Starting a keeper league, want some input. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Starting a keeper league, want some input.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Tue May 31, 2005 5:53 pm

Okay that makes sense. Now what about setting a number of years that you can keep a guy? Do you normally set a 3 year max say? If it's 3 years, would you lose the draft picking position for those 3 years? I'd assume so but am not sure.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:13 pm

MadScott wrote:Okay that makes sense. Now what about setting a number of years that you can keep a guy? Do you normally set a 3 year max say? If it's 3 years, would you lose the draft picking position for those 3 years? I'd assume so but am not sure.

We can keep the same player a maximum of 3 times... So that means he can be kept on your squad for a total of four years... After that they are added to the un-keepable player list for that year's draft....

If you trade for a player, he comes to you with his current "contract." That is to say, if the guy before you kept him twice, already, then you can only keep him 1 more time before he goes back into the pool.....

Once a player hits the FA market, his contract is erased, and he can, again, be kept 3 more times....

So, for example, last year Deshaun Foster was dropped to the wire, even though he was kept from the previous year.... Another team picked him up the last week of the season, so that team gets to keep him 3 times if they want to give up the draft picks to do so.... If they had traded for him, then they would have only gotten to keep him 2 more times, because he had already been kept once....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:52 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
MadScott wrote:I got you now Plindsey. But you guys can keep a vet drafted in any round correct?

You cannot keep anyone drafted in the first two rounds.... This keeps the uber-studs from being kept by a single team their entire career.... It also adds strategy for the guys who pick late in the second, because you can pass on a guy in the second round, and hope to pick him up in the early third which will make him keepable... For example, last year Daunte Culpepper dropped into the early third round because the guys that picked late in the second passed on him hoping to pick him up early in the third... The guy with 2.10 and 3.01 picked him up with his 3.01 pick, which means he gets to keep him this year....

The guys which are not keepable for the '05 draft are:

LT2, Priest, SA, Ahman, Deuce, Portis, Edge, Jamal, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Dom Davis, Fred Taylor, Rudi Johnson, Kevan Barlow, Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning, Michael Bennett, Brian Westbrook, Stephen Davis...

Any other vets you want to keep costs you your 3rd pick for one, your 3rd and 4th for two, or your 3rd, 4th, and 5th for three...

Rookies cost you your 6th pick for one or your 6th and 7th for two....

This adds a lot of elements of strategy to the game.... For example, one guy has Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne... Now, he might think twice about giving up his 3rd pick to keep either of these guys because his 3rd is 3.01, and odds are, neither of these guys is really worth that.... But, his 4th pick is 4.10, and both of those guys are worth WAY more then 4.10 in our league.... So, he's going to end up giving up 3.01 and 4.10 to keep Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne.... Which is a good move on his part....

Additionally, he's going to end up keeping Larry Fitzgerald, which costs him his 6th round pick (6.10)....

So his keepers are:

Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and Larry Fitz.... His draft picks are 1.01, 2.10, 5.01, 7.01, 8.10, 9.01, etc....

So, chances are he'll end up with something like:

LT2, LaMont Jordan, Wayne, Smith, Fitz, and have the 5.01 to grab the best available QB... (C-Pepp, McNabb, Bulger, Green, Delhomme, and Vick are being kept)

So, automatically this guy goes from finishing last place last year to being a real contender this year.....

I'm curious, where does this list come from? Personally, I'd have no problem if someone wanted to keep a Stephen Davis, Kevan Barlow or a Fred Taylor...it kind of makes no sense to me. Who decides who is and isn't "keeper material"?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby thechill » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:36 am

First I would start the league from this year. No keepers from last years roster.

We keep up to 2 players for a total of 3 years. It used to be 3 keepers until last year. The league agreed that 30 key players being keep takes to many players out of the draft.

What ever round you picked your keeper this year is the draft pick you lose next year. Then the next 2 years it drops a spot. If you get player X in round 10, next year you lose pick 10, the year after is pick 9, the year after is pick 8. Then they go back to FA. I like this style because it can reward you on a good draft. Last year I grabbed Gates in rd 14 so this year I get to keep him for pick 14. You have to factor in value as well when deciding your keepers. This sometimes allows top players to go back into the draft.

Setting up the order for the draft. Instead of just drawing out numbers to see where you draft. We still put the same numbers in the pot and draw, but you get to pick your spot in the draft order. For example: You pull number 1 out of the pot you can pick draft spots 1-10. I would love to get the #1 this year and take the 10th draft spot and keep Manning (for my 1st rd pick)and also get the first pick in Rd 2.

As far as any trade rules we didn't set anything up. My error on this one. We only had one trade that involved players that were on their 3rd year on the same roster so i guess I will have to let it go and they can keep them 3 years. A rule will get put into place this year. I like the suggestion earlier that states the contract stays with the player even if he changes teams. This way you don't have a lot of trades between 3rd year players of equal value just so they don't go back into FA.
thechill
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby montana2rice » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:21 am

Great posting Plindsey

I am using some of your keeper rules for my start up keeper league. I really like the idea of 1st and 2nd round players being unkeepable. I bet that really helps to cut down on orphaned teams.

Thanks for the info.
montana2rice
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:07 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
MadScott wrote:I got you now Plindsey. But you guys can keep a vet drafted in any round correct?

You cannot keep anyone drafted in the first two rounds.... This keeps the uber-studs from being kept by a single team their entire career.... It also adds strategy for the guys who pick late in the second, because you can pass on a guy in the second round, and hope to pick him up in the early third which will make him keepable... For example, last year Daunte Culpepper dropped into the early third round because the guys that picked late in the second passed on him hoping to pick him up early in the third... The guy with 2.10 and 3.01 picked him up with his 3.01 pick, which means he gets to keep him this year....

The guys which are not keepable for the '05 draft are:

LT2, Priest, SA, Ahman, Deuce, Portis, Edge, Jamal, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Dom Davis, Fred Taylor, Rudi Johnson, Kevan Barlow, Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning, Michael Bennett, Brian Westbrook, Stephen Davis...

Any other vets you want to keep costs you your 3rd pick for one, your 3rd and 4th for two, or your 3rd, 4th, and 5th for three...

Rookies cost you your 6th pick for one or your 6th and 7th for two....

This adds a lot of elements of strategy to the game.... For example, one guy has Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne... Now, he might think twice about giving up his 3rd pick to keep either of these guys because his 3rd is 3.01, and odds are, neither of these guys is really worth that.... But, his 4th pick is 4.10, and both of those guys are worth WAY more then 4.10 in our league.... So, he's going to end up giving up 3.01 and 4.10 to keep Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne.... Which is a good move on his part....

Additionally, he's going to end up keeping Larry Fitzgerald, which costs him his 6th round pick (6.10)....

So his keepers are:

Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and Larry Fitz.... His draft picks are 1.01, 2.10, 5.01, 7.01, 8.10, 9.01, etc....

So, chances are he'll end up with something like:

LT2, LaMont Jordan, Wayne, Smith, Fitz, and have the 5.01 to grab the best available QB... (C-Pepp, McNabb, Bulger, Green, Delhomme, and Vick are being kept)

So, automatically this guy goes from finishing last place last year to being a real contender this year.....

I'm curious, where does this list come from? Personally, I'd have no problem if someone wanted to keep a Stephen Davis, Kevan Barlow or a Fred Taylor...it kind of makes no sense to me. Who decides who is and isn't "keeper material"?

Where they are drafted the year before determines that.... You cannot keep anyone you drafted in the first two rounds....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:08 am

That's a good way to do it Plindsey as it will vary from year to year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:25 am

So talking with some of the guys in the league, they are only thinking about 2 keepers. Is it even worth it if we are doing only 2? I would think that we would want 3 at minimum.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:03 am

MadScott wrote:So talking with some of the guys in the league, they are only thinking about 2 keepers. Is it even worth it if we are doing only 2? I would think that we would want 3 at minimum.

2 keepers is nice because it lets you hold onto your studs, but still affords the chance for the teams without any real studs to pick up talent in the draft....

Another way to do that, and something I kinda like are leagues where you have to keep players from different positions.... If you're doing a 2 keeper league, think about putting that rule in effect.... It keeps people from stockpiling all the kick-ass RB's.....

Make it so your 2 keepers have to be at different positions....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby MadScott » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:04 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
MadScott wrote:So talking with some of the guys in the league, they are only thinking about 2 keepers. Is it even worth it if we are doing only 2? I would think that we would want 3 at minimum.

2 keepers is nice because it lets you hold onto your studs, but still affords the chance for the teams without any real studs to pick up talent in the draft....

Another way to do that, and something I kinda like are leagues where you have to keep players from different positions.... If you're doing a 2 keeper league, think about putting that rule in effect.... It keeps people from stockpiling all the kick-ass RB's.....

Make it so your 2 keepers have to be at different positions....

;-D Great call Plindsey! I was down on the 2 keeper deal but this does make sense. Some of the other owners were apprehensive about getting stuck with a bad team, but 2 keepers would aleviate that.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk