Jade Empire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Jade Empire

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jade Empire

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:58 am

Coming from a guy who loved KOTOR, this game looks to be insanely good, and reviews have pretty much confirmed this. Any Xbox fans out there want to give their 2 cents?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:59 pm

I also loved KotOR. But I decided not to get it. I heard that the RPG system is very simplistic. I like complex RPG's with a learning curve, otherwise they're too easy. I also heard that the gameplay itself is easy, and it only takes 20 hours to beat. Plus I'm not really a big fan of Chinese mythology and whatnot.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:00 pm

I'm thinking about it. I wasnt a big fan of KOTOR, so maybe something less complex would appeal to me. The reviews I read of it have sounded good.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I also loved KotOR. But I decided not to get it. I heard that the RPG system is very simplistic. I like complex RPG's with a learning curve, otherwise they're too easy. I also heard that the gameplay itself is easy, and it only takes 20 hours to beat. Plus I'm not really a big fan of Chinese mythology and whatnot.

20 hours? Yarrrrrrrr... :,-(

The biggest problem I had with Fable was that it was TOO DAMN SHORT. 20 hours isn't much better...

I guess I can always wait for a price drop.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kashikis » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:01 am

I just bought this game as a Bioware junkie, and a martial arts lover. So it was an easy sell for me. I love RPG's so that's where I stand.

As of right now I am really enjoying the game. The RPG elements are simplistic compared to the large scale ones like NWN and Morrowind. The main diversity of the game come from the fighting styles. These can be learned anytime for the right prices, and then upgraded at lvl up times.

Unlike Fable, the action is 1000% times better. Fable almost reduced itself to a hack and slash game. This has plenty of fighting but the need for several types of attacks for each fight keeps things interesting. After losing a particular battle several times you learn which styles work against certain foes and have to apply that correctly.

I haven't beat it but I've heard the 25 hour range on Normal is what they are looking at. Also remember this is hopefully the opening chapter to a series from Bioware, and for a first shot I am loving it.

You may not as much of a thrill from it, if you don't like asian mythology, but either way it is definately worth a look.

I'll update you later on the game, without spoiling it for you. I'm not an ass lol. :-b
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:51 pm

Wow - I completely forgot about KOTOR2. I got it when during Christmas Break (got past the first planet - not far), but my last quarter in college kept me too busy to play it. I'll have to dig that out this weekend. ...and Morrowind too - I'd always get a few hours into it, get distracted with something else, and have to start a new game...

I've never heard of this Jade Empire game, but if it's anything like KOTOR2, I'll have to check it out eventually. I 'spose I should also grab Fable if it's only $20 now (is it?). I rented it and beat it pretty quickly when it first came out, but I thought it was pretty fun - plus I only got to play as a good guy, never tried being evil.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tiki » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:48 pm

I saw the making of this game on TechTv and it looks really awesome I wish I had a X-Box. But they used actual fighting styles and a varity of them. The graphics are very pleasing to the eye as well! ;-D
Check out the Website http://jade.bioware.com/
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:17 am

Well, I'm 18 hours in and have a moral dilemma on fighting styles. I have collected quite a few and I like them all. The story line is still getting better IMO.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:55 pm

Kashikis: So you're 18 hours in and the end is still nowhere in sight? Interesting, I might have to rent it at least.

'Cuna: KotOR2 is awesome, once you get past the mining station and first planet it really starts to pick up. I made a hybrid Guardian/Jedi Master to be efficient in all kinds of combat. The only downside is that there is not really as big of a split ending depending on your choices as in KotOR1. The storyline is better though, in my opinion.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Kashikis: So you're 18 hours in and the end is still nowhere in sight? Interesting, I might have to rent it at least.

'Cuna: KotOR2 is awesome, once you get past the mining station and first planet it really starts to pick up. I made a hybrid Guardian/Jedi Master to be efficient in all kinds of combat. The only downside is that there is not really as big of a split ending depending on your choices as in KotOR1. The storyline is better though, in my opinion.

I disagree... KOTOR is much better than its successor. Thank the BioWare switch for that, in my opinion. Still an awesome game though... you better believe I'll get #3 when/if it comes out.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Video Games