Russia warns US about weapons in space - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Russia warns US about weapons in space

Moderator: Football Moderators

Russia warns US about weapons in space

Postby Flockers » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:45 pm

Taking aim at the United States, Russia’s defense minister Thursday threatened retaliatory steps if any country puts weapons in space and said Moscow won’t negotiate controls over tactical nuclear arms with nations that deploy them abroad, Russian media reported.

advertisement

While he mentioned no country by name, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov’s comments reflected persistent wariness over U.S. intentions, despite arms control deals and increased cooperation between the Cold War foes since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

“Russia’s position on this question has not changed for decades: We are categorically against the militarization of space,” the Interfax news agency quoted Ivanov as saying during a visit to the Baikonur space facility in Kazakhstan.

“If some state begins to realize such plans, then we doubtless will take adequate retaliatory measures,” ITAR-Tass quoted Ivanov as saying.

The comments came as the Bush administration reviews the U.S. space policy doctrine. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said last month the policy review was not considering the militarization of space. But he said U.S. satellites must be protected against new threats that he said have emerged since Washington’s space doctrine was last reviewed in 1996.

'Star Wars'
Moscow’s concerns about space-based weapons go back to the Soviet-era space race and President Ronald Reagan’s 1980s plans for a “Star Wars” missile defense system.

In 2002, after the United States withdrew from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, China and Russia submitted a proposal for a new ban on weapons in outer space.

But the United States has said it sees no need for any new space arms control agreements. It is party to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which prohibits stationing weapons of mass destruction in space.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8073961/

I called it, Bush it gonna start a damn Nuclear Holocaust. See you guys in Canada!
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Posts: 4257
Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Russia warns US about weapons in space

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Flockers wrote:
Taking aim at the United States, Russia’s defense minister Thursday threatened retaliatory steps if any country puts weapons in space and said Moscow won’t negotiate controls over tactical nuclear arms with nations that deploy them abroad, Russian media reported.

advertisement

While he mentioned no country by name, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov’s comments reflected persistent wariness over U.S. intentions, despite arms control deals and increased cooperation between the Cold War foes since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

“Russia’s position on this question has not changed for decades: We are categorically against the militarization of space,” the Interfax news agency quoted Ivanov as saying during a visit to the Baikonur space facility in Kazakhstan.

“If some state begins to realize such plans, then we doubtless will take adequate retaliatory measures,” ITAR-Tass quoted Ivanov as saying.

The comments came as the Bush administration reviews the U.S. space policy doctrine. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said last month the policy review was not considering the militarization of space. But he said U.S. satellites must be protected against new threats that he said have emerged since Washington’s space doctrine was last reviewed in 1996.

'Star Wars'
Moscow’s concerns about space-based weapons go back to the Soviet-era space race and President Ronald Reagan’s 1980s plans for a “Star Wars” missile defense system.

In 2002, after the United States withdrew from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, China and Russia submitted a proposal for a new ban on weapons in outer space.

But the United States has said it sees no need for any new space arms control agreements. It is party to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which prohibits stationing weapons of mass destruction in space.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8073961/

I called it, Bush it gonna start a damn Nuclear Holocaust. See you guys in Canada!




Too bad too see, we can really just hope it it all threats!



Sorry Flock, but if any type of nuclear holocaust went down, Canada isn't gonna save you :-o
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4031
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: it's always march madness

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Cold War, take 2 :-b


Too bad Russia really doesn't have much authority anymore as an international superpower......
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 6358
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fighting in the shade...

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:03 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:Cold War, take 2 :-b


Too bad Russia really doesn't have much authority anymore as an international superpower......


Newsflash: Any country that has nuclear weapons has authority. Russia has the most next to us. They have authority.

I'm pretty sure that this is all just threats and reminders, but nonetheless, Bush is such a dumbass.
Image


The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 9483
Joined: 8 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the V-Nest

Postby Slingblade » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:30 pm

Geez, Russia is pathetic. The continuation of how it has always been in Russia...screw the common people, let's stir some shit up.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3174
Joined: 23 Sep 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 am

Ha, no country is going to use nukes. Its called mutually assurred destruction, and its what kept people from using nukes during the cold war. Though Russia is starting to move eerily closer to the old Soviet Union. But are we going to have weapons satellites? Because satellites with some sort of Destructo-ray would be pretty awesome. :-b
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4738
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AKA CubsFan7724

Postby zombiez » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:40 am

If we have the technology, we need to develop it, to hell with what any other country thinks
Image
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1633
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:54 am

Damn ruskies! Drink your Stoli and be happy Bush hasn't gotten to your side of the block yet. Do you really want to antagonize this maniac? He'll turn on you like a pit bull!
Last edited by Sixxgunn on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:48 am

zombiez wrote:If we have the technology, we need to develop it, to hell with what any other country thinks


I agree. If we do put a space defence system in place the threat from the commies errrr new republicans would be worthless. And why arent the dang ruskies bitching about Korea they are defying the entire world by developing nuclear weapons. :-P
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Russia warns US about weapons in space

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Flockers wrote:I called it, Bush it gonna start a damn Nuclear Holocaust. See you guys in Canada!


Please enlighten me, but what in God's name is a Nuclear Holocaust? A holocaust would imply mass genocide intentionally carried out, yet if there's a nuclear war we're all screwed, no genocide. Or were you just throwing the word in there for sensationalism?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:39 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact