Miami Dolphins taking Alex Smith QB???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Miami Dolphins taking Alex Smith QB????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Miami Dolphins taking Alex Smith QB????

Postby Bottled Aggression » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Miami Herald reports:
Apr 15 2005 12:26PM

The Dolphins are expected to take quarterback Alex Smith with the second overall pick in the draft. A source said coach Nick Saban has decided to go with Smith instead of one of the top three running backs expected to be available. But the Dolphins are also in discussions with at least one team about trading their pick.

Well.......If they decide to trade their pick, would the Vikings benifit from trading for the #2 pick?
Here is my senerio...
Vikings give Miami the #7 pick and Michael Bennett. (This way they will get their RB, plus fill the hole at QB with the pick at #7, considering all of the teams from #3-#6 need other positions other than a QB, with the exception of Cleveland possibly at #3).
The Vikings take Ronnie Brown RB at pick #2, then select the best WR available at pick #18.
It would be nice for the Vikings to have a great running game and hope it will open the passing game. Plus a greatly improved Defense. Good things could happen.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:33 pm

Mike Bennett is going to solve the Dolphins running game? No offense to B4P, but Bennett is not a feature back. The Vikes should be just fine with Bennett and Onterrio, with Mewelde as a change of pace guy.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:08 pm

"A Source"...

Probably the janitor at Pro Player Stadium or something. I wouldnt bet on this trade happening, or either scenario happening. It makes no sense.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bottled Aggression » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Mike Bennett is going to solve the Dolphins running game? No offense to B4P, but Bennett is not a feature back. The Vikes should be just fine with Bennett and Onterrio, with Mewelde as a change of pace guy.

I don't think Bennett will be the savior of Miami, but if Miami can fill the hole of RB ( Bennett is definitely better than anyone on their team at RB ), and they could still possibly get their QB.

That would mean, two offensive holes would be filled, instead of just one if they keep the 2nd pick.

Just thougth I would explain a little better since some people may not have understood.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SiouxCitySavages » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:37 am

Ricky is gonna come back to Miami...that's probably the main reason that they take Smith with their first pick...Not only that, but Smith has been impressive during his combines...The Dolphins do need a QB more than they need a RB....If Ricky don't come back, then I see Miami looking at Travis Henry...
SiouxCitySavages
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:44 pm

I'm sure there is some validity to them liking Smith but from what I've heard, the plan seems to be to give Feely at least a year to prove whether or not he can be a starter. The RB situation definitely seems more pressing. Alas, just another smokescreen thrown out there.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:53 am

Bottled Aggression wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Mike Bennett is going to solve the Dolphins running game? No offense to B4P, but Bennett is not a feature back. The Vikes should be just fine with Bennett and Onterrio, with Mewelde as a change of pace guy.

I don't think Bennett will be the savior of Miami, but if Miami can fill the hole of RB ( Bennett is definitely better than anyone on their team at RB ), and they could still possibly get their QB.

That would mean, two offensive holes would be filled, instead of just one if they keep the 2nd pick.

Just thougth I would explain a little better since some people may not have understood.

fill the RB hole, eh? kind of like Lamar Gordon, right? Or perhaps Brock Forsey? ;-7

Miami's had their fill of "potentially" great RBs. They need a stud, now. This trade you propose won't happen.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bottled Aggression » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:10 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Bottled Aggression wrote:

fill the RB hole, eh? kind of like Lamar Gordon, right? Or perhaps Brock Forsey? ;-7

Miami's had their fill of "potentially" great RBs. They need a stud, now. This trade you propose won't happen.

So....you are saying it is not possible for Bennett to get a 1000 yd year?
In Miami, they do not have RBBC. Which means, Bennett will get injured early, or do well in that situation. If he breaks thru the hole, Bennett is gone.
I'm sure most people still don't understand what I meant by this thread.

If Miami can get a top QB in the draft and get a decent RB, better than they have now, then they are better off than just taking a top RB or getting a QB at pick 2. Apparently I was not clear on this, sorry.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:22 pm

I think that if the Vikes traded up to 2 they would take braylon edwards, if available.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Football Talk