A Patriots Vent - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Patriots Vent

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:07 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
GMoney wrote:No No Flux is Definately Correct here.

Singing Bonuses are still part of the cap. In Fact this is exactly how the niners got into Cap Hell.

We gave alot of the money we were offering players in the form of a bonus... then when we cut/traded/released this player we were still stuck with the rest of their Bonus on our cap figure.

Uh, you completely contradicted yourself here.

You said no no no to my post but then said the 9ers got in trouble for signing guys to big bonuses and then cutting/trading them, which is exactly what I was saying would get teams in trouble with regards to bonuses.
Sorry for the double post but just wanted to chime in, the 49ers got into "salary cap hell" (which we truly aren't in, we just have a tight arsed ownership) because we had too much "dead" money from players that were not only not on our team but many were retired. You can extend these contracts out however many years you want, my understanding is that the signing bonus gets counted against your books whether they've retired or not.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:46 am

Free Bagel wrote:
GMoney wrote:No No Flux is Definately Correct here.

Singing Bonuses are still part of the cap. In Fact this is exactly how the niners got into Cap Hell.

We gave alot of the money we were offering players in the form of a bonus... then when we cut/traded/released this player we were still stuck with the rest of their Bonus on our cap figure.

Uh, you completely contradicted yourself here.

You said no no no to my post but then said the 9ers got in trouble for signing guys to big bonuses and then cutting/trading them, which is exactly what I was saying would get teams in trouble with regards to bonuses.

FB you are right in that signing bonuses still count as cap after a player leaves. Its guaranteed money that the team must pay.

I think he was saying no, no, no to mean that a signing bonus is still counted against your cap before a player is cut or traded.

So in my example before of a player signed for 5 years at $1 million a year and a $10 million signing bonus:

If he were to stay w/ the team for the extent of his contract he would count for $3 million a year. If the team were to cut him after 3 years, for the next 2 years he would count for $2 million a year against the cap.

The link I provided earlier probably describes it much better than I can,
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk