Titans will consider RB at #6 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Titans will consider RB at #6

Moderator: Football Moderators

Titans will consider RB at #6

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 pm

On their current roster the Titans have only two backs with NFL experience — tailback Chris Brown and fullback/running back Troy Fleming. Jarrett Payton is playing in NFL Europe, but he'll be fighting for a roster spot in the fall.

With starter Chris Brown having more injury problems last year — he racked up 1,067 yards but missed five games for the second straight season with injuries — there are still questions about his durability.

So if one of the Auburn backs, or Texas star Cedric Benson, remains on the board when the sixth pick rolls around, would the Titans consider selecting him?

''Oh yeah,'' Reese said. ''Again, we are going to try and get as much value for the spot, and if one of those running backs is worth a six pick, we wouldn't hesitate to take them.''

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans ... D=68079023

Reese would be Floyd Reese GM. It's only talk but it's the offseason and I want to scare some Chris Brown owners }:-)
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:15 pm

Smokescreen.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:24 pm

FF Newbie wrote:Smokescreen.

I don't know... this team has hit the crapper and a stud running back would be a good place to start rebuilding.

1) Jeff Fisher loves ball control offense and it's hard to do that when your RB can't pick up a 3rd and 1 or if he's on the sideline nursing his toe, hamstring etc...

2) It will be easier for whatever scrub offensive lineman they have to run block than pass block.

3) I don't think there is a defensive player who warrants pick 6. Now Braylon or Williams maybe but my bet is they are both gone by #5.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:39 pm

I think a stud RB like Cadillac Williams would be great for the team. I don't think they need a stud RB as much as they need a CB, but with the loss of Smith during the offseason, it could be a very smart move to draft a RB in the first round, considering that there is a gerat chance that brown will get hurt next season. However, since Chris Brown is still the starter, I think is would be smarter to draft a RB in the second round, where they can still get a good quality back, but not a stud since they still have a full time starter. The one thing I hope for it that the Titans won't draft a RB in the first round and create a RBBC. That would kill Chris Brown's value.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:46 pm

I hope it's a smokescreen. Otherwise the Titans don't really know what they're doing.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:49 pm

I agree CB is a more pressing need but the new contact rules make premier CB's pretty worthless. Did Champ Bailey really help the Broncos? All I remember is him getting lit up by Porter and CJ. The Patriots who are always ahead of the game already figured this out and rolled some nobody's out there... and still won. Ty Law was not missed at all. I say grab CB's in the late rounds and improve your defense in other areas. In the NFL today you must pressure the QB before those receivers can roam free as "untouchables".
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Absolutely a smokescreen...trying to get other teams to swap picks with them. So that they can get their rb. And Titans can get extra picks or something to rebuild their team

CBROWN is going to be a stud. Have you seen him run. probably not cuz of his injuries. But the guy can flat out truck the ball down field. Kinda reminds me of Larry johnson. Don't sleep on the Brown bandwagon.

Anyhow you cut it. Cbrown is a bettter prospect than any rb coming out of college at the #6 pick.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:11 pm

Yes I have seen Chris Brown run. One thing I do not doubt is he has the ability to gash garbage defenses for long TD's. Did you see him get stuffed on 3rd and 1 numerous, numerous times? It happened so much they started putting up Eddie George's numbers for comparison.

The end result 1067 yards. 256 against the Colts, 400 against the Chiefs, Bengals and GB. He also had two more TD's than fumbles.

I doubt this guy can take the pounding of a feature back and I seriously doubt he can pick up the tough yards necessary to keep drives alive or score TD's.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:53 pm

I'm gonna say that this is a ruse to attempt to trade down, but I'm also gonnna say that C Brown isn't that great. They could definitely benefit from grabbing a back in the draft maybe the 2nd or 3rd round but they have other needs and are using this to attempt to trade down IMO.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

FF Newbie wrote:Smokescreen.

Bingo. If they wanted a RB they would pick one in the 2nd or 3rd.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk