Mr. Underrated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Mr. Underrated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mr. Underrated

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:06 am

Am I missing something here, or are people vastly underrating Rudi Johnson?

All this guy did last year was put up 1454yds rushing with 12 TD's against the toughest rushing schedule I've seen in years. Sure, he doesn't catch passes, but who needs to when you've got near 1500yds and 12 TD's just on the ground?

I mean, look at some of the games he had to go through (rank against the run in parenthesis):

Pittsburgh x2 (1)
Washington (2)
Denver (4)
NYJ (5)
New England (6)
Buffalo (7)
Baltimore x2 (8)
Dallas (10)
Philly (16)

That's right, 10 of his 16 games came against top 10 rushing defenses, and 5 of them came against top 5 rushing defenses, and he STILL put up 1500yds and 12 TD's on the ground.

No other runner in the league even came CLOSE to that schedule. Sure, he'll play Pitt/Balti twice again next year, but it's nearly impossible for his out of division rushing schedule to be that tough again (it was almost straight down the list of top rushing D's last year).

He's 25 so age isn't a concern. And everyone makes the point for KJ that he's in a "young up and coming offense," yet no one makes the same point for Rudi even though I think he's in a better young up and coming offense. I look at them as similar at WR with Cinci not having to deal with Harrington, and having a better line.

Yet he still seems to be falling to the mid-2nd round in most mocks, half a round or more behind guys like Green, Dillon, KJ, JJ, Westbrook, and Portis who did less or the same with a much easier schedule and have other concerns of their own.

He's gotta be one of the most underrated guys in the early going of drafts.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby CC » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:34 am

For real, Rudi is being totally ignored this year and should be a very good value pick, especially if you can team him with Edge/McGahee/Priest.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby Horizons » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:01 am

You're absolutely right, RJ is going under many people's radar this off-season...good call there. ;-D

PS: Could we please keep this on the low-low?? :-L
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2047
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:57 am

I agree. He hasn't been talked about much, and could be a great value pick if he goes at the end of the 2nd round in a 10 teamer or later.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4671
Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:05 pm

I like Rudi this year, but I probably won't be the team that drafts him this season. Too many questions on Carson Palmer and how they are going to implement Chris Perry. If Rudi falls to the bottom of his teir, I'll give him a look, but with the Bengals, you just don't know.

Nice read!
Image
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2078
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:I like Rudi this year, but I probably won't be the team that drafts him this season. Too many questions on Carson Palmer and how they are going to implement Chris Perry. If Rudi falls to the bottom of his teir, I'll give him a look, but with the Bengals, you just don't know.

Nice read!


Bingo...

the inevitable Chris Perry question always pops up. Now that the Perry factor is all about quelled, I am sure you'll find Rudi in the late first in most mocks this year.

Another point you bring up... Perry is in an up-and-coming young offense with a good line. Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Rudi is in a good offense with a good run system (remember Dillon? Me too) and a GOOD LINE (a VASTLY underrated one, at that, as RayVins will tell you... he's still giving me crap for when I said he was full of it for saying the same thing last year). Bengals making Rudi a top RB is the same way Denver made Quentin so good, or KC made Blaylock so good. Am I saying he is of their caliber, or worse? No, he is easily the most talented of those three... he's a fairly decent back. But he's no LT/SA/Priest/Edge...
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

Postby MeShawn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:05 pm

I agree, Perry is a definate problem. He has great talent and the Bengals aren't going to waste him. Before the draft last year, he was right up there with Jackson and Jones, but got stuck in a bad situation.

Just imagine one of the big 3 this year ending up in Houston behind DD.

He's coming back from hernia surgery that kept him out of the end of last season. He won't be the starter this year, but he or Rudi will be traded in '06.

80%-20% RBBC this year in Cincinatti. It's not going to be huge, but enough to put a dent into Rudi's carries. 1,250 yards and 9 TD's for Rudi. Still very respectable numbers, and is appropriate value for where he's going now. I wouldn't take him any earlier or later.

Perry will get something like 350 yards, 2 TD's.
Image
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3793
Joined: 9 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RayVins » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:06 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Bennett4prez wrote:I like Rudi this year, but I probably won't be the team that drafts him this season. Too many questions on Carson Palmer and how they are going to implement Chris Perry. If Rudi falls to the bottom of his teir, I'll give him a look, but with the Bengals, you just don't know.

Nice read!


Bingo...

the inevitable Chris Perry question always pops up. Now that the Perry factor is all about quelled, I am sure you'll find Rudi in the late first in most mocks this year.

Another point you bring up... Perry is in an up-and-coming young offense with a good line. Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Rudi is in a good offense with a good run system (remember Dillon? Me too) and a GOOD LINE (a VASTLY underrated one, at that, as RayVins will tell you... he's still giving me crap for when I said he was full of it for saying the same thing last year). Bengals making Rudi a top RB is the same way Denver made Quentin so good, or KC made Blaylock so good. Am I saying he is of their caliber, or worse? No, he is easily the most talented of those three... he's a fairly decent back. But he's no LT/SA/Priest/Edge...


this is true. the o-line means everything here because if you put a fat RB with OK speed like rudi johnson behind a line that doesnt block he never has room to gather that momentum that alows him to blow through tackles...

that coupled with warrick and johnson in the secondary always having to be covered, you have, basically, a poor man's version of DEN's OL and IND's pass game in the same offense. you have to defend both and somewhere in between you let rudi johnson slip through for 1500...
Last edited by RayVins on Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
Image
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1603
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pimpin' Purple Est. 1996

Postby RayVins » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:10 pm

and as for perry:

he just suffered a hernia so count him out for most of the season.

the ravens had to go through it with baxter and not only did he sit out for ahwile but it hindered his speed permanently...
Image
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
Image
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1603
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pimpin' Purple Est. 1996

Postby MeShawn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:13 pm

RayVins wrote:and as for perry:

he just suffered a hernia so count him out for most of the season.

the ravens had to go through it with baxter and not only did he sit out for ahwile but it hindered his speed permanently...


Source?


The Cincinnati Enquirer seems to disagree.


Mar. 17, 2005 - 11:43 am et

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis refuted reports that Chris Perry has undergone a second sports hernia surgery.
''The doctors said they did everything they had to do,'' Lewis said, talking about a January surgery. Perry may not be ready to start offseason workouts, but Lewis believes he'll be ready for June minicamp.
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Image
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3793
Joined: 9 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:47 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact