A Patriots Vent - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Patriots Vent

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:39 pm

Also, if I'm not mistaken I read something about the Vikings screwing the cap by giving Brian Russell a $9 million special teams incentive bonus, and then not playing him on special teams at all. Cleared a ton of space for them.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:05 pm

FF Newbie wrote:That's one he'll wish he had back. What you said is ridiculous, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they "deserve" all 3 championships or compare them to the Cowboys or 49ers dynasties. What happened is they had good, but not great teams and got extremely lucky not once or twice, but all three times they were in the Super Bowl. Think about it, they really should not have won any of the 3 super bowls they've played in, much less all of them.

Sorry to say,luck doesn't just happen that often.It's hard work,and great coaching,plain and simple.As I said earlier,and as Mercer echoed,it's a team game,and they are the best team out there because they are willing to sacrifice to make the team better.Luck does absolutely play a part occasionally in football,but just not enough for a team to win 3,yes count them,3 Super Bowls.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:13 am

Flux wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:The signing bonus does have an effect on the salary cap, but it can decrease the amount of cap room the player takes up if they have a small contract but a huge signing bonus. Anyone who plays madden would know this. When you sign players, you save a ton of cap room when signing free agents if you decrease the salary and increase the signing bonus. It's the same way in the NFL.

Ill believe you if you explain to me how....

Look, if you sign a guy for 5 years at $1 million a year, and a $10 million signing bonus, he will count for $3 million a year on your cap. That would be his $1 million salary plus his prorated signing bonus of $2 million a year.

How does that actually save you more money than just signing the guy for $3 million a year?

Is that how it works? I was under the assumption that signing bonus had no effect on salary cap unless the player is cut.

So if you signed a guy for 5 years at 1 mil a year and a 10 mil signing bonus, you'd still pay 1 mil a year against the cap, and since the signing bonus is garunteed it doesn't count against the cap unless the player is released/traded prior to the end of the 5 years?

Of course I really have no idea, that's just the way I've thought it worked over the years, but I could definitely be wrong.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GMoney » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:43 am

No No Flux is Definately Correct here.

Singing Bonuses are still part of the cap. In Fact this is exactly how the niners got into Cap Hell.

We gave alot of the money we were offering players in the form of a bonus... then when we cut/traded/released this player we were still stuck with the rest of their Bonus on our cap figure.

As for the Vikes situation with Bryan Russell it was really quite smart (i think it was by accident though). When you offer an incentive laden contract a certain % of those incentives must count against the cap prior to the season starting (in case that player reaches those incentives) If in fact all those incentives were met and only 50% of them were accounted for in the cap figure then the other 50% is 'owing' this year......

The vikings however gave an incentive laden contract and had to account for 80% of that or something (7 million odd dollars i think) When Russell never met a single one of those incentives they then recieved that money they had counted against the cap last year as 'bonus' cap room this year....
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:11 pm

8-o

Nobody is going to believe me, but it makes sense, I wouldn't. I remember thinking about the Patriots, but I almost guarentee I never posted this. I can guarentee you I did no research. Wow, this is incredibly scary that not only do I not remember posting this, but I can think of nobnody that would have known what I was thinking and posted it. Good spelling and grammer, so I doubt I was tired. Hmm... well, I at least hope you enjoyed reading it. :-?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hastur » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:21 pm

Senate Committee: Did you or did you not sell illegal arms to Iran?

Oliver North: I don't remember

Senate Committee: <shows video of Ollie and Iran official trading weapons for money and shaking hands>

Oliver North: that wasn't me

Senate Committee: who was it then?

Oliver North: Somebody must've known what I 'wanted' to do.

Benn...err, Olliver writes book and makes millions

just kiddin, buddy. couldn't resist. :-o }:-) :-)
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:30 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:8-o

Nobody is going to believe me, but it makes sense, I wouldn't. I remember thinking about the Patriots, but I almost guarentee I never posted this. I can guarentee you I did no research. Wow, this is incredibly scary that not only do I not remember posting this, but I can think of nobnody that would have known what I was thinking and posted it. Good spelling and grammer, so I doubt I was tired. Hmm... well, I at least hope you enjoyed reading it. :-?

the one arm man do it?
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Heh, thanks for those last few comments, they actually made me laugh aloud.

And Yes, the topic of this thread is utter BS.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm

GMoney wrote:No No Flux is Definately Correct here.

Singing Bonuses are still part of the cap. In Fact this is exactly how the niners got into Cap Hell.

We gave alot of the money we were offering players in the form of a bonus... then when we cut/traded/released this player we were still stuck with the rest of their Bonus on our cap figure.

Uh, you completely contradicted yourself here.

You said no no no to my post but then said the 9ers got in trouble for signing guys to big bonuses and then cutting/trading them, which is exactly what I was saying would get teams in trouble with regards to bonuses.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby MadScott » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Doesn't every team "manipulate" the salary cap in some way in order to keep their best players around? :-?
Not our 49ers who have been "strapped in salary cap hell" since Skip was a pup. Bring back Eddie D!
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk