The Summer movie thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Summer movie thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RyanK » Wed May 18, 2005 12:17 pm

maddog60 wrote:
RyanK wrote:Charlie and the Chocolate factory is a sequal to willy wonka... its about charlie (johnny deep) being grown up and running the factory... im pretty sure

Unfortunately, no. Checked out the cast on imdb, and Johnny Depp is playing Willy Wonka. Nothing against Depp, but I don't think this remake has a shot at all of even matching the original. Gene Wilder has done many roles that others just wouldnt be able to pull off, and this is one of them. Wilder made the movie, and I doubt even Depp can match him in this role.

ooo.. in that case... i agree with you.. Wilder was a great actor, deep is not "Wonka" material, I could see someone like Jim Carrey, Bill Murry, Chevy Chase in a Wonka role... I think Carrey would make a good Wonka...
RyanK
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed May 18, 2005 4:25 pm

maddog60 wrote:
RyanK wrote:Charlie and the Chocolate factory is a sequal to willy wonka... its about charlie (johnny deep) being grown up and running the factory... im pretty sure

Unfortunately, no. Checked out the cast on imdb, and Johnny Depp is playing Willy Wonka. Nothing against Depp, but I don't think this remake has a shot at all of even matching the original. Gene Wilder has done many roles that others just wouldnt be able to pull off, and this is one of them. Wilder made the movie, and I doubt even Depp can match him in this role.

I hear ya on that. Depp has pulled off some amazing roles, but he's just not Wonka to me. Maybe it was because I grew up on the original, but there aren't many people who can pull off Wilder, as you stated.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Wed May 18, 2005 4:26 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:i just saw kingdom of heaven and it was a huge disappointment.

Miner, just out of curiosity, did the movie suck because it didn't do anything real well? By that I mean, supposedly the whole thing had a run time of over 4 hours but Ridley Scott was told to cut it to it's present 2 1/2 hour length so a ton of stuff got left on the cut room floor. I heard that the full version is more congruent.

goleafsgo96 wrote:And as a sleeper pick, i havent heard anything official yet, but i heard there was going to be a movie on the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe coming out sometime soon. Now the chronicles of Narnia kick ass and that would be a sweet movie, anyone else heard anything about that??

I've heard the same thing. I don't know when it's coming out but I thought I heard it was maybe this fall/Christmas. I agree, this sounds like it could be a good new series to follow.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 19, 2005 3:55 pm

Saw some extended previews last night, here's my thoughts on upcoming movies:

Batman Begins: Christian Bale could very well be the past Batman ever. Seriously. I dont know how I feel about what looked like its the new batmobile, but this should be an interesting take to restart the Batman series, delving into how a young Bruce Wayne decided to become Batman.

Fantastic Four: I can't imagine them making this movie any good, but the preview made it look very well done. The way they're playing Johnny Storm is great, and there was a clip of The Thing saying "Its cobblering time!" as he punched Doctor Doom through a wall.

Chronicles of Narnia: Wow, this is going back to grade school when it was mandatory to check something out of the library, I read this series. It looks spectactular, though from what I recall I more of a Hobbit feel to the movie/story not LotR feel.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk