Anyone currently collecting current football cards? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone currently collecting current football cards?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:13 pm

I'm actually considering selling off my football and baseball card collections. I have high-end rookies and inserts from 1980 to 1999 in football. If someone needs stuff, just PM me.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:01 pm

I've been on and off in recent years with Baseball, but never really got into football. eBay is definitely the way to go for anything though, you can get high end cards for 1/3 of the price some of the times. If you're looking to sell, I wouldn't recommend eBay, but if you really just wanna collect some cash from it and don't care to shop around, go for it.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:37 am

J2thez929 wrote:Nice. Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to pick up a beckett before I do my selling. I could use the extra cash flow ;-D

Oh ya, I know this is a little off subject but what is the "Beckett" for comic books and cards? I have a ton of good comics from a while back that I'm thinkin about selling

Overstreet used to be the bible for comics.

As for football card collecting. Just started again since taking a gig at a sportscard distributor. I get boxes at wholesale and have access to just about everything. I still like it. I still like opening a pack of cards and seeing my Vikings.

There are to schools of thought to collecting now. 1) Chase the insert, 2) Chase the set like the old days. ME, I'll do both. The only thing that has driven me nuts so far is not getting value for the money that is being asked for some of the new boxes. $400 for a box of ultimate and you could get book value of $100. No good. Don't by brand new product unless you are going to sell it immediately. I am buying 2003 UD of raround $40 Canadian a box. That is about $20 under original cost and I still get to chase my guy McGahee.

I will say that thanks to Big Ben, most football card wax boxes went up 30-50% last year. Good for my paycheck.

IF anyone is selling, PM me.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PapaPark » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:55 pm

I too just started back up. I was really into collecting basketball cards back during the Jordan era but when he left my basketball passion slowly faded.

It was then that I really picked up football and just recently started collecting football cards.

I just swiped a Priest Auto Game Used Jersey Rookie off of ebay. Figured I'd do it now just in case he announces his retirement during the off season.

I agree it's probably best to purchase cards off of ebay but there is something about opening packs hoping to get THE card. It's almost like lottery scratch tickets. It's insanely addictive.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chefmoby » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:30 pm

I got back into the hobby in 2000. I used to collect back in the 1980's and have/had all the topps complete sets from 1979-1986. I got back into and really went nuts at first ( I collect topps football or really cool relic cards from all sets) the I just settled in and bought little by little. My set is now worth over $12,000 - $17,000. I have cooled down for a while now but still scour over the scene. The best thing to do is collect what you really like. I like topps football. I complete every set with inserts and all from the basic set..this year was awesome with the 50th anniversary set and theme.
The Chef
SFL 1989, 1990, 1994
ATFFL 1995, 1996, 2003,2004,2005
NFFL 2003, 2006 Champion
chefmoby
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Location: Buffalo, the land of cold weather, cold beer and warm women with warm .....

Postby Calyxes » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Insert cards are were the money is at. Get a good rookie jersey or autograph and it can be some big money. I agree buy single cards on ebay and get good deals. I have gooten Mcgahee jersey and autograph cards for 5-10 dollars. Others are the same just depends on who you like.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Deathlok2001 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:48 pm

I would just like to get a nice set of Topps football cards, 2006. They have the most cards in their set. The regular Topps set has 385 I think. There is also a brand called Topps FB which has over 500 cards in the set. I like all those players included in these bigger sets that you never see otherwise.

I hate those 200 card sets that have only stars, what about the other dudes?
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:57 am

I haven't bought any for about a decade but I have tons in my basement - been thinking about buying some this year though. Also considering getting a few of my cards graded, like my Rice and Marino rookie cards plus a couple others.
Gonna go over the current Beckett's too and check out some of my cards as I haven't really done that in years.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk