Portis Vs McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Vs McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chaindog35 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:43 am

mcgahee was the right choice
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Horizons » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:06 am

chaindog35 wrote:mcgahee was the right choice

No doubt based on last year's results and I don't see much this off-season to make me change my mind. Good choice ;-D
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:49 am

I think McGahee will have a significantly better year than Portis. Portis won't produce the same numbers he did in Denver, Washington's offense is too weak to facilitate a top RB.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Yes, McGahee will have a better year than Portis, as Washington is hellbent on having no offensive line, ever.

HOWEVER... I think we all are overrating McGahee just a little bit. 9th overall is not a horrid event that shall certainly bring about the downfall of man. Remember, McGahee is a young RB with a line that did not do a good job of improving over FA, and a QB switch. One may argue a switch from Bledsoe to Losman might not be so different, as Bledsoe is going way downhill (I sincerely hope not), but if that is true, would one make the same claim about... hmm... Kurt Warner and Eli Manning? If the answer is yes, then ask any Giants fan or Tiki owner about his production after the QB switch.

In short, for those of you who don't want to read the above paragraph, Mcgahee is coming into a season with a worse line and a young QB. Am I saying he'll suck? Of course not. But I can see why some would hesitate to draft him so early as some of you.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cruiz03 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:21 pm

No1.... I couldn't of said it better myself. With all do respect, even though he had a great year last year, it does not mean that it will cary on to this season. Look at J Lewis.... he had over 2k yards just a year ago, was drafted in the top 5 picks in many leagues and failed. DD ended the season on a good note and much like Mcgahee, he has been oversold.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Yes, McGahee will have a better year than Portis, as Washington is hellbent on having no offensive line, ever.

HOWEVER... I think we all are overrating McGahee just a little bit. 9th overall is not a horrid event that shall certainly bring about the downfall of man. Remember, McGahee is a young RB with a line that did not do a good job of improving over FA, and a QB switch. One may argue a switch from Bledsoe to Losman might not be so different, as Bledsoe is going way downhill (I sincerely hope not), but if that is true, would one make the same claim about... hmm... Kurt Warner and Eli Manning? If the answer is yes, then ask any Giants fan or Tiki owner about his production after the QB switch.

In short, for those of you who don't want to read the above paragraph, Mcgahee is coming into a season with a worse line and a young QB. Am I saying he'll suck? Of course not. But I can see why some would hesitate to draft him so early as some of you.

These are all good and valid points.However,there are two more points to ponder.One,in your favor,is that McGahee is not just young,but has only started a limited number of games(not exactly sure of the total,but I believe it was around nine),and hasn't really proven anything yet.The other point is that you have to predict the next big thing before it happens,thus reaping the most reward from getting that player.Based onm what we've seen,it could very well be McGahee.Now,for thoughts on Portis.I thought once out of Denver he would bust.Well,he was not quite a bust,but definitely not worth the pick he was drafted at.I stayed as far away from Portis as I did Ricky Williams,and plan to use the same strategy this year.Let him be someone else's headache.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:06 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:The other point is that you have to predict the next big thing before it happens,thus reaping the most reward from getting that player.

This is really more geared towards the idea of getting more value then you spent in the draft pick. Not the case here as you already have to spend a high pick on Mcgahee so there's not a whole lot of room to get extra value, since you're already spending a very high pick on him.

If I draft Isaac Bruce 3rd overall in the 1st round and he scores 15 TD's, I predicted the next big thing in Bruce, but it didn't really do me any good since I spent pick 1.03 on him anyway.

Now if I drafted him at 5.09 and he scored 15 TD's, that would be where the extra value is.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:41 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:The other point is that you have to predict the next big thing before it happens,thus reaping the most reward from getting that player.

This is really more geared towards the idea of getting more value then you spent in the draft pick. Not the case here as you already have to spend a high pick on Mcgahee so there's not a whole lot of room to get extra value, since you're already spending a very high pick on him.

If I draft Isaac Bruce 3rd overall in the 1st round and he scores 15 TD's, I predicted the next big thing in Bruce, but it didn't really do me any good since I spent pick 1.03 on him anyway.

Now if I drafted him at 5.09 and he scored 15 TD's, that would be where the extra value is.

Value is a little overrated.I can get a team with awesome value picks,but score the least amount of points.The point is always to get the team that scores the most points,regardless of value.I understand the thought that you are only getting what you pay for if you draft him high,but if you wait for a value pick on that particular player you may miss him,and someone else will be kicking your behind with him.It's nearly impossible to get someone like McGahee at a price he is worth,or less.You will almost always inevitably overpay,spend higher picks etc.,but if he has the season you expect,and he is the player you want,then the pick or money spent is justified.Maybe not the best value,but justified.If he underachieves,then you have to take your lumps and admit you made the wrong choice and move on.Not arguing your point of value as much as looking at it from a different perspective.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:57 am

Well, you lucked in McGahee, there... Peyton and Ahman have no business going in the top five.... What kind of scoring do you use that Peyton Manning went number 1?!? 20 yards per point and 6 points for a passing TD?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Smizzy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Well, you lucked in McGahee, there... Peyton and Ahman have no business going in the top five.... What kind of scoring do you use that Peyton Manning went number 1?!? 20 yards per point and 6 points for a passing TD?

Standard Yahoo
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk