We just axed the Sunday Ticket and Directv. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

We just axed the Sunday Ticket and Directv.

Moderator: Football Moderators

We just axed the Sunday Ticket and Directv.

Postby awwchrist » Fri May 13, 2005 12:20 pm

Yep. Tis True. Moved over to comcast cable. Sure, no Sunday Ticket..as painful as it may be. But the increased subscription price for each of the last 4 years has been a strain.

In addition, to purchase a Directv High Def/DVR receiver is like taking a small personal loan out. Eight hundred dollars? Ridiculous. I'm tired of watching only OTA HD broadcasts.

So, we got Comcast delivered yesterday. 60 recording hours of normal television, 15 hours of HD content. Sure, no Sunday Ticket, but with all programming the same (not including the new additional HD content) we're making ten bucks back a month.

One thing I wanted to mention...If you threaten to cancel your Directv service, they throw everything but the kitchen sink at you to stay. Discount hardware, free Starz package, and a few other things.

Something to think about if you're a current subscriber.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: We just axed the Sunday Ticket and Directv.

Postby Redskins Win » Fri May 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks for the headsup on that. I'm a current subscriber and want to bump up to the world of HD tv, My only problem with changing to cable is I'd have to have Adelphia, which I think is much slimmer content wise than comcast. (gotta love the on demand)

awwchrist wrote:Yep. Tis True. Moved over to comcast cable. Sure, no Sunday Ticket..as painful as it may be. But the increased subscription price for each of the last 4 years has been a strain.

In addition, to purchase a Directv High Def/DVR receiver is like taking a small personal loan out. Eight hundred dollars? Ridiculous. I'm tired of watching only OTA HD broadcasts.

So, we got Comcast delivered yesterday. 60 recording hours of normal television, 15 hours of HD content. Sure, no Sunday Ticket, but with all programming the same (not including the new additional HD content) we're making ten bucks back a month.

One thing I wanted to mention...If you threaten to cancel your Directv service, they throw everything but the kitchen sink at you to stay. Discount hardware, free Starz package, and a few other things.

Something to think about if you're a current subscriber.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:26 pm

wow i was actually planning on dropping my current carrier, comcast, and subscribe to directv just for the ticket. looks like i dont have to worry about that now. just curious how much you are paying including the recorder per month? i just have basic cable (non-digital) and im still paying upper 40's per month. i also dont get the showtime-hbo type channels. im hoping to keep it under 100 bones a month :-o :-o
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 pm

Well, the comcast CSR asked me what programming service we were getting and how much we were paying.

I told her our programming package (total choice plus, hbo) and that we were paying $65/month. She retorted with the equal comcast cable package, plus hbo, for ten bucks less.

They call it their "Satellite buyback program". sounds like they give you the same service, but for ten bucks cheaper. The monthly fee is over a 16 month non-obligated contact. There is no mandatory commitment. I can cancel at anytime.

In return, the Install tech gets to take one of your satellite receivers. We gave him our no-frills spare bedroom receiver. We still kept our 40-Gig Tivo/Directv Unit.

One thing I forgot to mention, as I was "negotiating" my cancellation with Directv...

We were talking about The Sunday Ticket and the Directv CSR says with a glint of cheer in her voice "You know Directv has exclusive rights on out of market subscription games through 2010?"

I replied "And you think that's a good thing?"
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Fri May 13, 2005 1:31 pm

We just got our DVR for Comcast last week. Gotta say it's nice not to have to rush home from a little league game so you don't miss the first ten minutes of a show. ;-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:13 pm

thats it. im getting one. my comcast bill is going to be enormous combined with internet service :-o guess its time to get that second job :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 13, 2005 2:20 pm

Bah, if only I didn't live in Hickville where the only service available is Time Warner...we've had a DirecTV for a long time now, and I have to pay 73 bucks a month for it. :-[

That includes Showtime that my sister wanted (and she's paying for it), an extra receiver for her room (which she's NOT paying for), and the four network stations (NY and LA) that we have to get because we can barely get the local networks on our antenna. The only nice thing is that I get to watch over half the NFL games during the season because of all the network coverage...so it's sort of like having the Ticket on that account.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri May 13, 2005 2:55 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Bah, if only I didn't live in Hickville where the only service available is Time Warner...we've had a DirecTV for a long time now, and I have to pay 73 bucks a month for it. :-[

That includes Showtime that my sister wanted (and she's paying for it), an extra receiver for her room (which she's NOT paying for), and the four network stations (NY and LA) that we have to get because we can barely get the local networks on our antenna. The only nice thing is that I get to watch over half the NFL games during the season because of all the network coverage...so it's sort of like having the Ticket on that account.

I was under the impression that extra receivers didn't cost extra. Could be mistaken, and getting ripped off by my roommate who told me it didn't (he signed up for the service, I never see the bill). In the eternal words off Droopy...."That makes me mad". :-#
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 13, 2005 2:59 pm

Hmm, well on our bill it's $5 for the extra feed.

It was worse before, though...since our original plan called for us "renting" the boxes, they were soaking us $18 a month for "rental fees." Once I started paying for it about 2 years ago, I called them up and said that was ridiculous. I just bought the receivers outright in order to save money in the long run. :-[
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Fri May 13, 2005 2:59 pm

my monthly personal "NFL package":

beer $40.00
food $20.00
tips $25.00
getting away from screaming wife/child Priceless
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator