SEA LB Brown Released... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SEA LB Brown Released...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RayVins » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:15 pm

Evolution wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Bruschi had a stroke. As optimistic as I am, that will be extremely difficult to come back from. Belicheck likes rotating guys in and out of there too.

Woops sorry did I say Bruschi? I meant Vrabel. My bad.

Does Vrabel play the inside in the 3-4? If so, then yeah, adding Brown would make perfect sense.

vrabel plays ROLB...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:35 pm

I think that the Patriots would love to have Brown, and I thik that he'd be good in teh 3-4 and a very good replacement to Bruschi if he doesn't come back. But do the Pats have enough salary cap room?
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:44 am

He won't go to the Patriots...

A bunch of teams are looking for LB help... but I think the top suitor will be the etremely needy Saints, who have missed out on every LB FA this offseason.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:47 am

Too bad Indy locked all of it's money up in it's offense... :~(
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:09 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:He won't go to the Patriots...

A bunch of teams are looking for LB help... but I think the top suitor will be the etremely needy Saints, who have missed out on every LB FA this offseason.

I think this is more my point.

Brown cannot replace Bruschi simply because Bruschi plays in the middle and Brown is not capable of playing in the middle. If he were, believe me, the Seahawks would not have put Orlando Huff in the middle last year when Brown was healthy.

He'll likely want to end up in a more competitive place. I wouldnt think a place like Philadelphia would be out of the question.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby monkey69 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:54 am

Seattle on the verge of releasing veteran LB
April 20, 2005
AP

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) The Seattle Seahawks are ready to release linebacker Chad Brown to create salary cap room for free agent pickup Jamie Sharper, team president and general manager Tim Ruskell confirmed Wednesday.

Seattle's front office has spent the past month trying to rework Brown's salary, but the 12-year veteran faces a big pay cut. He's scheduled to make $4.2 million. The team's proposal calls for $1 million plus incentives for next fall.

"It's more than what we're willing to do," said Peter Schaffer, Brown's agent.

Sharper agreed last week to a five-year, $17.5 million deal that included a $1.5 million signing bonus. The contract hasn't been signed, but Brown likely will be gone after the deal is approved by the NFL office.

"We've got a logjam," Ruskell said. "We're waiting for the Jamie Sharper contract to be processed, so we're still talking. It isn't dead in the water. Something could happen. We'll see."

Brown, a three-time Pro Bowl player, wants $1.5 million to $2 million, plus incentives for playing time.
-----------------------------

I think that he is a good player (3 Pro Bowls) but teams are going to be wary given his age (35) and injuries - even he is acknowledging it in his demand to Seattle before he was cut - "incentives for playing time"
I think you could safely put him in a rotation but I am not sure teams would count on him for a full-time start. So which teams would have the salary cap for this?
16-teams - 1pt per 10yds rush/receive, 1 pt per 25 yds pass,No PPR
QB(1): Orton,Leftwich,Leinart
RB(2): Jones-Drew, Grant, Cadillac, L Washington, J Davis, Bernard Scott
WR(2): R. White, V. Jackson
TE(1): D. Clark, J. Finley
K(1): Gould
Def(1): BALT,GNB
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:08 am

J2thez929 wrote:This was probably expected since they now have Sharper.

BTW, you are a beast RayVins, on keeping up with these FA signings with your posts ;-D

I was thinking the same thing yesterday,when like three posts came out in like 2 minutes.I think Ray has the NFL.com hooked up to an IV straight to his neural net!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby monkey69 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:41 am

The agent for former Seattle linebacker Chad Brown said the Green Bay Packers were one of the teams his client is interested in and he expects to talk to general manager Ted Thompson before the draft this weekend.

Peter Schaffer said he talked to Thompson on Thursday morning to let him know Brown was about to be cut by the Seahawks for salary-cap purposes and was told to keep the Packers informed about Brown's plans. Whether that indicates a strong interest in the pass-rushing linebacker isn't clear, but Schaffer said the Packers definitely appealed to Brown.

"They're definitely on our radar," Schaffer said. "Chad has a lot of respect for Ted."

Thompson was Seattle's vice president of football operations during some of Brown's best years with the Seahawks and could see the 12-year veteran as a potential fit at weak-side linebacker or as a third-down pass rusher. Brown, who turns 35 in July, has missed 19 games the past three seasons with foot, leg and knee injuries.

The Seahawks wanted to bring Brown back, but he turned down their demand to trim his salary from $4.2 million to $1 million base salary plus $500,000 in incentives. They released him Thursday and might replace him on the weak side with newly signed free agent Jamie Sharper.

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound Brown, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, has 78 career sacks and could help the Packers beef up their pass rush. The Seahawks did not think he was effective playing in space, but thought he still had pass-rush ability.

Schaffer said Brown's two priorities were finding a team that had a shot at a Super Bowl title and playing with his younger brother, Van, a 6-6, 273-pound defensive end from Northwestern Oklahoma State who is eligible to be drafted this weekend.
-------

Any comments on this one?
16-teams - 1pt per 10yds rush/receive, 1 pt per 25 yds pass,No PPR
QB(1): Orton,Leftwich,Leinart
RB(2): Jones-Drew, Grant, Cadillac, L Washington, J Davis, Bernard Scott
WR(2): R. White, V. Jackson
TE(1): D. Clark, J. Finley
K(1): Gould
Def(1): BALT,GNB
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RayVins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:52 pm

Packers | Brown Interested in Joining Team
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:13:14 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports free agent LB Chad Brown (Seahawks) has expressed interest in joining the Green Bay Packers, according to his agent, Peter Schaffer. "They're definitely on our radar," Schaffer said. "Chad has a lot of respect for (Packers general manager) Ted (Thompson)." Thompson was Seattle's vice president of football operations during some of Brown's career with the Seattle Seahawks.

thought i would post this.

for some reason he WANTS to go to GB.

regardless, he goes where he can get money...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk