Fantasy commisioners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy commisioners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:13 am

Here's what I try to do for my league as the commish of a 6 year local friends keeper league.

1. Communicate. This can't be stated enough. If you're always communicating with your owners..especially during the offseason, then you're investing in the prosperity of the league. Nothing breeds contempt more than silence.

2. Always incite change and suggestions. Rules, formats, scoring, etc. Owners want a say in how the league works. And it's never ok to answer the questions of change with "Well it's how we've done it in the past".

I always close each fantasy football season with the request of "Think of how we can make this league better. Have some proposals ready for next year". Then a couple months prior to the draft, I ping via email all the owners and ask them what they want to put on the table for the upcoming season. You'd be surprised how many scoring changes, roster limits, and starting requirements get modified from year to year.

3. FUN! The one time everyone gets together is always the draft. And that's the best time to make people feel like this is something they want to be a part of. Over the last six years we've went from dry erase board drafting, to huge construction sheets on the wall with markers, to last year buying draft software/draft board and hooking up a laptop. Projected the screen onto a widescreen 60" canvas. Had NFL Films music playing in the background. Yeah, my owners were geeked.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ravage » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:52 am

Here are some examples of how I have seen offseason rules changes handled in some of my leagues. Which way do you like? Do you have other examples of the way a commish handles things in a league?

1)I never played in a league like this but the commish admitted that this is the way he does it. This commish will take suggestions from the league but only impliments the changes he wants to. His rationale is that it's his league and he can do what he wants.
2)In this case the commish collects all suggestions and presents them in an offseason questionaire. Although the commish will not present a suggestion that he feels is not in the best interest of the league. He will present suggestions that he doesn't agree with. Only one suggestion in the 10 years of the league has not been presented.
3)All league suggestions are presented to the league through the commish. They are presented as they are presented to the commish.
4)The commish allows members to present proposals to the league.
5)The commish discusses changes with a select few league members and then makes the changes.

Which do you like? Think before you answer. Some of the five have potential diasaster written all over them.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:21 am

I actually started a league in which we have a Commisioners Committee...we call it the Triumvirate. All 3 members of the Triumvirate have all the same power. Any vetos or changes to the league must go through the Triumvirate.

Though we tend to ask the league its opinion on everything, the Tri is used for the final decisions, and tie breaking etc.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ravage » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:53 pm

proKrastinate wrote:Though we tend to ask the league its opinion on everything, the Tri is used for the final decisions, and tie breaking etc.
"Though we tend to ask the league it's opinion" That part seems no better than a commish making all the decisions for the league. What's the difference between one person making all the decisions and three of them doing the same thing.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:41 am

To me, all of those things are a given for commish. If you can't trust your commish, what is the point to that league?

One of the leagues that I commish that is a group of us that know each other, and pretty much see each other every day at work. This makes it a lot of fun for "bragging rights", "gloating", etc. I have tried to make it a little bit more competitive and fun by getting a huge trophy, and the winner every year gets a jersey of their preference. It really doesn't cost that much more, only about $10 more a year than league fees (This really only works when everyone knows each other or at least see each other throughout the year).

I also like to keep everyone informed, and keep the main page active one way or another. Whether it's Chat, articles, pictures, polls, information, or whatever, it keeps the lower half of the league involved when in other leagues you may start to see them lose intrest and leave their team alone. People seem to like it when I break down our draft at various points throughout the year as well.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby madmike » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 pm

I agree with other posts that commish has to be organized and do the planning up front and be ready for season (not changing crap mid-stream).

Lots of communication and keeping it fun (trash talking), and adding new ideas rules to keep it interesting from year to year. I run a friends league so we have invested in a trophy that we pass around each year and have the winners name engraved into.

I've taken the communication angle to new level this year by configuring a message forum for all the trash talking and league business on the side.

We don't use a voting system for trades, too much crap...commish has to be honest and OK all trades that aren't crazy bad.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:42 pm

Also be attentive and responsive to questions, concerns, suggestions in your league.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:44 am

I like the commish to be open about stuff, and from personal experience, I try to give the other teams as much say as possible so that it's our league, not my league. I just think allowing teams to vote on changes, trades, etc. keeps everyone happy and things run more smoothly. Also, admit when you screw up, because as a commish, it's going to happen some time.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ravage » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:14 am

chaindog35 wrote:I just think allowing teams to vote on changes, trades, etc. keeps everyone happy and things run more smoothly.
One of the biggest complaints I've heard from owners in several leagues is allowing owners to vote on every trade. They complain that when all owners get to vote they veto trades that should be allowed. Not because they're lopsided or collusion but because it will hurt their chances to win the division or eventually in the playoffs.

If owners vote on every trade how do you avoid this situation?
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:28 am

ravage wrote:
chaindog35 wrote:I just think allowing teams to vote on changes, trades, etc. keeps everyone happy and things run more smoothly.
One of the biggest complaints I've heard from owners in several leagues is allowing owners to vote on every trade. They complain that when all owners get to vote they veto trades that should be allowed. Not because they're lopsided or collusion but because it will hurt their chances to win the division or eventually in the playoffs.

If owners vote on every trade how do you avoid this situation?

Simply ask them to give a brief explanation as to why they want to veto the trade,and if they can't give a satisfactory answer,the commisioner has final say,plain and simple.On an unrelated subject,being too honest can hurt a commish if he is also a player.Last season I had put in a FA request,but someone had mentioned another owner who expressed an interest in the same player the same day.We didn't use a waiver system at the time,and as commish of the league i didn't want to seem as if I was favoring myself so we called him to ask and he said yes he was thinking about it,and since we had him on the phone he would go ahead and do it.Technically I had my request in first,but I let him have the player so I wouldn't be construed as a cheat.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk