Danica Patrick... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Danica Patrick...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon May 30, 2005 1:38 pm

Slingblade wrote:
Manja wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Thank god she didn't win, or else all we would have heard on National news and sports channels was all that girl power garbage they like to put on when Annika Sorenstam tries to play on the PGA Tour. Arggh, its so cliched.

I agree... If the women want to play on the PGA, the men should be allowed to play on the WPGA.

WPGA? It's LPGA. And what's wrong with women winning? Do I smell a sexist?

No, its not sexist. Its because the media will hype it up to ridiculous proportions. Did you see how much coverage she got for getting 4TH PLACE? Imagine if she'd won? She'd be called a bigger hero than Neil Armstrong, have a ticker tape parade, and then the President would declare her Supreme Commander of the Universe.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:15 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Slingblade wrote:
Manja wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Thank god she didn't win, or else all we would have heard on National news and sports channels was all that girl power garbage they like to put on when Annika Sorenstam tries to play on the PGA Tour. Arggh, its so cliched.

I agree... If the women want to play on the PGA, the men should be allowed to play on the WPGA.

No, its not sexist. Its because the media will hype it up to ridiculous proportions. Did you see how much coverage she got for getting 4TH PLACE? Imagine if she'd won? She'd be called a bigger hero than Neil Armstrong, have a ticker tape parade, and then the President would declare her Supreme Commander of the Universe.

man, are you actually complaining about somthing that involves danica patrick?! let the friken media hype her all day, ill watch.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hayesb26 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:19 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Slingblade wrote:
Manja wrote:

Yup. Ladies and Gentlemen, we've got a sexist.

The reason that this gets all the media attention is because for ever women have been portrayed as the weaker sex when it comes to sports (as well as most other things, but lets not get into that). When they are, for the first time, competing with and in some cases having success against the men that everyone says they cannot play against, it's worthy of media attention.

I give major props to people like Danica Patrick who go up against the men, even if she hadn't had the success of finishing fourth. If it weren't for people like you it wouldn't be made into such a huge deal in the first place...
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon May 30, 2005 3:12 pm

Dan Wheldon won the race and has now won 4 of the first 5 IRL events this season which is amazing for any type of racing.

Sweetness, you are right in saying that open wheeled racing is completely different than NASCAR.

Hayes, I don't think our man Sweetness is trying to be sexist at all. He's right, the media has blown this to kingdom come with coverage. They should be complementing a rookie driver on such a tremendous finish, not a female driver. That's were the rub comes in for me.

Apparently Robby Gordon has a problem with Patrick:

Gordon Says Patrick Has an Unfair Edge
From Associated Press

Robby Gordon accused Danica Patrick of having an unfair advantage in the Indianapolis 500 and said Saturday he would not compete in the race again unless the field was equalized.

Gordon, a former open-wheel driver now in NASCAR, contends that Patrick is at an advantage over the rest of the competitors because she only weighs 100 pounds. Because all the cars weigh the same, Patrick's is lighter on the track.

"The lighter the car, the faster it goes," said Gordon from Concord, N.C., where he is preparing for today's Coca-Cola 600. "Do the math. Put her in the car at her weight, then put me or Tony Stewart in the car at 200 pounds and our car is at least 100 pounds heavier.

"I won't race against her until the IRL does something to take that advantage away."

The Indy Racing League does not consider the weight of the driver in its race specifications. The car has to weigh at least 1,525 pounds before the fuel and driver are added, and teams in Indy have estimated that Patrick will gain close to 1 mph in speed because of her small stature.

Although her rivals in today's race have said she doesn't have a huge advantage, pole-sitter Tony Kanaan told reporters he would like the IRL to look into the issue.

"Right off the bat, a guy my size is spotting her 105 pounds," Gordon said. "That's the reason she's so much faster."

Gordon never planned to race in the Indy 500 this season, choosing instead to focus on his job as owner of a NASCAR team. Gordon had run in the 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 on the same day the past four years.
Last edited by MadScott on Tue May 31, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon May 30, 2005 3:35 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:man, are you actually complaining about somthing that involves danica patrick?! let the friken media hype her all day, ill watch.

I guess she's an OK driver but certainly not great looking...average at best.

That being said...I'd hit it.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon May 30, 2005 3:44 pm

average? riiiiight...
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon May 30, 2005 3:50 pm

hayesb26 wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:
Slingblade wrote:
Manja wrote:

Yup. Ladies and Gentlemen, we've got a sexist.

The reason that this gets all the media attention is because for ever women have been portrayed as the weaker sex when it comes to sports (as well as most other things, but lets not get into that). When they are, for the first time, competing with and in some cases having success against the men that everyone says they cannot play against, it's worthy of media attention.

I give major props to people like Danica Patrick who go up against the men, even if she hadn't had the success of finishing fourth. If it weren't for people like you it wouldn't be made into such a huge deal in the first place...

No, the person who won the friggin race is worthy of media attention. You were right, the only reason anyone cares is because she is a women. I could care less, but I'm already tired of seeing all this in the media. Ooooh, she got fourth! In a racing sport no one cares about? Jeez, move onto something else.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon May 30, 2005 4:13 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:average? riiiiight...

Amazing what an airbrush and make-up can do. ;-)

Average.

Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Mon May 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:average? riiiiight...

Amazing what an airbrush and make-up can do. ;-)

Average.

Amen to that! Thank goodness for hair extraction too! Here's another pic of her before those two.

I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon May 30, 2005 4:59 pm

well im not saying shes a 10 but shes top tier when it comes to female athletes, because there are only like 3 hot athletes. but to keep posting bad pictures of her is kind of unjust, considering girls do have more than faces.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk