Bears in '05 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Chicago Bears

Bears in '05

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bears in '05

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat May 07, 2005 9:58 am

I just went over the Chicago Bears team for the 2005 season. Let me offer you a little bit of advice...

FIND A QUARTERBACK!

Wow, this is a very good defense and the offense is really going to improve with Grossman back, Benson/Jones running the ball, and Mushi still having some left in the tank. I'm sure most of you knew this, but the Chicago Bears offense was ranked 13th prior to Rex Grossman's injury. Don't get me wrong, the Vikings own the division, but the Bears should control the #2 spot and likely contend deep into the playoffs.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bears in '05

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon May 09, 2005 12:43 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:I just went over the Chicago Bears team for the 2005 season. Let me offer you a little bit of advice...

FIND A QUARTERBACK!

Wow, this is a very good defense and the offense is really going to improve with Grossman back, Benson/Jones running the ball, and Mushi still having some left in the tank. I'm sure most of you knew this, but the Chicago Bears offense was ranked 13th prior to Rex Grossman's injury. Don't get me wrong, the Vikings own the division, but the Bears should control the #2 spot and likely contend deep into the playoffs.

I think even a blind man can see we need a quality backup. I knew they were doing very well with Rex starting, so I understand not grabbing a starting QB, but the backup in this league is very important. As far as anyone "owning" the division, that's too dicey to call. Detroit has significantly improved, so don't put them in the rear view mirror just yet. The Bears aren't ready to win it yet, but at least I'm realistic about it. Give it a year or two and big changes will start to happen in this division.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon May 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Bennett4prez wrote:I just went over the Chicago Bears team for the 2005 season. Let me offer you a little bit of advice...

FIND A QUARTERBACK!

Detroit I'm pessimistic about. I think Detriot is too offense happy. I mean, look at the Vikings. They have had some of the most dominating offenses in the league the past few years and they went 8-8 and 9-7 these last two seasons. Detroit will play .500 ball, but they defense is just too poor. The Vikings secondary (Winfield, Smoot, Sharper, and Chavous) and Chicago (which I'm sure you're aware of) can take care of the Detriot passing game, and then what do they have? A significantly ugly defense and less than mediocre offensive line to protect KJ. No, the Lions won't be able to compete until they get some better playmakers on the other side of the football.

I think even a blind man can see we need a quality backup. I knew they were doing very well with Rex starting, so I understand not grabbing a starting QB, but the backup in this league is very important. As far as anyone "owning" the division, that's too dicey to call. Detroit has significantly improved, so don't put them in the rear view mirror just yet. The Bears aren't ready to win it yet, but at least I'm realistic about it. Give it a year or two and big changes will start to happen in this division.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon May 09, 2005 8:02 pm

FIND A QUARTERBACK!

If everybody is healthy, it is a very good defense. When Urlacher got hurt last year, they fell apart a bit, partially also because the offense was 3-plays-and-out about the same time.

You are 100% right about the QB. The Bears have decided to take the same gamble as last year, namely to depend on Rex Grossman without adequate backup. If Rex gets hurt, the Bears will deserve to lose since they couldn't even sign a journeyman halfway decent backup QB.

The Bears are a team though that if everything (and I mean everything) goes right, could have a Cinderella season like the Ravens a few years ago. They would need Grossman to play well and stay healthy, most of the defense to stay healthy, Muhammed to come near last year's numbers, another receiver to step up, Benson/Jones to play well and a reliable kicking game. That's a lot of "if's" but most of the pieces are there.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue May 10, 2005 7:39 am

I wouldn't say the Bears fell apart defensively last year even when Urlacher was hurt. The only real embarrassing performance I remember was against the Colts, but not many defense did well against the Colts last year.

The back-up QB situation is similar to last year, but nowhere near as bad. If Grossman were to get hurt again, there won't be a five game span where Quinn/Krenzel start. Hutchinson will be the back-up from the start and I believe he could be a suitable back-up. I think it would have helped to add Warner, Johnson, or Garcia, but I wouldn't have wanted them to get in a bidding war for a back-up QB and then not add Miller or Garza.

The Bears definately have a solid core and barring injuries, kicking Edinger's ass out of town, and being in the weaker NFC gives us a shot at the playoffs. Once there, anything could happen. I don't see a team in the NFC that we can't beat. A healthy Urlacher negates Vick. The Eagles are the same team that lost three straight NFC championships without TO and Westbrook. If by some very outside chance we made the Super Bowl, I think the Chiefs or Colts would kill us. Give us the Steelers or Pats and anything can happen. I only say this because the Steelers and Pats play such close games that one bad pass or fumble could completely change things. The Pats have won three of four and they earned each one, but one mistake in any of those games could have changed the whole game.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue May 10, 2005 1:03 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:I wouldn't say the Bears fell apart defensively last year even when Urlacher was hurt. The only real embarrassing performance I remember was against the Colts, but not many defense did well against the Colts last year.

The back-up QB situation is similar to last year, but nowhere near as bad. If Grossman were to get hurt again, there won't be a five game span where Quinn/Krenzel start. Hutchinson will be the back-up from the start and I believe he could be a suitable back-up. I think it would have helped to add Warner, Johnson, or Garcia, but I wouldn't have wanted them to get in a bidding war for a back-up QB and then not add Miller or Garza.

The Bears definately have a solid core and barring injuries, kicking Edinger's ass out of town, and being in the weaker NFC gives us a shot at the playoffs. Once there, anything could happen. I don't see a team in the NFC that we can't beat. A healthy Urlacher negates Vick. The Eagles are the same team that lost three straight NFC championships without TO and Westbrook. If by some very outside chance we made the Super Bowl, I think the Chiefs or Colts would kill us. Give us the Steelers or Pats and anything can happen. I only say this because the Steelers and Pats play such close games that one bad pass or fumble could completely change things. The Pats have won three of four and they earned each one, but one mistake in any of those games could have changed the whole game.

I said the defense fell apart "a bit" when Urlacher went down and I think that's about right, although there were other factors and his was not the only injury.

I disagree with you on the backup QB situation. The quality backups did not get the kind of money that would have shot the salary cap - we could have got Garza and the rest AND a decent backup IMHO. You and I both agree this is a potentially very good team, but to me the Bears management has taken a big risk having Hutch and George as backups. It doen't matter if Hutchinson will be there from the start, he is still a guy that everybody else gave up on and he is a gamble. Jeff George? Don't even go there. Lovie Smith told us last season of his great confidence in Jonathon Quinn and now I am a little leery of trusting him again on the QB issue.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:33 pm

George is gone. Most likely the depth chart at QB to open the season will be Grossman, Hutchinson, Orton.

I'm not saying that's not a gamble, but Hutch at least showed signs that he could be a back-up QB in the NFL. He looks a lot better to me than Quinn or Krenzel. That is why I am saying it is not as bad as it was last year. Even when we won with Krenzel he still didn't look competent. Hutch at least presents the threat of a pass which is an improvement over Quinn/Krenzel. Again, are we gambling at back-up QB? Yes. I just think our odds at the table are a lot batter with Hutch/Orton than they were with Quinn/Krenzel. Still a gamble, but not nearly as bad.

Besides, we have no idea what went on with the FA QBs in the offseason. Warner got a starting job so it would have taken a lot more than AZ was offering to get him here. Garcia went to Detroit where he could only have to wait two weeks before he gets the starting job where as it would take a Grossman injury here. Brad Johnson went back to his original team. Maybe the Bears offered these guys just as much or more than these teams and they just said no for a better situation. Frerotte looked good in Minnesota, but you or I could look good firing to Randy Moss. Fiedler sucks. So the three I would take had better situations elsewhere and I'll take Hutch over Fiedler or Frerotte. If they are better, they're just barely better than Hutch. That's not worth the 2-5 million it would have taken to sign them in my opinion.

Hopefully this is all a moot point, Grossman stays healthy all year, and develops into our QB for years to come ala Drew Brees.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Chicago Bears