Cafe June Player Rankings: RB's (Part 2 of 5) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe June Player Rankings: RB's (Part 2 of 5)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:58 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote: Take away those 500 yards and 5 TDs in two games and Lewis is only at 1500/9 TDs on 14 games.

and thats a bad thing :-?

That's about the same totals Rudi Johnson put up last year. I don't see anyone ranking him in the top5 RBs this season.

davidmarver wrote:
And if you remove Lewis' 2 200-yard games, which is completely ridiculous by the way, he still ends the season with 1500 yards and 9 TD...James' running line last season.

I think it's ridiculous to expect Lewis to replicate end of yearsnumbers that include multiple 200 yard games in the same season.

Main difference between Jamal Lewis and Edgerrin James?

Edge- 51 483 9.5 0
Jamal- 10 116 11.6 0

Guess what those numbers represent. More than 6 touchdowns...
Last edited by Kensat30 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:01 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote: Take away those 500 yards and 5 TDs in two games and Lewis is only at 1500/9 TDs on 14 games.

That's about the same totals Rudi Johnson put up last year. I don't see anyone ranking him in the top5 RBs this season.

Yeah, but you removed Jamal Lewis' best two games. I don't think there's a running back whose top two games last season you can remove who would stay in the top five.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:

did you see me rank him in the top 5?you sound like a broken record.
Last edited by deluxe_247 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:04 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:

Yeah, but you removed Jamal Lewis' best two games. I don't think there's a running back whose top two games last season you can remove who would stay in the top five.

I said in 14 games, figure he had two good games instead of 2 amazing games and his numbers look like 1700/10. Basically the same as Rudi Johnsons 1600/12 last year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:06 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:did you see me rank him in the top 5? you sound like a broken record.

No, you ranked him sixth. Although half of the other cafe rankers in this thread had him top5 or higher.

5.71 Jamal Lewis, BAL 8 8 5 5 5 6 3

Deluxe can you give me a stat projection for Jamal Lewis in 2005 that ranks him as the #6 RB? I would like to see a reasonable number projection that will place him at #6, then I will shut up. Do you see an increase in receiving yards? touchdowns? Or just another amazing rushing yardage season?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:24 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Deluxe can you give me a stat projection for Jamal Lewis in 2005 that ranks him as the #6 RB? I would like to see a reasonable number projection that will place him at #6, then I will shut up. Do you see an increase in receiving yards? touchdowns? Or just another amazing rushing yardage season?

i project him at around 1750 rushing yards, 300 receiving, 12-14 total tds.

is that high enough to make the 6th ranked RB?

jamal is the centerpiece of that offense. there is no doubt he will consistently be used game in and game out throughout the season. i believe that consistency is a huge factor when ranking fantasy players, if it wasnt, guys like brandon stokely who gets 200 yds 2 tds one game, then 15 yds no tds the next, would be ranked much higher. same with michael vick.

i dont see how you can discredit all the moves this team has made. the offense is much improved. the defense will dominate enough to keep the offense on the field.

id think if you were going to argue anyones rankings it would be mcgahee, who is also not as big of a pass catcher, yet has proven less..and is still ranked higher.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:

I said in 14 games, figure he had two good games instead of 2 amazing games and his numbers look like 1700/10. Basically the same as Rudi Johnsons 1600/12 last year.

So instead you randomly figure what YOU think he could do against them and base your opinion on that. To at least try to be fair, why not take away Rudi's two best games.

Rudi had 1538 yards, not 1600, when you round, you round to whats closest not just up. So, in 04 Rudi had 1538 yards total and 12 TDs.

Now take away Rudi's best 2 games last year: 1237 yards and 7 TDs. (I took out his two best in fantasy terms).

Now lets look at Lewis, his totals in 03, which you're comparing were: 2271 yards and 14 TDs. Take away his two best games and he's got 1750 yards and 10 TDs. So in your opinion if he had two "good" games he wouldnt have scored a single TD and would've gotten -50 yards? I'd love to see those projections.

So, do I want the RB who had 1750/10 in 14 games, or the one that had 1237/7 in 14. That's a 513 yard and 3 TD difference (pending your league settings it should be 43 or 69 point difference, a substantial amount), and Lewis lost a lot more by having his two best removed in this comparison.

Lewis is straight up a better RB and better fantasy RB than Rudi. In a league granting 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per TD scoring system, which is very standard, Rudi finishes 8th overall with his 1600/12 from last year. DD with 1776 yards and 14 TDs would've come in 5th amongst RBs. So, Jamal would presumably need 1800 total yards and 14 TDs to be top 5. That's not out of reach for a guy who in his last full season topped 2200 yards.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:38 pm

Well I've got Holmes and Lewis ranked 1st and 5th (with LT, McGahee, and Alexander 2-4) respectively and here's how I figure it.

No one questions Holmes is the No. 1 fantasy player IF HEALTHY? That's the whole issue with him, if healthy. While LJ may sub him a little more, it's not going to be near enough to put a dent in his fantasy value. So the whole key is just drafting Larry Johnson to handcuff to Holmes. He's the only must have handcuff and you can get him in the 6th round, which may appear expensive but really isn't.

Now Lewis. Between being suspended and having a sprained ankle, the guy basically ran for 970 yards (110 receiving) in 10 games with 7 TDs last year...or basically 15 traditional fantasy points per game with ZERO passing game. The Ravens were 31st in passing offense ahead of only the Bears, who basically played with a HS jayvee team on offense after Grossman got hurt.

By comparison, some other RB fantasy scorers.

Edge=16 per game
D. Davis=16.7
Barber=18.35 per game
Dillon=17 per game

He was pretty close to these 4 guys in pts last year, whom I have ranked 6-9, respectively.

As opposed to Holmes, SA, and LT, who averaged 24.6, 19.2, and 19.

McGahee averaged 17 per game last year but I think he's on the cusp of very big things so I personally rank him higher.

With Jamal being completely healthy this year and supposedly having a significant boost to the passing attack I think he's well worth a middle first round pick.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:43 pm

I just think it's kind of optimistic to rank someone with more yardage than this past years rushing leader. Not to mention matching career highs in receiving yardage and touchdowns.
I doubt Jamal Lewis ends up on any of my teams this year because I refuse to draft this guy in the early first round...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby A2theIzzo » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Lee suggs should be a little bit higher.
A2theIzzo
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk