Monday Night Football to be on ESPN. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Monday Night Football to be on ESPN.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:08 am

Some good news about the changes:

-NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. The network plans to use a flexible scheduling model that in the last seven weeks, allowing it to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.

-The NFL will continue to show all cable games on free, over-the air television in home markets. That means that local stations will carry ESPN's Monday night games in the cities of the teams involved.

-He said the network(NBC) hasn't started working on finding anchors for the Sunday night broadcast. "We're celebrating for a day. Then I'm sure we'll get a lot of calls."(They could pick up a couple of bums and they would be better than who was on Sunday nights before!)
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nebula » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:26 am

The Sunday night crew is sooo bad it’s painful.
ESPN (Dr. Z) rated the announcers. Sunday night got Zero out of Five stars. ;-D :-) :-o

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/w ... index.html

Santacruzer, I think you should add something for when Paul says, "you think these guys aren’t trying out there" I hate that with a passion.
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:34 am

Santacruzer wrote:This isn't a Tagliabue, or even a new thing. This higest bidder thing has gone on since the very beginning. The NFL is successful because of the way they have been able to manipulate the different networks to give the NFL more money.

The NFL became more successful than baseball because of it's use, and manipulation of television.

BTW, it was Tagliabue who saved the NFL during their antitrust lawsuit days from the USFL. (He was just a representative for the NFL as an attorney at the time).

This is exactly the problem and Tagliaboob & Co. are to blame. Prior to the proliferation on cable and satalite TV services the auctioning of TV rights was a wise way to make the best deal. The NFL was already gaining by leaps ond bounds over baseball. That's why they could open it up to bidding. Thank Rosell for the amazing success the league had. Tagliaboob is just a high price lawyer who with a high priced team defeated an upstart league that couldn't defend it's position well enough. And remember the NFL lost that decision. The USFL just couldn't(suspiciously) get more than a dollar compensation.

The continued reliance on selling to the highest bidder shows the league is on auto-pilot. While getting the highest yielding short term contract they are doing it at the cost of the young fans that are vital to the future growth of the league. The Corperation got richer. In a few years when they start to whine about lower TV ratings turn a deaf ear as they'll have only their own short-sightedness to blame. Tag-holes. :-t :-t :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:58 am

It's no secret that MNF has been losing tons of cash in the last several years...so moving it to ESPN was probably a smart business move for ABC - and might not have had anything to do with Tagliabue.

They can use their revenue on their other shows that are more popular and possibly make money competing against the other stuff the networks put on.

(I personally don't see how they could have lost money showing football games at all, but that's the word on the street.)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:57 am

Mercer Boy wrote:It's no secret that MNF has been losing tons of cash in the last several years...so moving it to ESPN was probably a smart business move for ABC - and might not have had anything to do with Tagliabue.

I'm sure that is exactly what it is. ABC did the move. Can you imagine some VP or CEO of ABC going "ESPN did what? To us? But...But...But...that's it, I'm calling Disney :~( ."

This was their move.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:09 pm

Well,just off the top of my head I think if they would have made it more interesting,people might have continued to watch!They had some pretty crappy games on,and stupid skits that had nothing to do with football,no wonder they were losing money.I just wish another network was given a crack at it.ESPN games are the absolute worst,and they probably just killed MNF for good with this move.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:20 pm

Santacruzer wrote:-NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. The network plans to use a flexible scheduling model that in the last seven weeks, allowing it to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.

The only problem that I have, is that on the west coast it will start at 5:15pm. I don't get off of work until 5pm. I understand the frustrations with the east costers, games not getting over until midnight or so. But dang it, I would like to see the whole game. And no I don't have tivo.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby drsteuss » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Tagliabue had no choice. ABC offered $400 million a year for MNF. ESPN's contract will pay $1.1 billion. If Tagliabue had taken ABC's offer, the owners would have had him shot. Economically, ABC didn't really want it anymore.

So blame them, not Tags. Tags knows Sunday is the more watched night for TV anyways, so shifting the network broadcast to that night (with the game starting at 8:10) should help boost MNF's sagging ratings.

On ESPN, the game will now start at 8:40 PM. This isn't a great improvement for us East coasters, but it's not bad.

As for the announcers, Michaels and Madden both have their contracts expire after this coming season, so other networks (like, duh, NBC) will be able to court them.

ESPN has increasingly sucked year after year since they were bought by Disney (and since Stuart Scott arrived). But even so, I find it hard to believe even they would be dumb enough to continue on with Patrick, McGuire, and Theismann. The three of them combined are sheer agony to listen to. No one with two ears could possibly imagine Roone Arledge would want those three retards on an MNF broadcast. But ESPN put them on Sundays to begin with, so you never know.

Then again, Pro Football Talk thinks ESPN will put Berman, Steve Young, and Jim friggin' Rome in the booth. Frankly, I don't know which would be worse.

My hope: Madden and Michaels jump to NBC, while ESPN gets Marv Albert and a token analyst (Young?) for Monday nights. Would anyone be against this?
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:10 pm

drsteuss wrote:My hope: Madden and Michaels jump to NBC, while ESPN gets Marv Albert and a token analyst (Young?) for Monday nights. Would anyone be against this?

If Marv did get the gig, he would probably want Boomer Esiason to do commentary since they already do the Westwood One radio broadcast for MNF. ;-D

Michaels/Madden have to be the target for ESPN...they would pay for it, and people seem to like them (I think they are fine). As long as it isn't those "three retards" ( :-b ), it will be an improvement.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:14 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:-NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. The network plans to use a flexible scheduling that in the last seven weeks, allowing it to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.

The only problem that I have, is that on the west coast it will start at 5:15pm. I don't get off of work until 5pm. I understand the frustrations with the east costers, games not getting over until midnight or so. But dang it, I would like to see the whole game. And no I don't have tivo.

why not just tape it using a blank tape and a VCR?? So then, after the game ends around 8 PM, you can watch the first 1/2 hour or so that you missed.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk