Best Ways to Introduce Fantasy Sports to Newbies... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best Ways to Introduce Fantasy Sports to Newbies...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Ways to Introduce Fantasy Sports to Newbies...

Postby Warpigs » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:27 pm

As we all start building leagues and prepping for the 05 NFL Fantasy season (for me, it started right after the SuperBowl), I thought it would be nice to have a thread of how different people have introduced fantasy sports to people outside of the fantasy world as they invite them to join fantasy leagues. . .

Or, How did you first get into fantasy sports? How did your friends get you into the fantasy world?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Calyxes » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm

I always wanted to get into a league. My cousin had a money league going and a guy moved away and he asked if i wanted the team. I have been FF addict ever since.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:52 pm

About 11 years ago, one of my friends threw a party and talked us all into it..He bought the beer, food, supplies everything. After a few pops, it sounded like a great idea. That league is still going strong 11 years later...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Buncha guys on the football and basketball teams in college got together and began a disease known as fantasy sports. We do football and baseball and its pretty hard core. Good way to stay in touch with the fellas after college.......

My first year I played basketball too, but Ben Wallace got hurt during the last 2 weeks of the season and I lost the championship because I needed 2 more rebounds. I was hooked, but ever since then I've hated fantasy basketball.

Last year I won my first titles with those guys, taking both baseball and football in the league with the college buddies. Needless to say, I am now hated and plotted against. They even created a waiver rule limiting each team to 10 waiver moves per year because I picked up Muhammad and McGahee this last year. Losers. :-)
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Pretty simple actually... my friend invited me to join his baseball league, and my fantasy passion naturally dragged into football. ;-D

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hastur » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:12 pm

For years I would say the fantasy aspect takes away from the game. Then, august 2002 my best friend was called into work on the night of his draft. He called me and asked me to go draft for him. As soon as I hung up with him, a fantasy football special came on HBO, and I wrote down almost everything they said. Armed with that info, drafted that night. With a total of 0 experience. My friend went on to the championship game that year. Guess I did o.k.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:36 pm

I won't say how long ago it was,because I honestly can't remember(probably about 10 years or so),but I was always into buying whatever sports rag was on the rack and I stumbled across a fantasy magazine,saw some rules on how to play,and that was it.I went and found as many friends as I could that would play(a mere 7,including myself),recruited a guy that could care less but was willing to take the money if he won,and my first 8 team league was born.It wasn't until last year that we were able to move to 10 teams,and now this year we are doing 12,with a 13th waiting to see if someone drops,or we add a 14th.Last couple of years have been great!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:42 pm

Last fall, my friend invited me into a fantasy league with a bunch of guys from school. I knew barely anything about fantasy football, but I managed to win the two leagues we played, not by having the best fantasy football knowledge, but by being an amazing fantasy GM. Now look at me.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:09 pm

My story sounds pretty similar to many here. I was sitting around having some pops with some buds as they were conducting a draft one year. I chimed in on a couple of picks that hit decently that year and so when a spot came open in the league, I took it.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:42 am

I first got into fantasy sports with my father. Must've been maybe 10 or 11 when I first tagged along to one of his fantasy drafts, and it was just an insanely good time. I'm not sure if it was the actual fantasy football, or just the wings, potato skins, and food that was there that first hooked me...but I joined a couple yahoo leagues after that, and never looked back. Now, six years later, I'm in many leagues with friends, and a couple on the Cafe too. And of course I'm addicted to the Cafe, as well.
;-D
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk