More draft talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Chicago Bears

More draft talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

More draft talk

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:19 pm

I listened to Chicago sports radio quite a bit over the weekend and of course the Bears draft came up. They talked to Tom Thayer (who I respect quite a bit) and he was of the opinion if Ronnie Brown fell to number 4 the Bears should definitely take him over a WR. He might have talked about other RB's but if he did I missed it. His point was that Brown was not only a good runner and receiver but had developed his blocking skills to the point where he could step in immediately and be effective.

Thayer did say that he felt Braylon Edwards was a bit better than Mike Williams. The other two guys on the show (Mike Adamle and Zach somebody) liked Williams. Then some guy called in and said it was dumb to think Braylon should be avoided just because he was from Michigan (kevinoc81, was that you?)

One thing that struck me is no one on the show thought TJones is going to be the stud many here on this board seem to think he is, and made it sound like his success was sort of a fluke. Thayer did say he is a good complete back. Right now the #2 back is Adrian Peterson, who apparently is such a poor blocker as to make him a liability while in the game. It sounds like A-Train has no chance of coming back.

Thayer did like Rex Grossman a lot, and said that he could do all the little things a top NFL QB could do that help his team win but that don't necessarily show up in the stats. I have been a Grossman skeptic, but as I say I think Thayer is pretty good and put some stock into what he says.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: More draft talk

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:11 am

Goatwhacker wrote:I listened to Chicago sports radio quite a bit over the weekend and of course the Bears draft came up. They talked to Tom Thayer (who I respect quite a bit) and he was of the opinion if Ronnie Brown fell to number 4 the Bears should definitely take him over a WR. He might have talked about other RB's but if he did I missed it. His point was that Brown was not only a good runner and receiver but had developed his blocking skills to the point where he could step in immediately and be effective.

Makes sense. A lot of people are saying Ronnie Brown is the most NFL-ready player (skill player, some say DJ or Rolle are) in the draft. I really don't think we can lose at #4 if we take Brown, Edwards, Williams, Benson, or Caddy, but I think we need to get a WR to grow at the #2 spot while Moose is here so he can become the #1 for years to come. I don't like drafting guys and dumping all that pressure on him to step right in and make a difference. If we take Edwards or Williams all the pressure should still be on Moose so they can learn the system and grow into a stud. You can't get mad though if they take a RB and he becomes the next (similar, there will never be another) Payton.

Goatwhacker wrote:Thayer did say that he felt Braylon Edwards was a bit better than Mike Williams. The other two guys on the show (Mike Adamle and Zach somebody) liked Williams. Then some guy called in and said it was dumb to think Braylon should be avoided just because he was from Michigan (kevinoc81, was that you?)

No. It wasn't me, but I like the guy already! Really, either would be fine for me. I think Braylon fits better across from Moose, and Williams is more like Moose. Like I said above, if we take one of the top five I think we win at the #4 spot. I just think WR fits today's needs more and RB fits the future's needs more.

Goatwhacker wrote:One thing that struck me is no one on the show thought TJones is going to be the stud many here on this board seem to think he is, and made it sound like his success was sort of a fluke. Thayer did say he is a good complete back. Right now the #2 back is Adrian Peterson, who apparently is such a poor blocker as to make him a liability while in the game. It sounds like A-Train has no chance of coming back.

I never thought A-Train was coming back anyway. I didn't know (always wondered) why Peterson got so little playing time. T. Jones is servicable and I think if he puts up studly numbers he will be a product of the system. I believe in the system though. I'm not saying Benson or Brown wouldn't be a better back, but I think T. Jones can succeed here if the line stays healthy. When healthy we have a sytem similar to Denver or K.C. (if A. Peterson and B. Forsey can have 100 yd. games, we have a pretty good system)

Goatwhacker wrote:Thayer did like Rex Grossman a lot, and said that he could do all the little things a top NFL QB could do that help his team win but that don't necessarily show up in the stats. I have been a Grossman skeptic, but as I say I think Thayer is pretty good and put some stock into what he says.

I am a Grossman fan because I need to be. I need to believe that he will be good enough to win. Not saying I have as much faith in him as Palmer, but I think he can win with protection and weapons around him. I think Grossman could easily be as good as, dare I say it, Tom Brady.

That's all I have for now. Good post Goatwhacker and I'll be tuned in to see what happens on April 23.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Chicago Bears