Draft Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Draft Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Talk

Postby Flux » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:46 am

So, now that Jamie Sharper signed w/ the Seahawks, that potentially leaves an extra area of need for us in the draft.

What do you guys think are our greatest needs for the draft?

Marvin has stated that we could use our 1st rd pick on either an offensive or defensive player. A lot of mocks have us taking a DT, but I personally dont think that is the direction we are going to go. That is a need, but we have already signed and re-signed players at that position, and have both starters and 2 backups (if I remember correctly) at that position.

ILB may be another option, but once again Marvin has already been on record stating that Landon Johnson is the man there and its his job to lose, even if Wayne comes back by camp. With such confidence in Johnson, I dont see us using a 1st rounder on a position that we have such a young starter for.

Our Center position definitely could use some depth and youth at, but taking one at 17 isnt really an option. We could trade down and possibly out of the 1st (to an early 2nd) and then try and pick up Baas or Spencer.

Another option would be taking a TE, and the only worthwhile one this year is Heath Miller. He could go anywhere in the draft, but taking him at 17 probably is a little early and we would probably trade down if we really wanted him.

Then again, Marvin surprised us all w/ the Perry pick last year, so anything can go. We have needs, but none are so crucial that we have to go w/ a certain position. That at least can give us the option of trading down and gaining picks, or going w/ the best player left on the board. We have a ton of options.

This should be a fun draft though, and I have a feeling we arent going to be picking at #17 unless someone falls that we really want.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pdub » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:14 pm

what about a safety? thomas davis or brodney pool maybe?

i don't think we'll take a lb.

if we stay at 17, heath miller is the only guy i really like.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby pdub » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm

just heard on the radio that heath miller is coming off of a hernia operation, so i doubt we'll want to go through that again.

i know i heard some talk on here a while ago about matt jones being converted to te. that would be interesting...

the more i think about it tho, the more i think we'll trade down and pick defensively.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:48 pm

pdub wrote:just heard on the radio that heath miller is coming off of a hernia operation, so i doubt we'll want to go through that again.

i know i heard some talk on here a while ago about matt jones being converted to te. that would be interesting...

the more i think about it tho, the more i think we'll trade down and pick defensively.

If it werent for the hernia operation, Miller most likely would have been a top 10 or so pick. He would be a risk, but just think about what he could do for us. By having a TE who can catch, safeties would have to respect the middle of the field more, which would leave CJ and TJ with many more opportunities to go down the field in 1 v 1 coverage. It would also give Carson a safety valve to just dupm passes off to, which we really need since Rudi isnt much of a receiver.

Not that our offense was hurting, but we REALLY could open things up w/ Miller in there. Its just hard to ignore the D when it was the biggest problem last year.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pdub » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:55 pm

i hear you.

i remember a recent press conference tho were lewis said the #1 question he asked himself about drafting a player was, "is he healthy?", so i don't know how high they'll be on miller.

i'd be happy if we played it safe and worked on the d, maybe grabbing a center later on. being a bengal's fan on draft day is such a nightmare. i have a feeling we'll do well this year tho.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:19 pm

I'm back and forth on what I'd like to see happen. One thing I would definitely like though, would be a trade down for an extra later pick. With the way coach Lewis evaluates talent in the later rounds, I think an extra 3rd or 4th rounder could be golden. Staying at 17, I like Pollack, Thomas Davis, Williamson, Merriman.....if Demarcus Ware could last then absolutely he would be who I'd take. I like him a lot. Some later picks that intrigue me are Courtney Roby, Vincent Jackson, Channing Crowder (despite the risk), Antaj Hawthorne (if he slips enough due to his recent test), Heath Miller (if we could move later in the first round), Boomer Grigsby (late), Ernest Shazor, Kevin Burnett (wouldn't be suprised at all to see him end up with us)....etc. I'm sure there will be some guys that we take that we will be thinking, "who the hell is that" but end up being solid (ie. Madieu Williams, Robert Geathers). Can't wait for the draft. ;-D I'm sure we'll be chiming in after it unfolds. Who Dey.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby dave416 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Can't wait for tomorrow fellas. Watching NFL Live the last couple of days, they believe that Cincy may get Eramus James, who would have been a top 10 lock if it wasn't for his injury this year. I really like James, and although the injury worries me a bit, this guy has produced every time ive watched him. Anyway we will see tomorrow. Hopefully we will be back with positive analysis.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Turnip » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:27 am

I still say we trade town, we have no glaring weaknesses IMO.

DT could be a concern but I think Matthias is the answer there.

ILB if Webster can't recover well, but like you said, we do have Landon there and he has potential.

We'll draft a center probably, but not in the first round. Braham can handle it this year though.

Heath Miller intrigues me...not a dire need now either, but we really don't have a dire need, and Heath has a lot of potential. Imagine if he lives up to his potential, Carson would have one more nice target.

I'm sure someone who can play safety will be drafted..but I am a Kim Herring fan. I just hope we trade down. Honestly I would be pleased if we traded out of the 1st round. But I imagine we'll reach for someone rated really high in ML's eyes, and still be somewhat pleased with the pick.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:14 pm

Now that the draft is over, I can say that I'm very happy with it. I absolutely love our first 3 picks in Pollack, Thurman, and Henry. Pollack is a guy that needs no pimping after what he accompished at Georgia. Thurman is going to be an animal out on the field imo. He plays angry and with a mean streak. Henry is a big upside pick. Kiper said, "first round talent" after the pick was made. His character/attitude issues forced him to drop a bit, but Marvin says that he met with him extensively before the draft and feels fine about him. This kid has great size and big play ability. Pacman Jones said on NFL network before the draft that Chris Henry would be the steal of the draft, and that he is the toughest receiver he ever covered.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:26 pm

If you want to see highlights of our picks click here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=1&dl=nfl

Then click on the little camera looking thing next to the player's name. Make sure you watch the Chris Henry one B-) .

Quote from the War room.

That being said, Henry could develop into the best wide receiver in this class with a major injection of emotional maturity -- a difficult trait to teach. All the negatives considered, Henry has too much potential and will not drop past the middle of Round 2. A team with a bigger stomach for risk might even gamble on him in Round 1 –- remember, the Steelers took Plaxico Burress in Round 1 and he was no choir boy.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Cincinnati Bengals