Rodgers could free fall. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rodgers could free fall.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:20 am

GMoney wrote:i love all you people who say the bucs wont draft a QB because Greise didnt sign that brand new long term deal for nothing....

THAT IS A 1 YEAR DEAL.

it was structured just like his last 1 was... sounds all nice 30 million or whatever but his salary for this year is like 3 million and he is due a redicuals amount again next year (8-10 million ish)... now OBVIOUSLY that means hes gonna have to restructure again next year or get cut...

this was not the long term deal you people think... thats the beauty of the NFL system.

Know what I love? All you people who read part of a quote, take it out of context, and then spew the same condesending elitist crap that EVERYONE says about long term contracts.

I DID NOT SAY that TB wouldn't draft a QB because of Griese's contract. I said he was GIVEN a contract LIKE that (as in he could with ANY team) because he is a SOLID QB. Remember? To refresh your memory, scroll up. Don't think I don't know about backloaded and frontloaded contracts... I'm a Dallas fan, for crying out loud. ;-)

GMoney, I'm sure you were just trying to inform me about the finer points of the NFL's salary cap, and ways to avoid overpaying by screwing over players. But honestly... read, then comment.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:12 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
GMoney wrote:i love all you people who say the bucs wont draft a QB because Greise didnt sign that brand new long term deal for nothing....

THAT IS A 1 YEAR DEAL.

it was structured just like his last 1 was... sounds all nice 30 million or whatever but his salary for this year is like 3 million and he is due a redicuals amount again next year (8-10 million ish)... now OBVIOUSLY that means hes gonna have to restructure again next year or get cut...

this was not the long term deal you people think... thats the beauty of the NFL system.

Know what I love? All you people who read part of a quote, take it out of context, and then spew the same condesending elitist crap that EVERYONE says about long term contracts.

I DID NOT SAY that TB wouldn't draft a QB because of Griese's contract. I said he was GIVEN a contract LIKE that (as in he could with ANY team) because he is a SOLID QB. Remember? To refresh your memory, scroll up. Don't think I don't know about backloaded and frontloaded contracts... I'm a Dallas fan, for crying out loud. ;-)

GMoney, I'm sure you were just trying to inform me about the finer points of the NFL's salary cap, and ways to avoid overpaying by screwing over players. But honestly... read, then comment.

You wrote "Why does no one have faith in Griese" and then go on to say "they didn't sign him for nothing" in the same sentence. Very confusing statement when you contradict yourself in the same sentence. Everyone and their mother knows Griese is starting this year, so maybe GMoney thought you were doing something other than stating the obvious.

G-Money pointed out that his contract was backloaded to the extent that he is only going to be the torch bearer for whoever starts next year or he will have to restructure, evidence against your contradictory (non-existant) argument.

So then you jump down his throat for assuming you come with an actual opinion on Griese being the longterm answer in Tampa, instead of just stating the obvious that he will start this year "they didn't get him for nothing". Yeah, he's a QB, I guess they got him to play football or something? Thanks for adding that part in there.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:20 am

keep it civil please, you may now continue to argue :-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:49 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think you are reaching, Griese is serviceable. He's never going to take you past the 1st round of the playoffs, I don't have a big problem but after reading that the Bucs like Rodgers I can't see them passing on him at 5.

sounds like what people said about dilfer before he... um... yeah won a superbowl
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby monkey69 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:55 pm

treat24 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think you are reaching, Griese is serviceable. He's never going to take you past the 1st round of the playoffs, I don't have a big problem but after reading that the Bucs like Rodgers I can't see them passing on him at 5.

sounds like what people said about dilfer before he... um... yeah won a superbowl

But Dilfer did it behind an awesome defense and a strong running attack - he just had to be a caretaker and not mess it up - not go out and win the game on his own.
Tampa's situation is not the same - their storied defense is still good but not dominant and their running attack is not the greatest. They need someone who can go out and sling the ball a bit. Griese is serviceable but I am not sure he can take them to the next level
16-teams - 1pt per 10yds rush/receive, 1 pt per 25 yds pass,No PPR
QB(1): Orton,Leftwich,Leinart
RB(2): Jones-Drew, Grant, Cadillac, L Washington, J Davis, Bernard Scott
WR(2): R. White, V. Jackson
TE(1): D. Clark, J. Finley
K(1): Gould
Def(1): BALT,GNB
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gatorman1122 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:55 pm

It's really hard to imagine Rogers becoming the potential #1 pick and then falling all the way down to #24.

My thoughts on Griese. He will start next year for the Bucs. However, I think that he'll need to be eventually replaced by a younger, better QB. Remember, Griese wasn't exactly a great QB before last year. He could possibly be a 1-yr wonder.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby footballfreak449 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:59 pm

Back to the original point of the topic, the Bucs will most likely not take a QB, because of a few reason.

1- Griese has done nothing bad since he joined the Bucs so they have no reason to try and sign a big-money guy to fight for the job, or to learn behind him.
2- QB has serious depth this year, and I believe Rodgers is just as good as Campbell, who will go 25th or before, and Charlie Frye.
3- They need a running back. Odds are Griese will be able to start longer than Pittman.

I think they will take Ronnie Brown.

I think Rodgers will fall to the 7th spot, where Miami will be after trading their pick to the Vikings. If that does not happen (no trade) then he will probably fall to the 13-15 spot. Packers will be thrilled if he did fall, and he could, its not out of the question, but I think he will go before them.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:15 pm

monkey69 wrote:
treat24 wrote:

But Dilfer did it behind an awesome defense and a strong running attack - he just had to be a caretaker and not mess it up - not go out and win the game on his own.
Tampa's situation is not the same - their storied defense is still good but not dominant and their running attack is not the greatest. They need someone who can go out and sling the ball a bit. Griese is serviceable but I am not sure he can take them to the next level

Do you change your mind if they draft a RB?If they can get a run game going,Griese could be Dilfer part 2.Back to the topic.They have been reporting the Rodgers free-fall on Total Access,so I guess it's not entirely unplausible,if teams feel they have more pressing needs than a QB.With the WR's and RB's this yearI suppose it could happen.I'm just afraid the Bears might do something stupid if he falls there though and take him!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:31 pm

Relax Sixxgunn. As stupid as the Bears can be/have been in the past, they have way too much faith in Grossman (for better or worse) to draft Rodgers at #4. They have once again handed the job to Grossman and they promised him he would get some more offensive weapons in the draft. I still think we're looking at either:

Edwards/Williams in the first and Arrington/Fason/Barber/Moats in the second

or

Brown/Benson/Caddy in the first and Roddy White/One of the Georgia boys/Jerome Mathis/Matt Jones in the second.

I understand your nevousness though.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:50 pm

I still think Tampa's biggest need is WR. Gruden loves QBs that is why he's interested in Smith, but it's a pipe dream unless they trade with SF. That leaves Cadillac or Mike Williams, and I think the Bucs know they need a stud WR more than a stud RB, especially in Gruden's offense.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk