Landscaping tips.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Landscaping tips..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Landscaping tips..

Postby awwchrist » Fri May 27, 2005 8:32 pm

We're looking at making our backyard functional (finally!). Part of it is getting us some space to set up the barbecue/patio furniture.

I'd love some professional suggestions on the pros and cons of decking vs pavers vs concrete. Pm'ing would be fine.

If anyone knows some good forums for info, that would be great too.

I know someone out there has their general contractors license or is a landscaping consultant.

Eh?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri May 27, 2005 8:37 pm

try both the Home Depot and Lowes websites I believe they both have a ask the experts section.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby MadScott » Sat May 28, 2005 3:04 pm

My cousin recently worked with pavers and the one thing that I learned there was that it was almost the same price as concrete so do your homework.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Sat May 28, 2005 5:57 pm

I'm a concrete man. Decks are nice but even if you're good you gotta seal them every three years. Thats a lot of work compared to just washing your concrete down with a hoze end sprayer whenever you feel like it.
Of course if it is a raised deck, its hard to do that with concrete. We need to see a print ... :-b
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Sun May 29, 2005 1:07 am

As lush said, decks are nice but they are a pain in the ass to keep in top condition. We re-seal our deck every 2 yrs at a cost of $600.00 ive done it myself before but its a hassle.

I would go for some kind of stone, looks nice and is very durable.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sun May 29, 2005 1:15 am

I just did my landscaping in the front yard. Actually used what's called "austin stone"....

Turned out nice. About to start on the patio, and have all kinds of thoughts on the subject if you are still looking for advice or opinions..I am leaning toward concrete myself..You can stain it or raised pebble it too now. Would look very nice in my opinion.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sun May 29, 2005 1:35 am

thanks for the responses)

I'm leaning towards concrete myself.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Sun May 29, 2005 2:04 am

From experience in landscaping, unless you're going to have it raised off the ground, the best option is easily concrete. It's low-maintenance and is more durable than wood. Re-sealing and eventually replacing wood is a major pain in the ass.

Now if you're looking for raised deck options, for the northwest (where we are :-D ), I would recommend fiberglass. It's basically the low-maintenance version for a raised deck, since concrete is very difficult to do raised up. We inherited a wood deck when we moved to where we are now, and after trying to maintain it, we just got rid of the whole thing and put in fiberglass. It's not as pretty as wood, but it doesn't have the upkeep cost either. The one downside is that when it gets hot, it really gets hot.........
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lushcrush » Sun May 29, 2005 7:15 am

awwchrist wrote:thanks for the responses)

I'm leaning towards concrete myself.

Patterned (stamped) and /or stained concrete is really cool if you want something a little different. ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Sun May 29, 2005 1:14 pm

When we bought our current house we decided to have a nice wood deck. I can't stand having to restain the deck, and also the bees love it under the deck. :-# The wife and I are kicking around the idea of having the deck torn out and pouring a patio.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk