Tough question for those who like politics! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Tough question for those who like politics!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tough question for those who like politics!

Postby Calyxes » Wed May 18, 2005 11:48 pm

:-°
Last edited by Calyxes on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 am

Personally, I think you should run because you want to run and not to exact revenge upon someone who you feel wronged you. If you have a passion for government and it's what you want to do, that's one thing. If you're only doing it to get even with him, then you'll end up like a Capt. Ahab chasing a whale.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Thu May 19, 2005 12:26 am

Yes, I think you should definately run against him next time. Not only that, I think you should make this story the basis of your campaign against him. Show the people what kind of dishonest jerk this guy is; they have the right to know who they're voting for. Get as much attention in the local media as you can, even print out flyers telling people this story. This guy is a liar and should not have been elected in the first place. So even if you can't win, take him down with you and let the Republicans get elected (I'm a Democrat too, so no I'm not just saying this because I want the Republicans to win).
;-)

Maybe you should take a look at Michael Moore's Ficus-campain in 2000. He almost got a Ficus-plant elected for Congres in New Jersey just by creating a media-circus around it and pointing out what kind of scum the current polician really was. The plant did manage to get more votes than the other guy on election day, but unfortunately the judge ruled only humans can get elected for conges.
;-D

Anyway, good luck to you running against that guy. :-)
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:42 am

Are you opposed to running for the Republicans? I find in Canada it is easier to get elected when you are from a party. It seems independants rarely get elected. Mainly becuase there are people out there who vote for the party, no matter who the person running is. Good luck ;-D
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:13 am

Run if you think you can make a difference. Me personally, I could care less about a party, and more about the person. So if you think you can do good things in a position of government, but yourself in a position where you stand a chance to win, and do your best to show people why you'd be good for them.

Whether you decide to run or not, or for what party, you should make this knowledge known. Find any hard copies that correlate with these events, anything at all to substantiate your claim, and then make sure the voters know what kind of man he is. He sounds like a manipulative liar from what you've said, and that's the last kind of person to represent the people.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Thu May 19, 2005 3:11 am

maddog60 wrote:He sounds like a manipulative liar

youve just described 99% of politicians...

calyxes, dont run for revenge, run because you want to, because you think you can help. the guy sounds like a sneaky ass but thats just business as usual in politics. plus i think negative campaigns are the wrong way to go, which is where it seems you would be going.

i agree with portis though, independents generally have a rough time getting elected. if i were you i would go ahead and run as a democrat and go up against him, you would probably lose in the primaries considering hes the incumbent but it would help get your name out, let people know what youre all about for the next time, even give you a little experience running. of course campaigns cost lots of money so you might not be able to do this fiscally.
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu May 19, 2005 8:40 am

I think if you want to run against him, great, but do it for the original reasons you wanted the office, not as revenge. If you do run, I wouldn't even mention the fact that you were screwed over by him, you will just sound whiny. Most voters will not care that he promised you a job then welshed on it and may actually look at you negatively since in a way it looks like you knuckled under to union pressure (I'm not saying you did, just that it could be viewed that way).

I would stick with whatever party best reflects your principles. Running as an independent is an option, but as others have pointed out, gets expensive. For smaller races, though, I have seen people do OK around here if they can finance their own race.

Your other option would be to look at a municipal or county office to run for. That would get your name out there and if you do a good job build some support for later.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Calyxes » Thu May 19, 2005 9:07 am

Thanks everyone! I would never bring up the fact that he promised me a job if I ran against him. That just would not help my cause. As you noticed I did not even name him in my post. I would never run if I did not think that I could make a difference, which I do think I can. As far as getting the money to run, fund-raising is my strong point. I am not rich by any means but I could afford to put some of my own money into it.

As far as running as a indy, I think it can work in our area. We have 13% unemployment in the city I live in and people here really are getting mad at both republicans and democrats. We have had two public projects that went over cost by about 21 million and guess who are local officals expect to pay for it. Now they want to add a 61% surcharge on the tax we pay on our phone bill tax. Also they are trying to raise are dumping fees at the landfills from 21cents up to $7.50 a ton. People in our area are not happy right now and I think this next election would be prime for knocking out alot of incumbants. Chances are I would not win but I sure could make some headaches for people.

I learned my lesson. No matter how much you want to believe politicians, don't.

I guess I did not explain my question correctly. I could wait and run in 6 years as a democrat and do well. But If I got him knocked out next election I could run in 4 years as a democrat. I am just not sure how people would look at it when it gets brought up that I ran as a indy and then as a democrat.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hastur » Thu May 19, 2005 12:17 pm

You were played from the very beginning, I'll bet. They never intended to give you a job. The only thing they wanted was to get you out of the running. They saw your potential to oust their(the union) canidate. The canidate was already influenced by and bought into the union way of thinking. The union wanted him in there because he would do/say what they wanted him to. You were schnookered. Sorry to put it this way, but you were 'sold' on the idea.

They also want you to get mad and join the independant party. That plays right into their hands. Very easy to beat the independant party. Please don't do it. They will be able to take advantage of your 'misdirection'.

Next election, do what it is you set out to do. Don't let them dissuade you. Don't let them talk you out of it. Don't let them tell you its for the good of the region or the homeless or the local economy or the rainforests in brazil. Thats basically their job. To get someone who will 'play ball' with their union and financial interests to get elected. You are a threat to their 'comfort level'.

In the mean time, do some research on what tactics they will try to use on you, along with your opponents. Doing research doesn't mean you have to learn what it is you read, but to learn what it is your 'enemies' will try to use against you. Sun Tzu said "know your enemy". He was talking about their strategies, their tactics. Know what to expect, and you'll know how to deflect.

48 Laws of Power by Green
How to master the art of selling by Hopkins
The power of influence forgot the author

Please, next time......kick their @$#!!!
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 pm

I agree with what others have said, don't run for spite, but do so if you feel you can contribute. I wouldn't worry about burning bridges with him as he already has done it to you. Good luck.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk