Can I improve my speed? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Can I improve my speed?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can I improve my speed?

Postby WIDE_RECEIVER_#7 » Sun May 22, 2005 8:03 am

Hello, I haven't been here for a while but I just would like to say that after i took a physical my doctor said that I maybe from 6 to 6.4 ft with skinny frame like 180-200 lbs kind of like Randy Mosses so hearing that I just want to know if it is possible to increase my speed as I grow. Currently Im 14 and my 40 dash time is 5 seconds do you think I can bring it down to 4.4 as and keep exerises with these things I just bought?

http://www.speedtrainers.com/mainframe.htm

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... Id=1210227

Shoudl they help me if I practice hard?
WIDE_RECEIVER_#7
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dirt Bag » Sun May 22, 2005 9:10 am

ooooo man its you again....didnt we bust you last time you posted crap like this saying you wanted to be a WR like T.O. You claimed to be russian but couldnt read russian....here ill dig out the old topic

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun May 22, 2005 9:43 am

I know that the product on teh second link works well. SOme basketball players at my school use them during practice and they can jump a lot higher now.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun May 22, 2005 10:27 am

You are going to need to pick a new number if you want to be a WR :-D
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby vdragon78 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:54 am

i speak russian. And I wouldn't be able to answer the questions that you guys posted in the other thread... Literal translation from English to Russian doesn't work very well.

anyway -- WR -- I assume you're about 12... Join a league or your school team. Just play the game and practice. Your coaches should be able to guide you into weight and speed training when you are ready for it.
vdragon78
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WIDE_RECEIVER_#7 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:09 am

Now Im 14 and will be going to HS next year
WIDE_RECEIVER_#7
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: Can I improve my speed?

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun May 22, 2005 12:23 pm

WIDE_RECEIVER_#7 wrote:Currently Im 14 and my 40 dash time is 5 seconds do you think I can bring it down to 4.4 as and keep exerises with these things I just bought?

No. Practice and train all you want, the chances of you being able to run a legit 4.4 are 1 in 100,000. Do you have any idea how many people can actually run a 4.4?
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun May 22, 2005 5:48 pm

funny thing is i was just thinking about where this guy had been all this time. :-) :*)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Mon May 23, 2005 12:20 am

As someone who ran a 4.6 in my senior high schol year, let me tell you this:

Unfortunately, the bulk of "speed" as we know it is mostly a gift you're either given or not given. You can control this and expand on it with training and stuff like that, but the chances of you improving dramatically through training are minimal, unless you are an out-of-shape slob.

Personally, I never put stock into these types of devices. Some people claim they work but my personal feeling is that they are just a marketing ploy which looks good when advertized (stuff like "Bow-Flex", for example). The best training to increase cardiovascular endurance and speed is good old plain running. Try something like going on the treadmill and running for 60 seconds, then slowing to a jog for 60 seconds and do it 20 times. As your body gets more comfortable, play around with it, increase the length, etc... to put more demand on your body.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tyr » Mon May 23, 2005 11:12 am

As far as I know about this, which I admit is limited, they do indeed work. You're adding weight to critical muscles that do effect your speed and leg strength. While you may never see a dramatic increase in your top speed, if you constantly run and train with leg/foot weights, your initial burst should increase dramatically, and you will most likely see small gains in top speed.

If you train hard, you can increase your speed. Who knows if you'll ever have TO or Moss type speed, but if you train as hard as you can, you'll still be bettering yourself and giving yourself the ability to play and compete at a higher level.. and that's what really counts in a competitive sport.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to General Talk