Landscaping tips.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Landscaping tips..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby hayesb26 » Sun May 29, 2005 1:35 pm

Lushcrush wrote:
awwchrist wrote:thanks for the responses)

I'm leaning towards concrete myself.

Patterned (stamped) and /or stained concrete is really cool if you want something a little different. ;-D

;-D

My parents recently had a concrete patio put in outside their house as a deck as well as a patio for the grill and pool area.

They had it poured and shaped a bit to make it look like placed rocks, and it is very nice looking :-) I'd entirely recommend something like that if you don't want just plain concrete.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:29 pm

How bout a pool and a hot ala MTV Cribs ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:56 pm

If you go with decking there is a product that is real nice but a little more expensive. I do not recall the name off hand but my dad had it put in for his deck. It is a polymer/wood based product. You never have to reseal it or refinish it. It looks like wood but it does not fade or chip. If you have the money it is they way to go.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kanezfan11 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:08 pm

Calyxes wrote:If you go with decking there is a product that is real nice but a little more expensive. I do not recall the name off hand but my dad had it put in for his deck. It is a polymer/wood based product. You never have to reseal it or refinish it. It looks like wood but it does not fade or chip. If you have the money it is they way to go.

Yeah, I sent aww a PM about it, not sure if he got it. Are you thinking about Trex?
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:24 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:
Calyxes wrote:If you go with decking there is a product that is real nice but a little more expensive. I do not recall the name off hand but my dad had it put in for his deck. It is a polymer/wood based product. You never have to reseal it or refinish it. It looks like wood but it does not fade or chip. If you have the money it is they way to go.

Yeah, I sent aww a PM about it, not sure if he got it. Are you thinking about Trex?

he probably was. My dad used trex for our deck, and it works like a charm. I highly recommend it!
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Landscaping tips..

Postby LT Blue Colt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:52 pm

awwchrist wrote:We're looking at making our backyard functional (finally!). Part of it is getting us some space to set up the barbecue/patio furniture.

I'd love some professional suggestions on the pros and cons of decking vs pavers vs concrete. Pm'ing would be fine.

If anyone knows some good forums for info, that would be great too.

I know someone out there has their general contractors license or is a landscaping consultant.

Eh?

Did you actually get your wife to agree with you on making something functional? Good job man. That's like one of the hardest things in the world to do. Usually the only thing on a woman's mind is, "Is it going to be pretty?" You're lucky!

O.K. back on subject. Yeah, it's hard to tell the best option without seeing your project, but that's O.K. Concrete's my life, and there are many options you can do if you want different looks. Everyone here's told you most of them. The stamped look of stones, brick, or wood. Or you could buy colored concrete. One that I find very sharp is a wood stamped concrete with brown color. The stamps even leave behind the nails, which when touched up with some black concrete paint, make the whole project look far from a normal slab. Now if you need a raised concrete slab, I would have to disagree, and say it is a project, but plenty easy. A footing, how ever many courses of blocks you need, a little fill, and you're all set for whatever type slab you want.

Now Trex is the ultimate system when considering a wood deck. Too bad you didn't start this project last summer though. I'm not sure about your area, but over here it's doubled in price just since last year! 8-o No joke! And cedar is a pain in the butt, with recoating it every few years, but I would gladly take it over wolmanized lumber. I just don't like the fact of have all that arsenic around my family and me. A chemist buddy of mine was working on a project up at Mich Tech with a company to make copper carbonate to help the lumber industries efforts in making a safe wolmanized lumber, but that was about 2 years ago, and he says it isn't looking good. Mainly due to the fact copper carbonate costs about twice the amount of copper dioxide, which is what they use now.

And pavers are nice, but I'll tell ya right now they shift. Eventually. And there's nothing you can do about it. It's inevidable. And if you're in a cold area that gets frost in the ground, it's just going to speed up the process that much more. But, hey man, I hope things work out great for ya, and good luck.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:57 pm

Now THAT's a proper response.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous