49ers narrow #1 pick... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

49ers narrow #1 pick...

Moderator: Football Moderators

49ers narrow #1 pick...

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:07 pm

49ers | Unwilling to Sign No. 1 Pick to Manning Deal
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:52:20 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports league sources are determined to award a contract to the No. 1 overall draft choice that is less than what the New York Giants paid for QB Eli Manning last year. The 49ers are willing to pay $24 million over the first four years of the deal, but they do not want to pay the $21 million in the final two years of the deal like Manning received.

49ers | Rolle Removed from No. 1 Pick Consideration
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:31:23 -0700

Dennis Georgatos, of Knight Ridder, reports the San Francisco 49ers have narrowed their list of finalists for the No. 1 overall draft choice, removing Miami CB Antrel Rolle from consideration. The three finalists include QBs Aaron Rodgers (California) and Alex Smith (Utah), as well as Michigan WR Braylon Edwards.

so they wont take rolle and wont pay that much money. sounds like they really want to trade down...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MeShawn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:27 pm

They have supposedly said they are leaning towards Alex Smith at the moment now, but it's probably just a decoy to trade down after originally saying they wanted Rogers.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:29 pm

Does anyone know how much money Smith and Rodgers want from their teams-to-be?? I also think that that could factor into the 49ers decision of the #1 pick assuming they don't trade down, which they probably will.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:31 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:Does anyone know how much money Smith and Rodgers want from their teams-to-be?? I also think that that could factor into the 49ers decision of the #1 pick assuming they don't trade down, which they probably will.

I read that Rodgers will take less to play for the 49ers (he is a hometown boy, and played at California) as he is a lifetime 49er fan.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:39 pm

then it would be more economical for the 49ers to select rodgers?
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:21 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:then it would be more economical for the 49ers to select rodgers?

That's what they are saying. Smith's agent wants Eli money plus inflation. Nothing is set in stone with Rodgers but it is believed that he will accept less.

Interesting to hear Rolle is now out of the mix. I was surprised to hear his name brought up a few days ago at all. The only true way that they would take him though is if they traded down which they still are attempting to do.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:46 am

Knowing the 49ers, I still think they'd take Smith over Rodgers, just because they like him more. They really should go with Rodgers, as he is still a great QB, and is the more economical choice. Does anyone know why the 49ers are so high on mith rather than rodgers?? I'm guessing that it's because Smith can rush too. He reminds me of Donovan McNabb or Drew Brees in a way, beacuse he can earn solid yardage on rushing plays. personally, I think that that aspect of Smith could help them, but Rodgers is still probably the right choice.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:37 am

I think they should take whoever they have rated higher.

Like my grandpa used to say, "You don't buy a Cadillac and then ask if you can save by getting hub caps."

The point is if you are going to draft at #1 and pay all that money you don't take someone you feel is a lesser player because he will be cheaper. You take the player you feel will be the best. How stupid will the 49ers look if they draft Rodgers because they can save a couple mil and then he busts and Smith turns out to be a great QB. Sure, the same thing can happen with Smith, but if he's your highest rated QB going into the draft and you are taking QB, you go with Smith and don't look back.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk