Monday Night Football to be on ESPN. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Monday Night Football to be on ESPN.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, as long as the ESPN team doesn't do the announcing, I don't mind if its on ESPN. I really like Michaels and Madden, even though Madden is rambles and makes no sense at times. :-b
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:26 pm

I guess it doesn't affect me that much, but it will still be weird not turning on ABC for the monday night game.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:34 pm

I agree, keep it on regular TV. :-t

:-t :-t To Theismann. Here's to hoping that LT finds him again. ;-7 8-o
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:18 pm

MNF should stay on on national TV. Good marketing ploy though for cable companies. If I had any money I would buy some stock now in any of the cable companies. I am sure that the will add customers so people can watch football on Monday nights.

Just a thought but my bar beers may go up because now the bars will also have to pay extra to get cable and you know who that gets passed onto.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:20 pm

that just made my portable color tv i bought specifically for watching football at work a little less valuable :~( they need to be leavin that stuff on national tv. good thing ill have the nfl ticket and tivo this season :)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:43 pm

I think it is hilarious that the pompous a55e5 that run the NFL worry about the image and tradition of the league and then turn around and sell out to the highest bidder.

MNF was a tradition, a modern day pasttime in America. There used to be parties on Mondays based around viewing the game. People went to work tired on Tuesdays because of MNF. Now the idiots or Tagliaboobs are taking MNF away from the fans. Way to safegaurd your tradition, Tagliaboob. My brother has a TV in his garage that he used to watch MNF on because his wife locked up the cable with home shopping network or whatever they watch. But he would watch the game. I used to watch the game in my bedroom on TV because the family didn't share my love for football. No more. Monday night will never be a special as it used to be.
The tradition has been killed by the very people who claim to be it's protectors. Et-tu(sp), Tagliaboob?
In the immortal words of ex-Lions WR Johnny Morton, Tagliaboobs instead of protecting the game "you gave it up like a $2 dollar whore".

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby RayVins » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:45 pm

with taglia-douche its all about the money, so i cant say i am suprised...

he really did give us cable-less the knife here and thats why i hate him as the nfl's comissioner...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:14 am

This isn't a Tagliabue, or even a new thing. This higest bidder thing has gone on since the very beginning. The NFL is successful because of the way they have been able to manipulate the different networks to give the NFL more money. Even the first negotiations were supposed to be done by sealed bids, but it appeared that the winning network (can't recall which one it was at the moment) had a "tip" and gave just a slightly higher bid.

Every NFL carrying network claims to lose money by getting the rights to whatever they get, but they say it is worth it in the long run for other peripheral money.

The NFL became more successful than baseball because of it's use, and manipulation of television.

I am not supporting the move, I too wish that MNF would stay the same, but to blame Tagliabue is a little misplaced.

BTW, it was Tagliabue who saved the NFL during their antitrust lawsuit days from the USFL. (He was just a representative for the NFL as an attorney at the time).
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:22 am

The biggest thing that upsets me is the terrible announcing of Macguire and Theissmann. Please don't make me have to listen to them on Monday nights!!!!!

I found this article to be pretty funny (and accurate!).
http://paulkatcher.com/archives/000565.shtml

"The ESPN Sunday Night Football Drinking Game (soon to be MNF Game)
Earlier this year, when I wrote a post titled ESPN's Sunday Night Football Crew Worse Than Gigli, I said, "I now look forward to [Paul] Maguire beginning his analysis with the superfluous and grammatically incorrect, 'I'm a tell ya what...' If you added that reference to a drinking game, the whole place would be puking by halftime."

Well, get out your barf bags.

Here's how to play:

• Set yourself up with a minimum of six beers for the three-hour game. If the Ravens are playing (and they are just about every other week), grab eight.
• Take the assigned number of swigs — about the equivalent of one ounce, or 12 swigs per bottle/can. Do NOT drink when Paul Maguire is speaking. You might spit it up.
• If any of the "chug" criteria is met, you must finish your beer, even if you have to take a leak really badly.

DRINK WHEN MIKE PATRICK...
1 - Raves over the offensive line on a three-yard run
1 - Says a player is one of the best in the NFL when you can name 10 others at his position who are better
1 - Says the home crowd is making it too loud to hear, even though your neighbors can hear him through your TV
1 - Says "What a day in the NFL!"
1 - Says "Are you kidding me?!"
1 - Describes a play as "unbelievable," "amazing" or "incredible." Important: the play itself does not have to be remotely unbelievable, amazing or incredible
1 - Refers to a player as "one of the all-time greats"
1 - Calls a player one of the most underrated in the league

2 - Makes you lower the volume
2 - Says "Let's go down to Suzy Kolber. Suzy."
Chug - Says "Let's go down on Suzy Kolber. Suzy."
Chug - Breaks your ear drum

DRINK WHEN PAUL MAGUIRE...
1 - Prefaces any analysis with "I'm a tell ya what."
1 - Says "I'm gonna tell ya something" right before actually telling you something
1 - Says the word "watch" more than twice on any instant replay, as if you were doing anything but watching
1 - Says something you didn't already know
1 - Admits to being scared of Ray Lewis
1 - Says he talked to a player/coach earlier in the week
2 - Calls Theismann "Joseph"
Chug - Calls Theismann "an idiot"

DRINK WHEN JOE THEISMANN...
1 - Utters the phrase "like a Bill Parcells."
1 - Mentions his own playing career
1 - Points out a flaw in a quarterback's mechanics, whether or not the replay backs it up
1 - Says "What impresses me most about..."
1 - Mentions Notre Dame in any capacity
1 - Says he talked to a player/coach earlier in the week
1 - Says "If I'm the [insert team here]..."
2 - Offers a team advice "if they wanna win this game," as if they're on the fence about whether or not they want to win
2 - Refers to his punting career (one punt for one yard in 1985)
2 - Predicts a penalty that goes the other way
Chug - Refers, again, to any historical genius as "Norman Einstein."

DRINK WHEN...
1 - Ray Lewis is mic'ed up
1 - Ray Lewis is mentioned when the Ravens aren't playing
1 - A special-teams coach is said to have done "a great job"
2 - One of the three announcers accuses another of avoiding dinner checks
Chug - A drunken Hall of Fame quarterback hits on a marginally attractive sideline reporter
Chug - The Ravens are playing and anyone but Ray Lewis is mic'ed up
Chug - Any of the SFL crew mentions Ray Lewis' criminal record."
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:51 am

this sounds like an awesome drinking game...

2 things though:
#1- i wouldnt chug when anyone besides ray lewis mic'd up because last time it was ed reed and dont expect it to be anyone else in the future.
#2- the mentioning ray lewis doesnt happen as often as them mentioning the ravens as a whole...

i hope to see this many times in the future:
Chug - A drunken Hall of Fame quarterback hits on a marginally attractive sideline reporter

cause thats just good TV...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk