XBOX 360 Specs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

XBOX 360 Specs

Moderator: Football Moderators

XBOX 360 Specs

Postby kashikis » Wed May 11, 2005 2:15 pm

It appears someone has started leaking the specs to the XBOX 360.

Looks pretty impressive

Here's the link.

DVD burners, detatchable harddrives, sounds fun ;-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 11, 2005 6:52 pm

I think they're making a mistake in putting a DVD burner in there.

It'll drive up the system cost and I can't imagine a scenario where someone would be willing to spend $400 or more on a console but not have a PC with a DVD burner in it...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby terpfan » Wed May 11, 2005 8:56 pm

Microsoft is unveiling the XBOX 360 tommorow, May 12th, on MTV at 9:30. I'll be watching! :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tyr » Thu May 12, 2005 3:29 am

Free Bagel wrote:I think they're making a mistake in putting a DVD burner in there.

It'll drive up the system cost and I can't imagine a scenario where someone would be willing to spend $400 or more on a console but not have a PC with a DVD burner in it...

I'm not so sure about the DVD-RW thing. Microsoft is very obviously piracy aware, and I can't seem them willingly putting a tool like that on their system.. it seems pretty pointless to me anyways.

..and good god, that rumoured CPU is BEASTLY. I'm curious why they're only going the 512MB RAM route, though.

Does anyone have preliminary marketing numbers on the system? If it's in the $300 ballpark I'll be pre-ordering a 360 along with Madden NG as soon as it's available. (Hell, I'd rather have a 360 than a PSP anyways... Rer!)
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu May 12, 2005 3:46 am

I doubt the Xbox 360 lauches anything lower than 400, so don't get your hopes up. However, I have heard (word of mouth, no credible source) that PS3 might launch upwards of 600-700 dollars! Doubt it, but if it is... that is ungodly.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tyr » Thu May 12, 2005 3:50 am

I wouldn't doubt the PS3 would cost that much -right now-... but considering it's not supposed to be released for another year or so, prices will almost certainly level out.

Keep in mind that the original XBox was rumored to start sales at $400, was marketed at $300, then quickly dropped down to the $150 price range it's settled in at now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. Microsoft is damned good with their contracts, and I'm hoping that will be reflected in the retail price.. (Microsoft's marketing strategy focuses on software sales, not hardware.. somewhere that Sony goes wrong, imo)
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu May 12, 2005 5:03 am

If the xbox 360 and the ps3 go upwards of 350, I don't know whta to say. They'd be losing a lot of sales of the kids who play the games but don't have $400, and their parents won't spend that much on it for them, like me and my parents. Please price it below $300. :-o
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tyr » Thu May 12, 2005 5:24 am

Don't worry, Microsoft will do anything for the children.

/sarcasm.

In all seriousness though, the Xbox is generally considered the "hardcore" answer to light console gaming that Nintendo and Sony cater to. While Sony has certainly taken steps to rectify that image, Microsoft is still the most desireable option for modders, hardware geeks, and so on.

The fact that they cater to that niche market alone allows Microsoft a much larger range in where they will be pricing their console. Parents buy Nintendo for their children. Teenagers buy the PS2 for GTA. Geeks buy the Xbox for modability and the more hardc ore online gaming experiences. (Halo 2. 'nuff said.)

While I'm still banking on Microsoft putting a $300 initial pricetag (and possibly taking a loss on hardware and planning on making up for it in HUGE software sales of Halo 360, and the early "Next Gen" brands), a $350 or possibly $400 tag could still be reasonable for consumers.

I think Microsoft learned a huge lesson when they marketed the Xbox at a profit. The Xbox didn't start bringing in sales (after day 1) that were comparable to the PS2 marketing numbers until they lowered the price the second time - taking an actual profit loss per unit per sale. I don't expect to see a markup on the hardware this time around, and I'm sure that the price will be lowered substantially at the PS3 release date, making it an excellent alternative at release, and an even better alternative when Sony finally gets their cra p together.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu May 12, 2005 5:47 am

Tyr wrote:Don't worry, Microsoft will do anything for the children.

/sarcasm.

In all seriousness though, the Xbox is generally considered the "hardcore" answer to light console gaming that Nintendo and Sony cater to. While Sony has certainly taken steps to rectify that image, Microsoft is still the most desireable option for modders, hardware geeks, and so on.

The fact that they cater to that niche market alone allows Microsoft a much larger range in where they will be pricing their console. Parents buy Nintendo for their children. Teenagers buy the PS2 for GTA. Geeks buy the Xbox for modability and the more hardc ore online gaming experiences. (Halo 2. 'nuff said.)

While I'm still banking on Microsoft putting a $300 initial pricetag (and possibly taking a loss on hardware and planning on making up for it in HUGE software sales of Halo 360, and the early "Next Gen" brands), a $350 or possibly $400 tag could still be reasonable for consumers.

I think Microsoft learned a huge lesson when they marketed the Xbox at a profit. The Xbox didn't start bringing in sales (after day 1) that were comparable to the PS2 marketing numbers until they lowered the price the second time - taking an actual profit loss per unit per sale. I don't expect to see a markup on the hardware this time around, and I'm sure that the price will be lowered substantially at the PS3 release date, making it an excellent alternative at release, and an even better alternative when Sony finally gets their cra p together.

Tyr makes a solid argument here. Microsoft will probably sell Xboxs at a loss to be made up in software sells. HOWEVER, Xbox made damn sure that they are the first console on market, so don't be shocked if Xbox 360 launches high, then when PS2 launches 4-6 months later, Xbox will price drop. A very cunning tactic... one they SHOULD imploy (doesn't mean they will). But if there is one thing Gates knows, it's how to rape the consumer out of all they have.

Personally, I am a casual gamer (aka: knows nothing about "modding"), but I still prefer my trusty Xbox over PS2. And I just bought a GC. So I'll likely end up doing with next gen as I did with these two... play the old gen until they are DEAD (I was one of the ones that bought DC at $40, a sound investment), then wait for the bid price drop before I go next gen. Unfourtunately, things like school and (for some reason) food have to come before gaming now.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kashikis » Thu May 12, 2005 8:26 am

I think Microsoft has learned a lot after their first system. They made a few mistakes but I doubt they will repeat them. Microsoft has a personal vendetta to crush Sony in the console market.

$300 has been the established kick off price. So I expect that to be the price with a drop when PS3 comes out. I don't think they would risk not having a firm grasp on the market when PS3 launches.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Video Games