Buchanon Traded To Houston

Moderator: Football Moderators

Buchanon Traded To Houston

Postby JayM09 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 pm

story here

Updated: April 18, 2005

First-rounder fell out of favor in OaklandBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Cornerback Phillip Buchanon, the Oakland Raiders first-round pick in the 2002 who had fallen out of favor with coaches and club officials in recent months, was traded to the Houston Texans on Tuesday night, ESPN.com has learned.

Details on what the Raiders received in return were not yet available.

The Raiders have been shopping Buchanon for weeks and discussed a possible deal with the Washington Redskins during the past week. Oakland also has been attempting to locate a suitor for its other starting cornerback, Charles Woodson, but hasn't found any takers.

Buchanon, 24, was the 17th player selected overall in the 2002 draft. While the former University of Miami star had slipped in the eyes of the Raiders, other teams felt he still retained playmaking skills and return abilities. In 14 starts last season, he had 59 tackles and three interceptions.

Another attractive element for the Texans is Buchanon's youth and his experience in a system that stressed a considerable degree of man-to-man coverage.

The Texans already have one outstanding young cornerback in Dunta Robinson, one of their two first-rounders in 2004 and a player many felt was the best rookie defender in the NFL last season. Their other starting corner, 11-year veteran Aaron Glenn, will turn 33 this summer. The trade ensures the Texans are prepared for the future at one of the game's high-commodity positions.

In 36 appearances with the Raiders, Buchanon totaled 122 tackles, 11 interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He returned four interceptions for touchdowns, at least one in every season of his brief career. He is also a dangerous punt returner, averaging 11.0 yards with three touchdowns on 72 runbacks.

Buchanon still has two years remaining on his original rookie deal, with base salaries of $700,000 for 2005 and $800,000 for 2006.
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:03 pm

wow... cant find any news on this yet.

it'll be interesting to see what they got for him. maybe a 2nd and 4th rounder?
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:05 pm

ha napoleaon and buchannon...nice drafting raiders! :-) }:-)
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelyeri » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 pm

RayVins wrote:wow... cant find any news on this yet.

Wow, great guess! I just heard it was for a second and third this year. I like the move for the raiders. He is very talented but he's even too much for Al Davis to handle. That's saying a lot.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:19 pm

steelyeri wrote:
RayVins wrote:wow... cant find any news on this yet.

Wow, great guess! I just heard it was for a second and third this year. I like the move for the raiders. He is very talented but he's even too much for Al Davis to handle. That's saying a lot.

yeah i was close... they got a guy that is just as good and can be better than buchanon coming up to start: Nnamdi Asomugha

im pretty sure he was a late 1st round pick by the raiders a couple years back and he should be ready to step in now...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:25 pm

What..did we get?

Buchanon is one of those ghetto fab guys though.

all the diamonds....big diamonds

He is one of those skinny guys....with all the jewelry looking all pimp....

I would have rather traded Woodson...Buchanon is still young, cheap, and a better player.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RayVins » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:What..did we get?

Buchanon is one of those ghetto fab guys though.

all the diamonds....big diamonds

He is one of those skinny guys....with all the jewelry looking all pimp....

I would have rather traded Woodson...Buchanon is still young, cheap, and a better player.

you would have rather traded woodson? first off, you wouldnt have gotten much more compensation for charles woodson. second, woodson is a much better CB than buchanon, who is all speed...
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:32 pm

A second and a third seems like pretty good value for Buchanon. Good trade ofr the Raiders.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:43 pm

Good deal for both teams, hopefully the Texans can get more out of Buchanon, he certainly has the tools to succeed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:44 pm

addition by subtraction for the Raiders.....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk