Angels and Demons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Angels and Demons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Angels and Demons

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:11 am

I was just reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy thread and I realized there is one more book that I need to read. So, I was wondering, while I was on the topic of books, if anyone has read the Dan Brown Book Angels and Demons, the prequel to the national best-seller The Da Vinci Code.

;-D or :-t and an explanation please.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:41 am

I give it a ;-D . It's similar structurally to the Da Vinci Code and has the same main character. If you liked Da Vinci Code you will probably like this although it's not quite as good. People who interpret the Bible very strictly tended not to like Da Vinci Code and they would have the same problems with this book as the church is not always depicted very positively.

His other books Digital Fortress and Deception Point also aren't bad although very different from his religion-based novels.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:31 pm

I give it ;-D ;-D ;-D . I like it better than Da Vinci Code... its an awesome book. Definitely a read for anyone who liked Da Vinci Code.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 pm

:-t :-t This guy is one of the worst writers to ever sell a book. I will preface my comments by saying that I'm Catholic but not overly religious. I believe in the tenets of Catholicism but I am a strong critic of the Church.

I read Angels and Demons first and thought that it was very poorly writen - more like a movie script than a novel. Then I tried to read DaVinci Code and couldn't finish it. The guy uses every cliche in the book, cannot write dialogue to save his life, the premise is unbelievable and the character development is non-existent (he might as well just say: "picture Indiana Jones without a whip"). My guess is that it only became a bestseller because it knocked the Church. I cannot express how bad a writer he is, I've read better stuff in the National Inquirer.

I don't mean to be too critical but I really didn't like his work and I read damned near everything.

That being said Angels and Demons is slightly better, in the same way that Police Academy 4 can be said to be better than Booty Call.

If you enjoyed HGG I suggest that you move on to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Hilarious work by the same author.

Moving away from straight fiction I urge you to read Bill Bryson. He is an American who has written for years about his travels and about the trials of an American living and raising a family in Britain. I recommend The Lost Continent, Neithre Here Nor There and Notes From a Small Island.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:54 pm

Not sure what book Mookie was reading, but I definitely would give Angels and Demons a ;-D ;-D . It was incredibly entertaining, and I would recommend it to anyone. Mookie is the first person I have ever heard slam the book, just about everyone I've ever heard talk about the book had only good things to say...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun May 01, 2005 4:49 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote::-t :-t This guy is one of the worst writers to ever sell a book. I will preface my comments by saying that I'm Catholic but not overly religious. I believe in the tenets of Catholicism but I am a strong critic of the Church.

I read Angels and Demons first and thought that it was very poorly writen - more like a movie script than a novel. Then I tried to read DaVinci Code and couldn't finish it. The guy uses every cliche in the book, cannot write dialogue to save his life, the premise is unbelievable and the character development is non-existent (he might as well just say: "picture Indiana Jones without a whip"). My guess is that it only became a bestseller because it knocked the Church. I cannot express how bad a writer he is, I've read better stuff in the National Inquirer.

I don't mean to be too critical but I really didn't like his work and I read damned near everything.

That being said Angels and Demons is slightly better, in the same way that Police Academy 4 can be said to be better than Booty Call.

If you enjoyed HGG I suggest that you move on to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Hilarious work by the same author.

Moving away from straight fiction I urge you to read Bill Bryson. He is an American who has written for years about his travels and about the trials of an American living and raising a family in Britain. I recommend The Lost Continent, Neithre Here Nor There and Notes From a Small Island.

I'm a very devout 18-year-old Catholic (I'm spending over a week in a third world country this year to help at an orphanage, I'm on the Youth Council at my church, and I go to church twice a week). I didn't find The Da Vinci Code offensive, at all. There were knocks on the Catholic faith, but what is being faithful if you can't take the occasional jab? I found the literature very suspenseful and you need to realize that this is written from the author's point of view. Religiously, I found it completely off base, but it was very well-written. His views are off, but his writing is amazing.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to General Talk