And we have a new Pope... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

And we have a new Pope...

Moderator: Football Moderators

And we have a new Pope...

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:53 am

I guess his name is going to be Benedict XVI...crazy number there!

Yahoo! News wrote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - A new pope was elected by Roman Catholic cardinals on Tuesday to succeed John Paul II. The election of the 265th pontiff on only the second day of a conclave in the Vatican's frescoed Sistine Chapel was signaled by white smoke from the chapel chimney and the tolling of the bells of St. Peter's Basilica.

But there were many minutes of confusion over the color of the smoke, which initially seemed gray, before the bells began tolling to signal the successful election.

Even Vatican Radio had initially said the color of the smoke was unclear. Black smoke indicates an inconclusive vote.

Tens of thousands of people in the square cheered when the vote was confirmed.

It was only the third time in a century that a pope had been chosen on the second day of a conclave. The name of the new leader of 1.1 billion Roman Catholics was to be announced shortly.

He was to appear on the main balcony of the basilica to deliver his first public address.

The 115 red-robed cardinals from 52 countries who were eligible to elect a new pontiff started their secret meeting on Monday. Three earlier votes had been inconclusive.

A candidate required a two-thirds majority or at least 77 votes to become pope.

Pope John Paul II died on April 2 after serving as pontiff for 26 years -- the third longest papacy in Church history.

NEW POPE FACES DAUNTING CHALLENGES

The new pope will face the daunting task of following one of the most dynamic papacies in history but also one that divided the Church between conservatives and moderates.

The election came more quickly than most Vatican experts had predicted. They expected the new pope to emerge on Wednesday or Thursday. The front-runner going into the conclave was German cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, standard-bearer for the conservative heirs of John Paul and the late pope's doctrinal watchdog.

But earlier on Tuesday both experts and bookmakers had said Ratzinger's candidacy was weakening.

The 20th century's eight conclaves lasted from two to five days, with the average just over three days.

Some 15 cardinals have been touted as potential popes, among them Italy's Dionigi Tettamanzi, Honduran Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, India's Ivan Dias and Austria's Christoph Schoenborn.

Before the conclave door shut on Monday, Ratzinger made a final appeal to his fellow electors to protect traditional teachings and to shun the "dictatorship of relativism."

Ratzinger made no mention of the challenges that other cardinals and ordinary Catholics say should top the agenda such as poverty, Islam, science, sexual morality and Church reform.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:56 am

Seems a little too old to become a new pope... I dunno

J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 pm

Yeah, dude's like 78 years old...we might be doing this again in a few years. :-o
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:03 pm

I was walking through my schools' main building when they announced it. A lot of people were goin' crazy... exciting stuff, I 'spose. Hell, I'm not even religious and this is interesting to me.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:07 pm

He may end up living to be 98 years, who knows. But John Paul II will really be a 'tough act to follow'
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:14 pm

Canacuna wrote:I was walking through my schools' main building when they announced it. A lot of people were goin' crazy... exciting stuff, I 'spose. Hell, I'm not even religious and this is interesting to me.

Yeah, I mean most people have never been through this before (including me since JP2 was installed the year I was born), so I guess it might be a little exciting.

I suppose you would want an older person to be Pope since they will be the head of a nation...you know, like a President. 78 is a high number though.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:21 pm

I agree he is a little older than I was expecting, fair or not. Of course, I didn't know WHAT to expect.

I remember the pope before John Paul II, was there 33 days then he died. Hopefully this won't be the case this time around, and he can do a good job.

Sure has some big shoes to fill.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:05 pm

He shoulda chose Ron Mexico I.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:21 pm

awwchrist wrote:He shoulda chose Ron Mexico I.

lol damn aww is nowhere safe from Mr. Mexico

Most popes are only around for a few years. So we just happened to live through an extraordinary papal tenure. In fact only 4 men have been pope for a longer timeframe. Most are only pope in the 6-8 year range.

I also read that one of the candidates this year was being looked down upon because he was too young at age 65.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:22 pm

The widespread feeling is that you dont want a Pope to be in charge as long as John Paul II was. Even though he did an amazing job as Pope, the Church knows that if a Pontiff is in there too long, the word of God can become stale to the casual christian.

I dont know much about the new Pope, so we'll just have to see how he does.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk