Browns Narrowing Down the #3 Pick... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns Narrowing Down the #3 Pick...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns Narrowing Down the #3 Pick...

Postby RayVins » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Browns | Like Michigan's Edwards
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:33:06 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns are impressed with Michigan WR Braylon Edwards, who is ranked among the top draft prospects this year. "Of course, Braylon is getting a lot of attention from the national media as far as potentially being with the Browns (at the No. 3 overall pick)," said general manager Phil Savage. "He had a great senior year. I happened to be at the Michigan State game where he had one of his marquee moments. He can get downfield and score touchdowns. He had a fabulous career at Michigan." Savage said Edwards is rated above USC WR Mike Williams on the team's draft board. "Braylon has the proven track record, he's got the big-school pedigree and he's produced in big games," Savage said.

it looks more and more like CLE, if they stay at #3, will be taking braylon edwards even though WR is by far not their biggest need.

after months of speculation that CLE would take a QB, phil savage throws everyone a curve with the edwards rumors.

we'll see on saturday at any rate...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:47 pm

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of this happening ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RayVins » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:49 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of this happening ;-D

why? you dont nead another WR...

what you should be hoping for is to trade down...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Which is probably what they want also,so of course they would spout off about taking a highly coveted WR.Everyone knows the Bears are high on him,and a couple other teams wouldn't mind getting their paws on him as well.If they could drop a couple of slots(Minnesota's 7 maybe?)and pick up something in return,it would be in their best interest to make people think that's who they want.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:41 pm

RayVins wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of this happening ;-D

You are correct in saying the best option for the Browns in to trade down but if they doesn't happen then Braylon would be welcomed with open arms here in Cleveland. I say this b/c he is arguabley be would be the best player available with the 3rd pick. Plus, Braynt and A. Davis' contracts expire this year.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:44 pm

Browns would be idiots to take Edwards. He is an amazing athlete and arguably the best not only WR, but player in the draft. However, a top 3 pick is very rare (about once a decade!). The Browns need to assess their needs. They can sign back their WRs. If they pass on a need position like Alex Smith or Derrick Johnson, it would be a very big mistake.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:05 pm

I disagree completely B4P, since a top pick is so rare it is important to make the most out of them. This means drafting the best player available, while Smith and DJ would both be great picks (I doubt Smith will be there) drafting Braylon makes a lot of sense if they have him rated higher on their boards.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:00 pm

If they pass on Alex Smith with that pick, it will likely haunt them. If both QBs go #1 and #2, then sure, I say let them draft the best player at any position left, but with the huge need for a signal caller they have, they can't afford to pass up franchise talent like Rodgers or Smith.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 pm

RayVins wrote:

Ditto that. I'd either go that route OR go for Alex Smith. They desperately need a franchise QB to help them.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UtopianHopes » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:52 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:Browns would be idiots to take Edwards. He is an amazing athlete and arguably the best not only WR, but player in the draft. However, a top 3 pick is very rare (about once a decade!). The Browns need to assess their needs. They can sign back their WRs. If they pass on a need position like Alex Smith or Derrick Johnson, it would be a very big mistake.

Nothing personal, but let check the browns history in the past 6 drafts the browns have had a top 3 pick for 3 of the 6 years (Tim couch selected first overall, C. Brown first overall, and G. Warren 3rd overall). They were also close with the 6 overall last season. I think if the browns fan can depend on one thing during all the misery they have gone through since the team came back is that every year when april arrives they are seating pretty at the top.

I also see it hard press for the browns to trade down when it seems everyone in the top 3 want to make a move. This could just be a move just like the dolphin saying they would take qb alex smith just to see who might get nervous and want to trade up. I think no one has any real idea what going on, but I am worried that with such a high demand to move down and little amount of teams wanting to move up. The dolphins and browns can get in a bidding war and ask for less compensation.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk