My interview with Joe Paterno - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My interview with Joe Paterno

Moderator: Football Moderators

My interview with Joe Paterno

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:51 pm

that is happening in about an hour or so, as I am an intern for the WB17 in Philadelphia. The guys on the baseball side and I have been discussing and I wanted to share it with you guys over here. I am very excited as they dont often give an intern working his butt off this kind of opprotunity but since they have I figure I'm going to do everything I can to make this interview unique.

Does anyone have anything that should be asked to Paterno or some fun facts about him that might be cool to use? By the way I ill not be shown on camera only Paterno on tonight's 10pm evening edition on the WB. Thanks so much for the help guys, we've alreday got questions on topics such as retirement, prospects for the upcoming season, the roster, and reaching out to the community. This is all very exciting to me and I figured one of these ;-D would be appropriate.
I'm a New York Times guy, living in a PEOPLE magazine world.
perlick29 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafecasterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:17 pm

All I gotta say is....Have Fun With It! ;-D B-)
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Wow, I'm jealous.

If I'm home (which is unlikely), I'll be sure to tune in.

Have fun! ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:06 pm

Good luck ;-D

Ask him about when he got hit with a snowball when they played Michigan a few years back.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:18 pm

Joe P. is a cool guy. He proved it to me one time. Check this out:
I'm a schoolteacher and a couple of years ago I had this kid in my class and the kid was a really good football player. But alas, the kid broke his collarbone early in the year and had to miss the season. Tough kid too - a big hitter.
Anyway, before the injury, whenever the phone would ring I would answer and then say ... "Serefini, its Joe Paterno. He wants to talk to you". The kid laughed every time.
Now he's hurt and kinda bummed out. I called Joe P. 's secretary, asked if there was any way I could get Joe P. to write this kid a get well letter, and in about a week this kid gets a handwritten letter from Joe, telling him to hang in there and keep working hard, help the team out whenever you can and ... get this ... let him know how he's doing.
I have the highest regard for Joe. Big people walk in big steps and that letter showed me just how big his step really is.
The kid recovered to play in the last game of the season and damn near ran a punt back for the winning TD with about 3 seconds to go. He was the short man and the other team shanked one right to him. We should've written Joe and told him about it but we didn't.
Young Mr. Serefini is now in some South American foreign exchange school program, kicking pretty serious *ss in some semi-pro soccer league. Last time I saw him he grabbed me and hollered "Joe Paterno" ... ha ha ha.
Anybody wants to say anything bad about Joe P, they can kiss my southern, SEC lovin whoopseedaisy. ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby airraid81 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:38 pm

Ask him about his relationship with Vince Lombardi. I heard they were friends back in the day.
NFL=No Fun Leauge
NFL=No Farting League
NFL=Nude Freaks League
NFL=Nothing For Losers
NFL=Non-Fierce Lions (Det)
NFL=Nat'l Frog League
Him name is Hopkin Green, where is he?!
airraid81
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:50 pm

Lushcrush wrote:Joe P. is a cool guy. He proved it to me one time. Check this out:
I'm a schoolteacher and a couple of years ago I had this kid in my class and the kid was a really good football player. But alas, the kid broke his collarbone early in the year and had to miss the season. Tough kid too - a big hitter.
Anyway, before the injury, whenever the phone would ring I would answer and then say ... "Serefini, its Joe Paterno. He wants to talk to you". The kid laughed every time.
Now he's hurt and kinda bummed out. I called Joe P. 's secretary, asked if there was any way I could get Joe P. to write this kid a get well letter, and in about a week this kid gets a handwritten letter from Joe, telling him to hang in there and keep working hard, help the team out whenever you can and ... get this ... let him know how he's doing.
I have the highest regard for Joe. Big people walk in big steps and that letter showed me just how big his step really is.
The kid recovered to play in the last game of the season and damn near ran a punt back for the winning TD with about 3 seconds to go. He was the short man and the other team shanked one right to him. We should've written Joe and told him about it but we didn't.
Young Mr. Serefini is now in some South American foreign exchange school program, kicking pretty serious *ss in some semi-pro soccer league. Last time I saw him he grabbed me and hollered "Joe Paterno" ... ha ha ha.
Anybody wants to say anything bad about Joe P, they can kiss my southern, SEC lovin whoopseedaisy. ;-D

Very cool story. It's good to see something about Paterno aside from all the "when's he gonna retire" crap we get crammed down our throats every college football season.

Joe's a class act. You've gotta love the respect and passion he's had for the game all these years.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Ask him if the school vision benefit package doesn't comensate for new frames.

:-D
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 pm

awwchrist wrote:Ask him if the school vision benefit package doesn't comensate for new frames.

:-D

Careful Aww ... no more love for Joe P. than that and I might call Hamlin and tell him to come over there and dope slap you :-#
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Tell him to keep coaching, as a Michigan fan, I love watching Penn State fall on their face. :-b
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk