The official I saw Star WarsIII..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The official I saw Star WarsIII.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Sat May 28, 2005 1:57 pm

I thought the movie was ok. Better than the first 2 but not as good as 4, 5, and 6. 3 things I didn't really care for:

1. Christiansen is an absolutely horrible actor unless that's the way Lucas makes him be. Half the time he looks like he's in a high school play.

2. Wish they would have shown Darth Vader (in costume) more than like 5 minutes. My goodness, there are like 30 years between episodes 3 and 4, show something in that time period!

3. All of my friends and I thought Anakin turned way way too quickly to the dark side, highly unbelievable. I mean, you spend basically 15-20 years training with the Jedis and in a couple days you become evil, get real.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Sat May 28, 2005 2:21 pm

Calyxes wrote:Does anyone know what charcter Lucas' son played. I read in time that he had a small part in the movie. I think he was the young jedi who tried to fight off the attack but was killed. Just a guess though.

On IMDb.com they list a few Lucas' in the cast-listing (including George). Anyway, here ya go...

People Named 'Lucas' in Star Wars wrote:Amanda Lucas .... Terr Taneel
Jett Lucas .... Zett Jukassa
Katie Lucas .... Chi Eekway
George Lucas .... Baron Papanoida (uncredited)

Anyway, I caught it last Thursday and was slightly disappointed. Only slightly because my expectations were low to begin with. I've learned my lesson from Episodes I & II... but it was better than Episodes I & II, so that's nice.

Most people have already mentioned what I will, but dammit - I like the sound of my fingers tappin' on the keyboard. So anyway, Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen did poor jobs acting (like they've done in the previous Star Wars movie[s]). I haven't seen any of Christensen's other movies, but Portman is usually pretty good.

The dialog was pretty bad for the most part - especially in the scenes that supposedly dealt with romance. A lot of lines seemed forced and unnatural.

Anyway, Ewan McGregor did a great job as Obi Wan Kenobi. Ian McDiarmid also did a good job reprisin' his role as the Emperor (he also played him in Return of the Jedi).

R2D2 was a lot more useful in these new movies... I kind of wish a lot of his stuff was toned down a bit... but that's just being nit-picky.

Overall it was pretty solid... disappointing to a degree, but solid. It was cool to see everything put together (even if I don't like how some of it was).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby maddog60 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:05 pm

Azrael wrote:3. All of my friends and I thought Anakin turned way way too quickly to the dark side, highly unbelievable. I mean, you spend basically 15-20 years training with the Jedis and in a couple days you become evil, get real.

I thought the way he turned was well done. I mean, even in the scene where he turns on the Jedi, he starts off supporting them. He goes to keep Mace from killing the emperor, but he wants him punished because he's a Sith. The fact that killing the emperor would've been against the very code he's dedicated himself to, and Mace didn't want to listen to it coupled well with the emperor having told him earlier that the Jedi and the Sith are more alike than he thinks. Throw in Mace's final line to Anikan "He's too dangerous to be kept alive." which is nearly if not identical to what the emperor said about Dukoo.

It seemed to me, Anikan wouldn't have turned if Mace had been willing to just apprehend the emperor. And it was his willingness to betray his own Jedi way that they'd taught Anikan and through his actions making it really seem to anikan that there was no difference that pushed him over to the dark side.

Even still it had some very nice touches, as he a) didn't go completely evil and kill Mace. b) his moment of hesitation at the academy was the final touch in showing his reluctance towards being evil.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Sat May 28, 2005 4:04 pm

I finally got to see it. A couple of thoughts stand out. First, this is definitely the best of the new batch of movies. Plenty of eye candy and good fight scenes. I loved that R2 got to get his groove on in this film too.

Now the other side of it for me. Azrael, couldn't agree with you more on the whole flipping to the other side thing. They should have developed that so much more. It just went way to fast. Within 4 times of hanging out with the Senator, he turned. Didn't work for me.

Also, while it was better than the other 2, IMO, it's still no where near what the first 3 were. Lucas just didn't spend the time to develop the characters, tighten the dialogue or direct the actors. It's sad to watch Christiansen's (sp?), Portman's and McGregor's meandering acting through the movie. They are a talented trio who's screen presence is wasted.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:41 pm

anakin had a bit of a mean streak in him starting in the attack of the clones..so i dont think his turning evil in the third happened too fast. remember in the second one when he killed all the women and children sandpeople and kept talking about his hate for things... and also his questioning obi wan and thinking he was more powerful than the other jedi. the only time i didnt see him going down that path was in teh first one before he started his jedi training.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Sat May 28, 2005 10:21 pm

the thing i didnt like about anakin turning was if he was so concerned about the Jedi and the Jedi Code when he attacked Mace Windu(as he said he was)to stop him from killing Palpatine then why did he immediately turn to the dark side? i know he had been heading that way the whole time but it seemed like he did a complete 180 in about 5.6 seconds, i mean one minute Mace isnt moral enough for him and the next minute hes on his knees accepting the name Darth Vader...
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Sat May 28, 2005 10:26 pm

myintrotoletyouknow wrote:the thing i didnt like about anakin turning was if he was so concerned about the Jedi and the Jedi Code when he attacked Mace Windu(as he said he was)to stop him from killing Palpatine then why did he immediately turn to the dark side? i know he had been heading that way the whole time but it seemed like he did a complete 180 in about 5.6 seconds, i mean one minute Mace isnt moral enough for him and the next minute hes on his knees accepting the name Darth Vader...

Bingo! That's exactly what I was referring to.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:49 pm

it seemed like he contemplated the whole thing though when mace sent him back to the temple. he sat there looking out the window for a while crying and then he went and killed mace. i think it was thought out.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Mon May 30, 2005 2:19 pm

I finally saw it on Saturday. I need to see it again. I missed most of the action. Quick explaination.

My wife's step dad came up from Oregon for the lonf weekend. He had explained that he wanted to see it when he came up. I had heard that the theater about 1/2 east of here was showing SWIII in DLP digital. So I thought what a great was to see the movie. I purchased tickets on-line for a 1:30 showing. He then went to see an old friend of his about 15 minutes south of hear. I explained that I wanted to leave the house at 12:45 so we could pick a good seat. He called at 12:50 saying he was just leaving his friends house. We got into the theater just as the "Star Wars" logo was scrolling across the screen. I didn't get to read any of the opening paragraphs that always open a Star Wars movie. We can't see anything cause it is so dark. Finally the fight scene starts and I stand up in the isle to see if I can see any open seats (heard lots of cussing at us). The only seats were in the front row. I could not focus on the action scenes. At first I was thinking no way can I watch a movie like this, but when there wasn't any action the movie was fine. Deffenitly have to see it again, this time I will get there 1/2 early so I can sit in the back.

Anyway, great movie. Best out of I - III. Liked the tie in to IV - VI. Wasn't to critical of the acting, after all I'm a Star Trek fan, and we all know there is no acting in Star Trek. ;-7 I too thought it was a little cheezey the way Padme's character dies, broken heart?????? :-P I didn't think Anikain turned to easy to the drak side, this had been a gradual thing happening in SWII. The hole Mace Widu and the Emporer scene was just the straw that broke the camels back for Anikain.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:26 pm

yeah i was worried about crowds when i went too. i ended up going to the last showing of the day on a tuesday night (10:20 pm) and there were maybe 15-20 people in the whole theatre. it was great! :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk