Return to Football Talk

Simms headed for CLE?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Simms headed for CLE?

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:38 am

Fanball wrote:April 20, 2005 2:55 PM ET
Browns: Simms could wind up in Cleveland
The News
If the Buccaneers trade up to acquire quarterback Alex Smith in this weekend's draft, one rumor has current Buc backup Chris Simms headed to Cleveland. The St. Petersburg Times and SI.com both speculate that should Smith wind up in Tampa, Simms could be dealt to the Browns for draft picks.
Our View
Tampa would have to part with a few draft choices to move up to get Smith, likely with Miami's second selection, and trading Simms would recoup at least one or two of those later-round picks. Getting Simms as their quarterback of the future would also soften the Browns' blow of missing out on Smith and Aaron Rodgers by allowing them to take Braylon Edwards or Shawne Merriman.

This could potentially be a dynomite move for CLE. They get a promising development QB, and get to use that pick on Braylon, Merriman, DJ... insane. That would work nicely for both teams.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Simms headed for CLE?

Postby RayVins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
April 20, 2005 2:55 PM ET
Browns: Simms could wind up in Cleveland
The News
If the Buccaneers trade up to acquire quarterback Alex Smith in this weekend's draft, one rumor has current Buc backup Chris Simms headed to Cleveland. The St. Petersburg Times and SI.com both speculate that should Smith wind up in Tampa, Simms could be dealt to the Browns for draft picks.
Our View
Tampa would have to part with a few draft choices to move up to get Smith, likely with Miami's second selection, and trading Simms would recoup at least one or two of those later-round picks. Getting Simms as their quarterback of the future would also soften the Browns' blow of missing out on Smith and Aaron Rodgers by allowing them to take Braylon Edwards or Shawne Merriman.

This could potentially be a dynomite move for CLE. They get a promising development QB, and get to use that pick on Braylon, Merriman, DJ... insane. That would work nicely for both teams.

this works out really well for CLE because they get a big boy with good accuracy in Simms while keeping the price tag on their QBs low...

with the #3 CLE then takes edwards and is set on offense for years to come...

i cant say i would be happy to see this happen, as CLE is in our division, but this trade would really benefit the browns...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:46 am

Didn't even think about the price tag. Or if they want to pass on Edwards and trade to WAS, SD (unlikely) or MIN for 2 1st rounders, they'd really be plugging in holes for cheap.

Also this way, Dilfer would still likely get his chance to start, and what better seasoned pro (and SB winner) than Trent Dilfer to school young Chris in the fields of kickassery?*

I admit, watching UTA, I was always more of a Major Applewhite fan... but obviously Simms makes the better prospect. If he goes to CLE, under the right system, with a new coach, and an improved, young team, CLE could really get something going...

If this goes through, I will be yet again damned impressed by the personnel moves Crennel and Savage are making.

*I told you, I refuse to let that word die. Just a few hundred more posts, and it'll catch on. Watch... :-b

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:54 am

If they did this I would be surprised to see Merriman move that far up the boards. I would think they would target DJ there. But I guess it would depend on what pick they end up with..

If they trade up, they likely still wouldn't have their original first rd pick.

So if they trade up for Smith, that looks like Griese's time in Fla may be limited..Probably bring him along slowly, but have him be the future.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby monkey69 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:16 am

The source has TAM trading up from their #5 spot
-- said to be trading with MIA for the #2 spot
-- if they are planning to send Simms to CLE, why not package him in a deal to CLE for their #3 spot?
16-teams - 1pt per 10yds rush/receive, 1 pt per 25 yds pass,No PPR
QB(1): Orton,Leftwich,Leinart
RB(2): Jones-Drew, Grant, Cadillac, L Washington, J Davis, Bernard Scott
WR(2): R. White, V. Jackson
TE(1): D. Clark, J. Finley
K(1): Gould
Def(1): BALT,GNB
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk