1st Round NFL Mock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

1st Round NFL Mock

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st Round NFL Mock

Postby footballfreak449 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm just gonna do 3 post of about 10 picks each... To lazy to do it all at 1 time...

1. San Francisco - Alex Smith QB-Utah
The 49ers have said over the past two days that Smith is who they are leaning towards. This could be 1 of a few different things. 1, they really do like Smith. 2, to focus the media on them. Or 3, to get the value of the pick up (for those who want Smith). No matter what they are trying to do, I belive they will take Smith. A trade will be looked at, but I don't think you can pass on a franchise QB, which is what Smith is.

2. Minnesota Vikings (Trade w/ Miami) - Braylon Edwards WR-Michigan
Miami thinks they might get Williams back, and they will probably be able to get Charlie Frye in the 2nd round anyways. So, they trade. And they Minnesota Vikings jump all over this. Edwards should fill right in as the #1 guy, and in a few years be just as good, if not better, then Randy Moss.

3. Cleveland Browns - Derrick Johnson LB-Texas
When the Miami trade is announced, Johnson will be jumping for joy. Browns have little concern about Suggs' ablity, and the fact that Edwards is gone makes this pick a little easier. Defense help is much needed, and Johnson is probably the most talented defensive player in the draft. Be warned Longhorn fans, if Johnson doesn't get taken here, he will probably drop out of the Top 10.

4. Chicago Bears - Mike Williams WR-USC
Bears fans would love to see them get Edwards, but Williams may be a better pick. Great hands, good size, and solid speed, he has shown small flashes of being the next Chris Carter. He will work along side Mushin Muhammad to make a nasty young-old WR combo. A year or two under Mushin's wing, and this kid will be a stud.

5. Tampa Bay Buccanears - Ronnie Brown RB-Auburn
Temptation to trade with Miami will be there, but if they stay put they will probably be happy with their choice. Ronnie is faster, a better catcher, and better blocker than the other 2 backs that would be considered here. Pittman has done well carrying the load for the Bucs the past few years, and he and Brown and similar backs, except Ronnie has much better "running"-back skills.

6. Tennessee Titans - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones CB/KR-West Virginia
Maybe the most explosive person in the draft, Pac-man gives Tennessee a great CB, and just as good KR. Rolle would be the other they would take here, however losing Derrick Mason during the offseason leaves them without a PR. Pac-man can step to fill that void, and the one left by the other Rolle.

7. Miami Dolphins (Trade w/ Minnesota) - Aaron Rodgers QB-Cal
The man they would have taken with the 2nd pick had they not traded, this deal works out great for the Dolphins, as they also aquire a 2nd round pick. Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the draft, however many say he is too "mechanical". Well, Peyton Manning is "mechanical" too, and he turned out all right.

8. Arizona Cardinals - Cedric Benson RB-Texas
Emmitt left, not to any Cardinal fans' dismay. And Marcel Shipp has not proven himself enough during the few chances he got as their starter. Benson was probably the top RB in the draft before the combine, which he did not attend, and Ronnie Brown did. Brown did great, and Benson did less than stellar in his private workout. However, Benson was the starter at Texas for 4 years, and can carry the load, something neither of the Auburn RBs had to do. He could get 25-30 carries a game. And he may next year.

9. Washington Redskins - Antrel Rolle CB-Miami U
Redskins look like they will make out pretty good in the Portis deal if they get Rolle. Antrel, the most "shutdown" of CBs in the draft, will start right away, making him and Sean Taylor and sick secondary. The Redskins only other real need for postion wise is QB, which they will get in the 2nd round.

10. Detroit Lions - Alex Barron OT-Flordia State
Lions young, explosive offense needs someone to give them time and space to do what they want. Barron is that guy. He is the best offensive lineman in the draft, and should give the Joey Harrington a little more time, as he will likely defend his blindside.

Comments are most welcome, I will make picks 11-21 tonight or tommorrow morning...
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:34 pm

good mock...

however i dont see TEN taking jones over rolle...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:42 pm

the Lions are not going to take Barron or any other OT in the first rd.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballfreak449 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:the Lions are not going to take Barron or any other OT in the first rd.

It was by far my most questional pick, however I don't see a reason why they wouldn't. They don't need much more help anywhere else. The only other postion they may take is a DE.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Evolution » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:08 pm

I think most NFL teams have Rolle rated higher than Pac-Man on their draft boards. Even though he fills a return need for the Titans, that's the least of their worries. They need the best player for their defense they can get at that slot, and it's Rolle.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballfreak449 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:32 pm

Evolution wrote:I think most NFL teams have Rolle rated higher than Pac-Man on their draft boards. Even though he fills a return need for the Titans, that's the least of their worries. They need the best player for their defense they can get at that slot, and it's Rolle.

I'd do a PBC on it... they take Pac-Man...
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:35 pm

Not bad. I like your reasoning for the Titans #6 overall pick. I never thought of it that way, and that could end up happening. Do the Titans have another capable kick/punt returner on their team that could fill in next season?
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:12 pm

Man, the Bucs would just be plain giddy if Ronnie Brown and Rodgers both fall to their pick...I doubt it will happen. Not a bad mock though.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Football Talk