Maurice Clarett in Purple and Gold? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maurice Clarett in Purple and Gold?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby cruiz03 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:47 pm

The Viks have always had great rushing numbers in the past, but Tice has been so inconsistant with his RB core that it's going to be hard for any RB in that system to be successful
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:51 pm

i never said he was better than anyone. but let onterio be featured in that system and he is a top 5 back.

Then, by definition, you're saying he's better than a LOT of running backs, including almost all of the ones mentioned. Not to mention, what you said in the first place was he would be a "top 5 back in the nfl." This has nothing to do with the system. Fantasy numbers have to do with the system. Whether or not he is a "top 5 back in the nfl" doesn't. I think it's time you tap out on this one.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:05 pm

FF Newbie wrote:
i never said he was better than anyone. but let onterio be featured in that system and he is a top 5 back.

Then, by definition, you're saying he's better than a LOT of running backs, including almost all of the ones mentioned. Not to mention, what you said in the first place was he would be a "top 5 back in the nfl." This has nothing to do with the system. Fantasy numbers have to do with the system. Whether or not he is a "top 5 back in the nfl" doesn't. I think it's time you tap out on this one.

gimmie a break with the semantics. you know what im saying. so youre saying being a top back in the nfl has nothing to do with the system?! i think clinton portis would have somthing to say about that.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:16 pm

If someone is one of the best 5 RBs in the NFL, that will be true no matter what team he plays for. Edgerrin James will be a top-5 RB whether he plays for the Colts, the Dolphins, or any other team this season. His production might go up or down a little, but he'll still be a top-5 back. Onterrio Smith, OTOH, isn't anywhere near a top-5 back playing for the Vikings or any other team. Ask yourself how many teams you think he'd start for in the NFL. Going by what you said earlier, you must think he'd start for at least 28 teams since there are 4 or fewer running backs in the NFL as good as Onterrio Smith. What 28 teams do you think he'd start for? Tap.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:25 pm

besides LT2 and maybe alexander, the only way you can rank these guys is by the numbers they put up. if he put up top 5 fantasy numbers then he would be considered a top tier nfl back.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:39 pm

So other than LT2 and "maybe" Shaun Alexander, are there any other RBs you would rather have on your team next season than Onterrio Smith? You can pick up to two of the following, but not more:

Edgerrin James
Priest Holmes
Willis McGahee
Ahman Green
Clinton Portis
Deuce McAllister
Jamal Lewis
Corey Dillon
Curtis Martin
Tiki Barber
Bryan Westbrook
Rudi Johnson
Domanick Davis
Chris Brown
Julius Jones
Kevin Jones
Steven Jackson
Tatum Bell
Lamont Jordan
Fred Taylor
Thomas Jones
Travis Henry
Marshal Faulk
Larry Johnson
Michael Pittman
Warrick Dunn
Deshaun Foster
Deuce Staley
T.J. Duckett
Michael Bennett
Lee Suggs
Reuben Droughns
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams

Remember, you can only pick two out of the above list that you would rather have on your NFL team as a GM than Onterrio Smith. Which two would you take or would you rank Smith ahead of everyone on that list? Tap.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:17 pm

I agree that there is a huge difference between being top 10 fantasy and top 10 talent in RBs. If we considered that all the guys who should start fulltime (or nearly) this year went all 16 games w/o injury I think they would finish something like this in fantasy production.

1. Holmes
2. Bell
3. Tomlinson
4. D. Davis
5. McGahee
6. Alexander
7. Lewis
8. James
9. Jordan
10. Dillon

Talent wise, as in, if I had to pick a runningback to start my team with for this year (not considering injury), I would rank them

1. LT
2. McGahee
3. James
4. McAllister
5. Lewis
6. Taylor
7. Holmes
8. Green
9. Alexander
10. Dillon

EDIT: Cause I forgot him :-D
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:30 pm

curious as to how alexander got left off the top 10 fantasy list :-?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:51 am

Back to Clarett.....

I have flip - flopped on my opinion on this guy several times before settling on "He's a moron".

ESPN.com has a video clip of him auditioning for some NFL teams where he speaks about his "Off the field problems". He says "He doesn't have any off the field problems. He had NCAA regulation problems. He never beat somebody up, or anything like that, so he never had any off the field problems".

O. K. :-/ It's everybody else's fault. What happens when he is faced with "Just" the NFL's regulations, or "Just" the USA's regulations. That may be a bit of a stretch, but you get my point. TAKE F&#^#ING OWNERSHIP OF WHAT YOU DID WRONG, and people will start to respect you again. Moron.

Oh, and....tap?
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:49 am

Anybody saying that Onterrio Smith is a top NFL RB is nuts. He's not even a RB, he's a ballerina. He loves to dance and prance around and hasn't learned how or is unwilling to put his head down and pick up a solid gain. Couldn't convert on a short yardage to save his life IMO. Try to hit a homerun on every play and you wind up with a .200 batting average, just like Onterrio. Maybe he could succeed.... in Seattle.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk