Alright damnit, speak up! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to San Francisco 49ers

Alright damnit, speak up!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Alright damnit, speak up!

Postby MadScott » Sat May 07, 2005 2:00 pm

I know there's a bunch of us 49er fans here at the Cafe so let's talk it up. What do you think about our draft? Personally, I thought we went a bit too heavy on offense and didn't address some needs on defense in particular at DT and CB. Like the Gore pick? I do. Come on guys, rally up and let's chat! ;-D
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby King_Portis » Sat May 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Whats to like about the Gore pick when there are so many other pressing needs and more runningbacks without numerous injurys. Barlow will be fine. He needs a capable o-line to follow and they addressed those needs some what. Nolan needs to bring in Jerry Rice to ad some stability & veteran leadership to the team.
King_Portis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Sit back and enjoy as I make my way into the record books in 2005.

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 08, 2005 4:41 pm

Our draft was probably about as good as it could be with what was there to take. We really got screwed in the fact that there wasn't a super-star can't miss player at any position. Even if we wanted to trade down, there was no one player that someone couldn't get where they were that they had to trade up for.

I don't know how Smith will do, but hopefully he'll be solid. Yes, the lines definitely needed some work, and our secondary is always horrid. We may have been able to address these needs had we been able to trade down to say the 8th-10th pick and the 20th pick...but without a trading partner, we had to go with what we had. Not sure we had to get Gore, but if Barlow is a flop, then at least there will be someone to possibly push him.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby King_Portis » Sun May 08, 2005 9:26 pm

I really don't like the Gore pick that high. Probably could have got him in the 4th round. If Barlow does stink it up again, then its a smart pick but I don't see Barlow doing that as long as the line stays healthy.
King_Portis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby proKrastinate » Mon May 09, 2005 2:32 am

i think possibly, since Nolan is a defensive minded coach, that we can get away with less talen on Defense and make up for it with superisor coaching. atleast for the short term. Since we may possibly starting a rookie quarterback on a team that gave the qb all of .2 seconds to throw the ball last year, I like the fact that we paid attention to the offense as much as we did. No sense in killing what confidence this kid does have in his first season.

Gore was early, and I think we could have gotten him later. His knees make me worry. Injuries can absolutely kill a team.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Mon May 09, 2005 1:21 pm

King_Portis wrote:Whats to like about the Gore pick when there are so many other pressing needs and more runningbacks without numerous injurys. Barlow will be fine. He needs a capable o-line to follow and they addressed those needs some what. Nolan needs to bring in Jerry Rice to ad some stability & veteran leadership to the team.

Word was that Gore was working his way up the draft board the last week or so and could have gone as high as the 2nd rd. I agree that it would have been nicer to grab him in the 4th rd., but I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and we know which one will get full first. I think Barlow could be fine if he gets his head on right. Trouble is, he keeps thinking he's Barry Sanders, which he's not. Run the play called and he'll be fine.

I disagree with us needing Rice back either. As much as I hate to see it, he's not even a shell of his former self. They can damn neared sign 2 rookie prospects at WR for what it would cost to give Rice a vets minimum contract. Plus, from what has been said, it's not like his ego has taken a rest. His demanding the ball in this offense could lead to locker room troubles. If he wants it, give him a one day contract to retire and call it a day.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby King_Portis » Mon May 09, 2005 9:57 pm

I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and we know which one will get full first. [/quote]

Nice, LOLOL!

I do believe the defense will be much better with Nolan and if they do the run first mentality. They can stick in games with the chance of pulling them out at the end.
King_Portis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Tue May 10, 2005 2:38 pm

Yeah, I do think that the defense under Nolan/Singletary will make strides this season. Rumph is supposed to move to safety, which is where I thought they should have put him at his rookie year as his instincts just aren't CBlike plus he's a hell of a hitter. Their LB corps remains solid with Peterson the standout and if Carter can get healthy, the DL should be better this season as well. The biggest question will remain the CB position.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby proKrastinate » Sat May 14, 2005 2:57 pm

perhaps with a good constant pressure on the QB, we can make our CB troubles a little less painful
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Sat May 14, 2005 6:07 pm

Great point proKrastinate. We need Carter to be healthy and dominate like we thought he could when drafted.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to San Francisco 49ers