FYI: The Bus is parked; he's a backup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FYI: The Bus is parked; he's a backup

Moderator: Football Moderators

FYI: The Bus is parked; he's a backup

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:31 pm

Zereoue beats out Bettis in the backfield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

As training camp broke Wednesday, Steelers coach Bill Cowher announced that Amos Zereoue will start at running back and Jay Riemersma will start at tight end.

Cowher called his lineup-changing decisions a "gut feeling." Jerome Bettis, one of the league's best power backs and coming off his one of his best offseasons of conditioning, was expected to be the starter. Riemersma beat out Mark Bruener at tight end.

Bruener accepted a paycut from $2.05 million to $800,000 to remain with the team this season. During the offseason, Cowher said Zereoue and Bettis would compete for the starting job, which is indeed what unfolded during camp.

Zereoue, 26, is in his fifth season with the Steelers and made five starts, all during last season. He rushed for 762 yards on 193 carries and caught 42 passes for 341 yards.

Bettis, a five-time Pro Bowl selection beginning his 11th season, has rushed for 11,542 yards. He missed five games last year.

Riemersma was signed from the Bills during the offseason to give the Steelers more pass protection from the tight end position. The seven-year veteran has 204 career receptions for 2,304 yards, including a 53-catch 2001 season. Bruener is considered one of the league's best blocking tight ends but has missed 10 games over the past two seasons because of injury. His best season for receptions was 26 in 1995, his rookie season.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:37 pm

Wow, now that definitely will change my draft approach...
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fntsyrookie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:39 pm

That's great that he's starting, but keep in mind it's still going to be a RBBC approach. At least that's my opinion anyways.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:45 pm

Big news. So does Bettis turn into Pitts version of Moe Williams, or would Zereoue get goal-line carries?
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DUKE » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:49 pm

9er Fan wrote:Big news. So does Bettis turn into Pitts version of Moe Williams, or would Zereoue get goal-line carries?

That's what I was wondering. I'm sure Bettis will still see some touches. Another thing to wonder is if Zereoue can stay healthy as a starting back.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:09 pm

Where would you rank him? In the C-Mart/Barlow/Dunn class?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:13 pm

9er Fan wrote:Big news. So does Bettis turn into Pitts version of Moe Williams, or would Zereoue get goal-line carries?

CHECK this out:
By Jerry DiPaola
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Running back Jerome Bettis said he treated minicamp this year like an audition -- and not just for the Steelers.
Bettis said Tuesday he thought seriously about having to leave the team after coach Bill Cowher raised questions about his future at a news conference two days after the end of the 2002-03 season.

"I prepared accordingly when I came into minicamp," Bettis said. "It was an audition here, but ultimately, it was serving notice to all the other teams that, 'Hey, he's ready.'

"It wasn't a situation where I came in to try and impress these guys. Yeah, I wanted to do that because I wanted to stay here, but I also knew that there were some other teams out there that, hey, if I'm ready to go, it should be interesting."

What a total surprise. All the news re: Bettis coming out of camp was good.
As incredible as it seems - is Cowher letting The Bus go? Now?
I can't quite see Jerome Bettis accepting a back-up role.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:45 pm

There is always room in the CFL
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby doodels » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:53 pm

"We will use Jerome and Amos a lot," said Cowher. "Both of them will play, and hopefully we'll be able to keep them fresh all year. But we don't have any preconceived notions. Whoever is running the best will play.

"I just made a gut decision. It wasn't a case where one guy outplayed the other. Both guys will play. This position is not like quarterback. You can alternate running backs."

that doesnt sound good. Im new btw sup
Half you morons should never have made it past puberity...I blame bike helmets.
doodels
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby cwebb » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:13 pm

Yeah we already heard better news...

welcome doodels, hope you will enjoy the cafe!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk