49ers and Rodgers Agree in Principle... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

49ers and Rodgers Agree in Principle...

Moderator: Football Moderators

49ers and Rodgers Agree in Principle...

Postby RayVins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:05 pm

49ers | Rodgers Agrees to Parameters of Deal
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:53:20 -0700

Jason Cole and Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports NFL Draft prospect QB Aaron Rodgers (California) has agreed to the basic parameters of a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, who hold the No. 1 overall draft pick. Rodgers appears likely to accept a deal since there is a strong feeling around the league that he could slip in the first round if he isn't selected among the top two picks. As reported, the 49ers also continue to negotiate with Utah QB Alex Smith.

looks like if they cant get alex smith's pruce tag down, rodgers really is their guy...

49ers | Hit Snag in Smith Negotiations
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:59:50 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the San Francisco 49ers have not progressed in contract negotiations with NFL Draft prospect QB Alex Smith (Utah). The latest problem is the language changes the 49ers are looking for in the contract. The team does not want to pay more than $7.5 million a year, which was given to the first-round pick during 2004. Talks between the two sides are, however, positive and they will continue until Saturday, April 23.
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:53 pm

I stil think they'd go for smith even though Rodgers is the more economical pick, although not frugal at all.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RayVins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:56 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I stil think they'd go for smith even though Rodgers is the more economical pick, although not frugal at all.

they only pick smith is they will trade him draft day after they pick him or he agrees to take kess money in principle...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:32 am

no way... they are drafting Rodgers. Local kid, cheaper price. No way they don't. Even though its safe to "never say never", I think this solidifies this.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:14 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:no way... they are drafting Rodgers. Local kid, cheaper price. No way they don't. Even though its safe to "never say never", I think this solidifies this.

I havent particularily bought into this Alex Smith rumouring, and if Nolan had actually said they were going to draft Smith no matter the cost, there would not have even been talks with Rodgers.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RayVins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:17 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:no way... they are drafting Rodgers. Local kid, cheaper price. No way they don't. Even though its safe to "never say never", I think this solidifies this.

smith and rodgers are both "local" kids...

rodgers from Cal and, if i'm not mistaken, smith is from la mesa (the armpit of san diego)...
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:20 am

RayVins wrote:

rodgers from Cal and, if i'm not mistaken, smith is from la mesa (the armpit of san diego)...

Considering I live in the so-called "armpit," ouch. Well, close enough.

anyways, Aaron Rodgers specifically wants to remain in the Bay Area, whereas Smith has been in Utah for 3 years. Not to mention, SD is a legitimite 8-9 hours from SF... so I can't really call Smith a "local" as far as SF goes.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RayVins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:25 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
RayVins wrote:

Considering I live in the so-called "armpit," ouch. Well, close enough.

anyways, Aaron Rodgers specifically wants to remain in the Bay Area, whereas Smith has been in Utah for 3 years. Not to mention, SD is a legitimite 8-9 hours from SF... so I can't really call Smith a "local" as far as SF goes.

given the chance any nfl player wants to play near home.

and is smith goes to TB, MIA, or CLE we are talking a 3-5 hour flight as opposed to an hour and a half to get home...
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bigGAME101 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:23 am

I feel bad for SF....really, really bad. I mean, the common trends of the day would suggest taking a QB with the no.1, but I dont see either of these guys evolving into franchise QB's. If I was SF, I would trade down, and if not possible, take edwards or the CB of choice, and get your QB in the second round. I honestly believe there will be more franchise QBs in the second or third this year than taken in the first.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Charlie24 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:50 am

bigGAME101 wrote:I feel bad for SF....really, really bad. I mean, the common trends of the day would suggest taking a QB with the no.1, but I dont see either of these guys evolving into franchise QB's. If I was SF, I would trade down, and if not possible, take edwards or the CB of choice, and get your QB in the second round. I honestly believe there will be more franchise QBs in the second or third this year than taken in the first.

I agree... This looks a lot like that draft a couple of years ago when Houston selected David Carr and Detroit got Harrington... They could very well become very good quarterbacks ( or at least Carr :-b ) but not franchise-type QBs you would expect with the first pick in the draft. Its the same this year. there are very intriguing QBs in the lower rounds that could end up being better than smith or rodgers ( McPherson ;-D ) Their O is in serious need of an impact player so I think they should take Edwards, whch in turn would upgrade any QB they select as well as the running game
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk