And we have a new Pope... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

And we have a new Pope...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:53 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I heard the saint thing is pretty tough to get through...you have to have done two miracles or something. I wonder what types of miracles qualify? :-?

Well, Boston won the WS in his popehood, so maybe that's one. Just kidding guys!!! ;-D

Cathecism classes are escaping me at the moment but I thought it was only one miracle. Either way, I'm sure you won't have to go to far down his resume to find a couple.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:01 pm

1 or 2 miracles to be a saint? I'd call that getting lucky.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I heard the saint thing is pretty tough to get through...you have to have done two miracles or something. I wonder what types of miracles qualify? :-?

Well, Boston won the WS in his popehood, so maybe that's one. Just kidding guys!!! ;-D

My family are "church groupies", so I can answer this for you. You need 2 ales to become a saint.

Some people say that they have felt healed after seeing john paul, and tat counts as 1.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:14 am

mtryanks12 wrote:
My family are "church groupies", so I can answer this for you. You need 2 ales to become a saint.

OK, I can't figure out why your computer would have censored "miracles". They're generally good things.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kashikis » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:26 am

Here ya go, the whole process of sainthood...

SAINTHOOD 101: Rules for Becoming a Saint (cont'd)

The following are the basic steps to becoming a saint:

1) The candidate must be deceased for a minimum of five years

2) Even in our modern, fast-paced society, the candidate must have lived a life of extraordinary asceticism, self-denial, faith, good works and inspirational virtue, often helping the poor and sick

3) The candidate must be recognized for two posthumous miracles (when The Third Miracle was written, three were required) verified by a scientific board appointed by the Vatican

3) Once it is determined that the candidate has led a life of holiness, he or she is declared a Servant of God and the investigation of their candidacy begins

4) A postulator is appointed on the candidate's behalf, undertaking an exhaustive investigation into his or her life, works, writings, sayings, family life, early history, etc. – digging for any small thing that might be inconsistent with tireless faith and Church teachings

5) Witnesses (if still alive) are called to appear before a church tribunal and further evidence is gathered

6) A positioning paper presenting the case of the saint is handed to the Bishop

7) If the Bishop agrees with the evidence, he passes on the report to the Vatican's Congregation of Saints

8) If the Congregation and the Pope agree that the person lived a virtuous life, the candidate is named a "Venerable."

9) This completes the investigation of the candidate's earthly life. Now, the Congregation undertakes the investigation of the two posthumous miracles, if they have occurred. If not, they wait. The first miracle earns the candidate beatification, the second assures sainthood.

10) Miracles are intensively scrutinized by both religious and scientific authorities. Medical miracles are examined by a board of five doctors who must unequivocally determine that no other possible explanation for a cure exists.

11) All cures must be instantaneous and complete (One potential candidate's miracle – restoring the sight of a blind man – was rejected because the sight was only 90% restored). In the case of cancer, a ten year waiting period must assure that the patient doesn't come out of remission

12) If the high standards for miracles are met, the Pope bestows the title of saint on the candidate
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:07 pm

mtryanks12 wrote: You need 2 ales to become a saint.

I need 2 ales to become belligerent.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:00 pm

awwchrist wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote: You need 2 ales to become a saint.

I need 2 ales to become belligerent.

If 2 ales is all it takes, most of us here are on our way to being saints already. Not sure how "Saint Awwchrist" would go over though.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joshyboy72 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:26 pm

This new guy Benedict is supposed to be extremely conservative...thank god he's old. Worst case scenario would've been if the papacy chose a young conservative.
:-o
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:24 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:Does anyone know if there are rules for picking the Pope's name? Could he have called himself Pope Tupac I? or are there certain rules?

I'm guessing that there are rules because there been 16 Benedicts?

I've been wondering about this too. Anyone know 'bout this?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:16 pm

There generally aren't rules for teh names, btu it's supposed to come from heritage or a saintly person that you admire. Hence John Paul II naming himself John Paul. I have no clue where bnenedict came from tho, but I sure love Eggs Benedict. Maybe he does too.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to General Talk