The state of sports. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The state of sports.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu May 26, 2005 10:42 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
Strikes have little to nothing to do with popularity of the sport and how many fans there are

Speaking only for myself, I've been through several baseball strikes and combined with the steroid problem and the overall slow pace of the game I've pretty much had it with MLB. When I was a kid and even in college I loved baseball but MLB has dug it's own grave as far as I'm concerned.

It's still my favorite sport, and with the whole steroid hearings and stuff I think it can be cleaned up more. The Red Sux winning last year kind of pulled it up for the public a little bit more, but it still needs a couple more of those McGwire/Sosa Summer of '98 type years to cover up all of the steroid talks.

As far as things like strikes go, I like many others will tend to say that it's complete bullcrap that pro athletes make multi-million dollars to have fun and be in the spotlight, doesn't seem like a bad job to me, so why complain?
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Thu May 26, 2005 11:00 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:As far as things like strikes go, I like many others will tend to say that it's complete bullcrap that pro athletes make multi-million dollars to have fun and be in the spotlight, doesn't seem like a bad job to me, so why complain?

Yet us taxpayers still have to pay billions of dollars for new stadiums. :-t

We also have to take a loan out to take our family to any game. :-#

Time for pro athletes to take a pay cut for the fans. :-)
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 pm

SeaWolf wrote:Time for pro athletes to take a pay cut for the fans. :-)

It's not even that, it's just that they should stop whining about new contracts and the amount of money they make, there are some cases where it's deserved but with guys like Latrell Sprewell, just give me a break. I'm still disgusted that Sprewell said he needed to put food on the table. He's already an overpayed lump of crap, he can't even play anymore and he's closing in on 40, why should anyone pay him more?
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaWolf » Fri May 27, 2005 8:55 am

kanezfan11 wrote:

It's not even that, it's just that they should stop whining about new contracts and the amount of money they make, there are some cases where it's deserved but with guys like Latrell Sprewell, just give me a break. I'm still disgusted that Sprewell said he needed to put food on the table. He's already an overpayed lump of crap, he can't even play anymore and he's closing in on 40, why should anyone pay him more?

Agreed 100%. Spreewell should not been even playing. If I ever put a choke hold on my boss I would have been fired right on the spot.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:18 pm

Tiki wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:Strikes have little to nothing to do with popularity of the sport and how many fans there are, if the players and owners cant agree on something, its gonna happen, whether theres 1 fan or 1 billion.
The more fans the more money, the more money, the more happy players and owners ;-D

Not so. The more fans the more money yes, but the more money that comes in, the more money that the players and owners expect. Often more money can complicate things, and often not enough can as well. It all depends on the kind of people that running things.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby airraid81 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:21 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:It's still my favorite sport, and with the whole steroid hearings and stuff I think it can be cleaned up more. The Red Sux winning last year kind of pulled it up for the public a little bit more, but it still needs a couple more of those McGwire/Sosa Summer of '98 type years to cover up all of the steroid talks.

If the MLB has more McGwire/Sosa crap, then the public would see that there was still a huge steroid problem. It's a catch-22. Fans like home runs and offense, but they don't like steroid controversy.
NFL=No Fun Leauge
NFL=No Farting League
NFL=Nude Freaks League
NFL=Nothing For Losers
NFL=Non-Fierce Lions (Det)
NFL=Nat'l Frog League
Him name is Hopkin Green, where is he?!
airraid81
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby airraid81 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:26 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:

Pro athletes will continue doing whatever the hell they want and getting paid a ton because everyone loves sports and because they have unique tallents. Sure you would be fired if you choked your boss, but there are a lot more people who can do your job than people who can score 15+ PPG in the NBA. Also, the NBA, as with most sports, is very popular. Us sports fans should really stop complaining about the bitches who play the sports we love. We have the opportunity to keep their pay down by not watching and supporting the leagues, but we don't because we love sports.
NFL=No Fun Leauge
NFL=No Farting League
NFL=Nude Freaks League
NFL=Nothing For Losers
NFL=Nat'l Frog League
airraid81
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri May 27, 2005 5:52 pm

airraid81 wrote:
kanezfan11 wrote:

Pro athletes will continue doing whatever the hell they want and getting paid a ton because everyone loves sports and because they have unique tallents. Sure you would be fired if you choked your boss, but there are a lot more people who can do your job than people who can score 15+ PPG in the NBA. Also, the NBA, as with most sports, is very popular. Us sports fans should really stop complaining about the bitches who play the sports we love. We have the opportunity to keep their pay down by not watching and supporting the leagues, but we don't because we love sports.

We don't love the sports for the ignorant people who think they can do whatever the hell they want because they're famous and pro athletes. You love sports for the same reason some (becoming smaller and smaller) of the guys coming in do, for the love of the game. Do you think you'd ever see a guy like Barry Bonds lunge into the stands and break his pretty little face up like Derek Jeter did in a regular season game? Hell no, he wouldn't even dive for a ball.

Why should we stop complaining as long as holdouts, strikes, etc. can still go on. The players are taking advantage of us and just keep on jacking up the prices of their salaries. There are people with much tougher jobs that break their asses every day just to barely feed their families while a guy like Allan Houston can just sit his ass on the bench the full year with a little wimp injury and still get payed 10 million.

You're right about the catch-22 steroid/homer thing though. If they enforced a stricter rule on it before, fans wouldn't be as accustomed to guys hitting 50+ every year, and it wouldn't be a problem now. It's hindsight and can't be fixed now, but it's still enjoyable as long as the athletes think clearly.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Postby airraid81 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:36 pm

I'm not trying to sympathize with the players, but they are just doing what most people would do in their situation. You say you wouldn't, but if you were that good and had the chance to make that much money, there's a good chance, you would take it. They are just taking what we are giving them. Sure, we could stop going to the games, but... hell no, noone would ever do that.

Speaking of bitch ass players, TO might finally get what he deserves. From what I've heard, the Eagles won't trade him or give him a new contract. Now if this retard wants to sit out, then he'll just be sitting out the rest of his career.
NFL=No Fun Leauge
NFL=No Farting League
NFL=Nude Freaks League
NFL=Nothing For Losers
NFL=Nat'l Frog League
airraid81
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous