Keeper league rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper league rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper league rules

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:22 am

Most everyone in one of my leagues wants to convert it to a Keeper League. I'm the commissioner, so it's up to me to ferret out some set ups and propose the best one. Does anyone have a site that might show some common keeper league set ups - number of keepers, roster spots, etc.

Currently our league is 10 teams combination scoring starting
1QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1 TE, 1K, 1D
We will have a complete draft this year, but I want to have the rules in place for the keepers.
Blind Squirrels
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league rules

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:48 am

Blind Squirrels wrote:Most everyone in one of my leagues wants to convert it to a Keeper League. I'm the commissioner, so it's up to me to ferret out some set ups and propose the best one. Does anyone have a site that might show some common keeper league set ups - number of keepers, roster spots, etc.

Currently our league is 10 teams combination scoring starting
1QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1 TE, 1K, 1D
We will have a complete draft this year, but I want to have the rules in place for the keepers.

You would probably do well to do a search on Keeper rules,because I know it has been discussed before,and you could probably find whatever you need there.Hope it helps!(I'm not involved in one,so I can't really help much)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:08 am

My only advice to you is that you do it from scratch so everyone has a fair shot.

People in one of my leagues last year wanted to turn it into a keeper league and I voted it down because they wanted to start a 2004 keeper league based on our 2003 rosters. If you're gonna make your league a keeper league, decide how many players you want to keep, have a draft this year and then start keeping players at the end of this year.

Really as far as rules go, they aren't much different. I really only see four things you need to decide.

1.) How many players can you keep.

2.) Does an owner have to keep the maximum amount of keepers or can he not keep someone and get an extra pick. Some leagues say you can keep four, and consider those your 1-4 draft picks. If everyone in the league kept 4 and I only kept 3, then I would get the first pick overall (my fourth keeper that I decided not to keep pick)

3.)When must you declare your keepers. It's usually 2-3 weeks before the draft, but you can make it right after the season or whatever.

4.) Is there a maximum amount of times a player can be kept. Some leagues limit the amount of years you can keep the same guy. If you do limit it you need to decide if the player carries that time in a trade. For example, if I have Manning, and our limit is two years, then I am only allowed to keep Manning for two years. If I keep him for one year and then trade him to you, then he either carries that year (the year I kept him) so you can only keep him for one year or every time a player switches teams he gets a new two year "keeper eligibility".

I think that covers it. Either search around here. Maybe PM some of the commishes from the keeper leagues here on the cafe for some other stuff. Also, feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:39 am

thanks for the replies. We're definitely going to draft from scratch. I like the idea of limiting the number of years you can keep a player also. Hopefully this works out.
Blind Squirrels
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 pm

yeah, Kevin hit the nail on the head.

Once you have those 4 things he mentioned above you should be set with a foundation to work with.

I am in a One-Keeper league. Mandatory one-keeper. No limit on years(kinda wish there was).

Another thing. Do you guys enjoying drafting or have time for long drafts? Then you should minimize the Keeper size. To have a little more of a re-draft feel going into the draft.

My one-keeper league does not reward good drafters. Because i won last year with a beautifully drafted team and i am only left with DDavis/Dillon but my roster included Walker/Holt/Gonzo/Collins. That team would kill people next season.

Unfortunately for me. We essentially start from scratch. With one-keeper.

I am suggesting that we keep up to 4....to lessen the 3-4 hour live draft.

You could also make restriction on type of keepers

1rb and 1wrs

or any sort of combo...personally do not like that.

There are so many different types of ways to twist this....use your leagues imagination.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:43 pm

My keeper league rewards drafting players for value because the cost to keep a guy is the round he was drafted in -1. So if I drafted Gates in the 7th round last year this year he would cost me my 6th round pick. This way it rewards,but over time their cost goes up. We also put a stipulation that a FA pickup costs at least you 8th rounder or so. This will be the second year we have had keepers but the first we are using this draft pick cost formula. It will be interesting because you have some people keeping Ahman Green and TO for example and costing their 1 and 2 picks then we have people keeping two sleepers like Eli Manning and Michael Clayton so they will have 2 draft picks before TO 's team gets to pick. I think it is a different and fun way to play,but we will have to see how it turns out
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk