NC test makers screw up football question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

NC test makers screw up football question

Moderator: Football Moderators

NC test makers screw up football question

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue May 24, 2005 6:32 am

This is what happens when you let a woman named "Mildred" write up a test question about football. :-B

AP via Yahoo! News wrote:RALEIGH, N.C. - The state's test writers tried to come up with a math question about football and ended up with a fumble.

On an end-of-grade test this month, seventh-graders had to calculate the average gain for a team on the game's first six plays. But the team did not gain 10 yards on the first four plays and would have lost possession before a fifth and sixth play.

The team opened with a 6-yard loss, a 3-yard gain and a 2-yard loss, which would have made it fourth down with 15 yards to go for a first down. The team's fourth play was just a 7-yard gain, yet it maintained possession for a 12-yard gain and a 4-yard gain on two additional plays.

"Whoever wrote it didn't think it through," said Gene Daniels, athletics director of Salem Middle School in Apex.

Mildred Bazemore, chief of the state Department of Public Instruction's test development section, said the question makes sense mathematically and was reviewed thoroughly.

"It has nothing to do with football," Bazemore said. "It has to do with the mathematical concepts that you're studying."
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NC test makers screw up football question

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue May 24, 2005 7:04 am

Mercer Boy wrote:"It has nothing to do with football,"

That is the funniest part. It has everything to do with football. It was a football scenario. If it was strictly a mathematical scenario, then just ask whats the average of the numbers or whatever. Haha. :-)
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue May 24, 2005 7:33 am

Figures something like this would happen in my home city :-D

People around here are more college basketball people than football people...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue May 24, 2005 7:45 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:Figures something like this would happen in my home city :-D

People around here are more college basketball people than football people...

I was wondering why they didn't make it a scoring average type question when I read this too...Guess they wanted to make it tricky! It might have really been tough if they made it a hockey question. That 4th period may have thrown a lot of kids off. :-)
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:51 am

Man, you know some kids are furious that the oblivous director probably marked wrong everyone with common sense who wrote "There was a turn over on downs after 4th down, therefore they didn't have a 5th and 6th play" or something like that.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DUKE » Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am

I would've been the smart-assed kid who called it out and said it was flawed :-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Re: NC test makers screw up football question

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue May 24, 2005 12:11 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
"It has nothing to do with football," Bazemore said. "It has to do with the mathematical concepts that you're studying."

What a stupid comment. The point of having story problems is to show application of math to the real world. The story problem therefore has to make sense, which this one does not.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deftdelivery » Tue May 24, 2005 2:39 pm

One more reason Math will have absolutely NOTHING to do with my career.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue May 24, 2005 4:07 pm

I'm not surprised. these are old people thinking they know something about a sport.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue May 24, 2005 6:07 pm

DUKE wrote:I would've been the smart-assed kid who called it out and said it was flawed :-D

ahha me too man ;-D B-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk