Fantasy commisioners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy commisioners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy commisioners

Postby ravage » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:14 pm

I commish a FFB league and will participate in at least two more, as an owner, this year. I hope I'm a good commish but I'm always trying to be better.

So what do you like to see in a fantasy commish? What do you dislike as a commish attribute? How should they handle rules changes, trading, preseason notifications, or any other thing you can think of?

I have a few examples both ways for me but would like to hear some of what everyone else thinks first.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy commisioners

Postby MCG321 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:17 pm

ravage wrote:I commish a FFB league and will participate in at least two more, as an owner, this year. I hope I'm a good commish but I'm always trying to be better.

So what do you like to see in a fantasy commish? What do you dislike as a commish attribute? How should they handle rules changes, trading, preseason notifications, or any other thing you can think of?

I have a few examples both ways for me but would like to hear some of what everyone else thinks first.

Good topic for discussion.

The commish has to treat himself like he treats anyone else in the league. If you have a veto system set up, the commish shouldn't be allowing his trades before the voting is up. He shouldn't be changing the rules midseason to give him advantage. Any changes should be made before the season, and if anything has to change during the season, the entire league must agree. Basically, the commish should be hands-off until a conflit arises...no need to butt in and make unnecessary changes.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:18 pm

The commish has to be fair, and like everyone else. Most importantly, he ahs to play fair and not abuse his powers.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:36 pm

i like the commish to set up everything before the season so there are no surprises...and surely not change any rules during the season unless it is a unanimous league vote. also obvious things like not abusing power.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Two things have to be in place for a "good" commish.

1. Have clear, set rules that the league follows.
2. Any changes to the above rules are allowed with a 2/3 majority vote during the offseason.

*EDIT* to add the bold.
Last edited by Bennett4prez on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:57 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:Two things have to be in place for a "good" commish.

1. Have clear, set rules that the league follows.
2. Any changes to the above rules are allowed with a 2/3 majority vote.

I'm only okay with number two if it's during the off-season. I'm against any mid-season changes.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ravage » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 pm

MCG321 wrote:I'm against any mid-season changes.
I have to agree with this myself. You draft by the rules in place if rules are changed midseason someone who followed the rules gets cheated.

I had one commish that changed a rule after the draft started, message board draft, without even notifying the league. That was my last season in that league. Note: He made the change after he made his first pick in a keeper. Adding in a point/Reception after he picked a WR who usually got about 90 receptions.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:27 pm

ravage wrote:
MCG321 wrote:I'm against any mid-season changes.
I have to agree with this myself. You draft by the rules in place if rules are changed midseason someone who followed the rules gets cheated.

I had one commish that changed a rule after the draft started, message board draft, without even notifying the league. That was my last season in that league. Note: He made the change after he made his first pick in a keeper. Adding in a point/Reception after he picked a WR who usually got about 90 receptions.

Yep, Some have changed scoring systems, lineup requirements, number of keepers, etc. those are a few that I have noticed throughout the years. Also some make decisions without consulting with the other league members first. Those are things I don't agree with.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:54 pm

The main issue is accountability. A commish has to be accountable to his league members. Besides the other obvious things such as abusing power, I like a commish to be decisive. Its a pain in the ass to have a commish sitting on the fence all the time. Just make a decision and go with it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:21 pm

Portisfan makes the point I was coming in here to make. Accountability. MCG321 goes over most of the best points also.

Also, whoever wins, pay out! I'm still burning over not being paid in my $$$ league. :-[
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk