That's good eatin' - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

That's good eatin'

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Calyxes » Wed May 25, 2005 10:20 am

That fish could feed 20 or more people O:-)
I do wonder how he keep it alive. I do not know of any live wells that big. I would have had a mess in my pants when I seen that fish coming to the surface of the water!
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:36 am

Well, chances are, he was not even able to get the thing out of the water.... I mean, if you are fishing a river, you're prolly not in a very big boat.... The guy even said the fish was dragging the boat.... In a fairly small boat it's going to be damn near impossible to pull that thing out of the water.... I mean, it's not like he would have an 80 gallon net handy.... Chances are, he reeled the thing up to the boat, got a good look at the size of it, and then headed for shore with the fish on the line... We do this with sharks, when we catch them off the pier... Occaisionally you'll catch one too big to reel up out of the water, so you just walk it back to the shore line in the water, til you can get it up onto the beach..... I imagine he did something similar with this fish.... And because it never left the water, it'd be fairly easy to keep alive until you managed to scrounge up a container big enough to put it in....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:55 am

Ever hear of a Mekong Giant Catfish? They're extremely endangered but can easily top 600 pounds....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 pm

you call that a fish!?

these are fish!
(430 Pound Halibut)

(470 Pound Sturgeon)

A guy from Illinois thinking that a half hour fight is a long one? Typical. :-P
They outta do some fishing up in the U.P., or Alaska.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DUKE » Wed May 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Wow, and I just caught a crappie Sunday that I considered big
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby hayesb26 » Wed May 25, 2005 1:13 pm

DUKE wrote:Wow, and I just caught a crappie Sunday that I considered big

I hear that!

That fish is huge! I just caught a nice trout on Saturday that took me a while to reel in, and I was quite proud of myself. Cannot even imagine trying to reel that baby in.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:05 pm

Lushcrush wrote:It would be hard to keep one of those alive ... I imagine they would chain it to the boat dock until they find a cattle tank to put in the back of a truck, fill it up and take off.

Catfish are pretty resilient fish. I've had a catfish in one of those fish mesh trap things along with a couple bass and trout and tied them up to my boat overnight to keep them fresh. All the trout and bass were dead in the morning, but the catfish was like an aquarium fish in there. When I took him out to put him on ice for the ride home, I had to hit him with the metal rod like 10 times before he stopped moving. My ex-wife only took me 3 swings!

You could probably hit that record catfish with a metal baseball bat until you got tired and he would still be alive.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby DUKE » Wed May 25, 2005 2:10 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:It would be hard to keep one of those alive ... I imagine they would chain it to the boat dock until they find a cattle tank to put in the back of a truck, fill it up and take off.

Catfish are pretty resilient fish. I've had a catfish in one of those fish mesh trap things along with a couple bass and trout and tied them up to my boat overnight to keep them fresh. All the trout and bass were dead in the morning, but the catfish was like an aquarium fish in there. When I took him out to put him on ice for the ride home, I had to hit him with the metal rod like 10 times before he stopped moving. My ex-wife only took me 3 swings!

You could probably hit that record catfish with a metal baseball bat until you got tired and he would still be alive.

LOL :-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Atog » Wed May 25, 2005 2:27 pm

DUKE wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

LOL :-D

i had an uncle who nailed a catfish to a board out of the water, came back a while later, and it was just dying then. Those things are tanks.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 pm

I saw this thing on the news this morning, freaking huge!

Reminds me of a story a few years back when some guy in Mississippi or one of those "M" states actually wrestled a 5 foot catfish ashore. Fish and Game made him throw it back though since it wasn't caught legally if I remember right.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk