Vikings Need to trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings Need to trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:00 pm

I too think TB will go RB, but WR is not out of question, as they may think that Mike Williams could be the michael clayton of the draft: A young WR who does great for TB.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigGAME101 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I too think TB will go RB, but WR is not out of question, as they may think that Mike Williams could be the michael clayton of the draft: A young WR who does great for TB.

I agree...in retrospect an RB is most definately the way to go, especially is Brown falls that far (not too likely though). Now this doesnt take anything away from the other big 2, but Brown appears to be more complete. It would be ideal that Benson was taken, and then they take a WR in the 2nd, perhaps a guy like Chris Henry, who I personally think is an unbelievable WR. The only way I can see the Bucs taking a a WR is if Brown and Benson are gone, because despite popular opinion about the Bucs love for Carnell, I think Mike Williams is the better value at that pick.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:14 pm

The Vikings situation REQUIRES them to carry the given backs. Michael Bennett is their starting running back. Onterrio fills in for the less-than-durable Bennett and on 3rd down. Moe Williams provides goal line carries. Mewelde Moore is a back up in all fields. If the Vikings got rid of any of these players, they would need to severely alter their running attack. Picking 7th gives the Vikings a near 100% chance at landing Braylan Edwards, Mike Williams, or Derrick Johnson.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:01 pm

The way I see it I definitely agree with B4P. Unless Cle nabs DJ (possible) TB gets MW(more than possible) and Chi grabs Edwards(least likely IMO) then Minny will get DJ, MW or Edwards, which are all good for them.
If one doesn't fall then Benson will likely be there which would be bad for MInny.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:38 pm

If we don't get one of them, then somebody fell to us that shouldn't have (Ronnie Brown, Carnel Williams, Antrel Rolle). All of which I would be moderately happy with.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PSU All Day » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:27 am

[quote="GMoney"]dont ask me... they just arent.

they were all offered for 2nd round picks and there were no takers.....

i guess no one wanted to give them long term deals...[/quote]

It is not just the long term deals it is the signing bonus. The signing bonus is the only part of a contract that is guaranteed. That is why you see very large signing bonuses and very long contracts.

The signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract for cap consideration which means you have to have long contracts in order to make your cap hit reasonable.

You know either edge or SA are going to want to get paid as the #1 or 2 backs in the league. No one wants to do that these days because the cap hit is too large and the league is no longer a pound the ball type of league. Teams can get by without the best back in the world (Philly and NE are perfect examples).

Both Indy and Seattle know that and so tendered them both knowing they could match any offer and still sign them for less than the HUGE money they are going to demand if no one bites.

The teams that are in need of a RB either have a high enough pick to take a RB (Miami, Tampa, Arizona) or were good enough last year that they can live with a second or third round back (or trade for Henry who will be much cheaper).

Overall it is a very interesting situation.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 am

aussieboy wrote:
Edge and SA werent worth 2nd round picks.... Surtain isnt worth a 2nd round pick....

Why is that the case?

These players are proven talent. There is no gaurentee that any rookies drafted are going to pan out as expected, no matter where they're drafted. Why aren't teams willing to give up 1st or 2nd round picks for proven players that are already in the league?

Two words: contract discussions. No one is willing to part with a 2nd round draft pick they can have on their roster for multiple years at a very low cost (actual cost and cap cost), so that they can sign an overpriced 1-year loaner RB. You think there are no takers for Edge and SA? You're right, at the 6-7 million/year pricetag their agents are asking...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk