Anyone currently collecting current football cards? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone currently collecting current football cards?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone currently collecting current football cards?

Postby awwchrist » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:09 pm

Been thinking about getting back into the hobby. Since I don't follow baseball nearly as much as I did when I was a kid, I've been kicking around collecting football.

Any impressions or comments? Is the market still flooded with crap or have things changed?

Never been a big fan of the insert cards. I'm more of a rookie card man myself.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:09 am

Hmm... methinks the lack of replies might not bode well for the football card industry... :-b

I admit it, though: I still collect. Just picked up a nice 1997 set at a flea market this weekend with rookies like Dunn, Dillon, Plummer, Barber... No great shakes, but fun to look through and remember the expectations we had from that draft class (Remember Yatil Green? ;-) ).

Anyway, the market doesn't seem to have changed all that much in the last couple years. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it does mean that there's a lot of variety out there.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm

ive been thinking about getting back into it myself. i know its a lot more complicated with all the different brands and such, unlike back in the day where there were only a few. i guess i wouldnt really know where to start. id just go start buying packs. thats what i always enjoyed, rather than buying individual cards at the hobby shops.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nebbie2004 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:24 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:ive been thinking about getting back into it myself. i know its a lot more complicated with all the different brands and such, unlike back in the day where there were only a few. i guess i wouldnt really know where to start. id just go start buying packs. thats what i always enjoyed, rather than buying individual cards at the hobby shops.

For the Serious Collector, Buy by the Individual Cards on Ebay or something(actually ebay this way is the best way to go), the Packs are starting to get useless by the day, unless your buying the $10.00 Bucks Per Pack Plus Quality stuff, ;-D Im in the hobby myself, and I almost have the complete 2003 Fleer Showcase Set, GameUsed, Base, Inserts, and Rookies, everything.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Man, I haven't bought a sports card in like 8 years or so. But my collection is huge right now. I thinking about selling some and saving a few for years from now. I wonder what the going rate is for Shaq rookie cards, Cal Ripken 2nd year cards, etc? Are becketts still the way to go? Also, which sport has more value in its cards?
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nebbie2004 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:33 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Man, I haven't bought a sports card in like 8 years or so. But my collection is huge right now. I thinking about selling some and saving a few for years from now. I wonder what the going rate is for Shaq rookie cards, Cal Ripken 2nd year cards, etc? Are becketts still the way to go? Also, which sport has more value in its cards?

Shaq RC's are 40-45$ BV and Yes, Beckett is the Microsoft of Sportscard Pricing.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nebbie2004 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:35 pm

nebbie2004 wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:Man, I haven't bought a sports card in like 8 years or so. But my collection is huge right now. I thinking about selling some and saving a few for years from now. I wonder what the going rate is for Shaq rookie cards, Cal Ripken 2nd year cards, etc? Are becketts still the way to go? Also, which sport has more value in its cards?

Shaq RC's are 40-45$ BV and Yes, Beckett is the Microsoft of Sportscard Pricing.

Remember, when saleing Cards for Cash, you can get about 67 Percent of Bookvalue at most, so youll probably get about 25-32$ for a Shaq RC
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jte715 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:37 pm

Hmm, i dont know much partucularly about football, but i have a huge baseball collection throughout the years. Nebbie is defintly right about Ebay. Its one of the best places to buy them. A lotta times youl find people with no clue selling valuable cards for nothing so id suggest looking for cards there if you wanna buy individuals.
jte715
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:00 pm

Nice. Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to pick up a beckett before I do my selling. I could use the extra cash flow ;-D

Oh ya, I know this is a little off subject but what is the "Beckett" for comic books and cards? I have a ton of good comics from a while back that I'm thinkin about selling
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:04 pm

i need to get a beckett too. i have a grip of older baseball cards.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk