3rd year WR's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3rd year WR's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:15 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Bradg533 wrote:Nate Burleson will be money this year ;-D

We'll see.

I dont think he is all that good, nor do I think CPepp is that accurate of a passer, but I see the running game being so poor that they will have to throw more often than in the past, so it could even out in the end.

I don't understand that statement. He's probably the most accurate passer in the league. He's completed 64.4% of his passes for his career, which is more accurate than Manning.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:35 pm

Azrael wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

We'll see.

I dont think he is all that good, nor do I think CPepp is that accurate of a passer, but I see the running game being so poor that they will have to throw more often than in the past, so it could even out in the end.

I don't understand that statement. He's probably the most accurate passer in the league. He's completed 64.4% of his passes for his career, which is more accurate than Manning.

Completion % is a disceiving statistic in that it doesnt describe a QBs accuracy but rather a QBs and his WRs combined abilities to make receptions. There is a distinct difference.

I fully believe Cpepp's high completion % is a reflection of him chucking the ball downfield to the best WR in the league since he has joined the NFL. This is one of those arguments we can go round and round on, but will have to settle on "we'll see".

For the record, I dont think Cpepp is a very accurate passer and isnt very good at reading defenses. I believe this will be his worse yr for compeltion% in his career to date, but his totals should still remain high due to a lack of a running game.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
ROYALWITCHEESE wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
ROYALWITCHEESE wrote:No love for Jacobs?

None.

As a Skins fan, I'd like to see him do something, but I think all the guys on my list have more potential....

Taylor Jacobs was a product of Steve Spurrier's NCAA-style offense - a style that has been proven not to work well in the NFL, or in DC.....

But D Jackson is doing well and Gaffney seems to be getting better. Surely Jacobs has a shot.

Taylor Jacobs is a local kid.... He played high-school ball about 1 mile from where I am sitting right now... I've been watching him play since high school.... And he was a GREAT high school player... A very good college player (because of the offense he was in), and he'll be a mediocre NFL player, but I just don't see the upside that I see in the other guys....

I've seen Taylor Jacobs play in person 15+ times, and from that I can tell you that he's just flat out not very good. He's got good speed, but he has hands that make Koren Robinson look like Jerry Rice.

Even beyond the flat out stone-cold drops, there were soooooooooooo many times in college that he had a chance to make a play and just flat out didn't. I'm talking those deep balls in one on one coverage where the ball is underthrown and the WR comes back to it, stuff like that. Seemed like he always had a chance to make a big play and just never could quite do it unless the ball was thrown so perfectly that he didn't have to adjust his body or his speed by an inch, and even then half the time it fell helplessly to the ground right through his arms.

As a lifelong Gator fan, I hate him. He was a plague to our 2003 season.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:09 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

We'll see.

They'll still beat the Lions :-D
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:00 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

We'll see.

They'll still beat the Lions :-D

we'll see

Do you know what the difference between the '04 Queens and the '04 Lions was? 4 points. Queens were 8-8 while the Lions ended up 6-10. The two games between them were won by the Queens by a total of 4 points.

I know the Lions got a LOT better over the offseasonn on both sides of the ball, but its anyones guess if the Queens rebuilding makes them better. Defensively they had to have gotten better, but offensively I think they have taken a few steps backwards.

November 6th. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadScott » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:15 am

Azrael wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

We'll see.

My .02 says that Pennington is the most accurate in the league. His career % is slightly higher than Culpepper's and he hasn't had the luxury of a Moss. I remember a few years back when Moss said that Penny was the most accurate passer he's ever played with to date, including Culpepper.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:38 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I know the Lions got a LOT better over the offseasonn on both sides of the ball

DOH!

Yes, that was a poor attempt at making an analogy to homer, or in this case, a homer.

;) :)
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flux » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:14 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

We'll see.

Completion % is a disceiving statistic in that it doesnt describe a QBs accuracy but rather a QBs and his WRs combined abilities to make receptions. There is a distinct difference.

I fully believe Cpepp's high completion % is a reflection of him chucking the ball downfield to the best WR in the league since he has joined the NFL. This is one of those arguments we can go round and round on, but will have to settle on "we'll see".

For the record, I dont think Cpepp is a very accurate passer and isnt very good at reading defenses. I believe this will be his worse yr for compeltion% in his career to date, but his totals should still remain high due to a lack of a running game.

Moss was out weeks 7-11 last season

During those games Culpeppers comp/atts were 113/166 for 68%

I also dont know why you keep saying that MINs running game is going to be poor. The difference between last year and this year will be no SoD (a negative), a healthy Bennett (a positive), Kleinsasser is back to block (a positive) and the addition of Fason (a positive or neutral).

Last year MIN only ran for 1823 yds ranking 18th in the NFL w/ SoD accounting for 544 yds and 2 TDs

in 2003 with still a hurt Bennett and a healthy Kleinsasser MIN ran for 2343 yds and ranked 4th in the NFL. SoD contributed 579 yds and 5 TDs.

In 2002 with a healthy Bennett, a healthy Kleinsasser and no SoD, MIN as a team ran for for 2507 yds and was #1 in the NFL. Normally MIN is a very good running team. Last year was the year that broke the trend and they will go back to being a very big force in the rushing game. It probably wont all fall on to Bennett as Moe and Moore will get some work, but I can easily see MIN getting back in the top 10 and possibly the top 5 in rushing.

Im not aware of any O-line departures and SoD only contributes to 500 or so yards a year, which isnt the end of the world to lose.

*Note - Kleinsasser usually gets hurt every year in some capacity, but usually not for many games
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:18 pm

Flux wrote:Moss was out weeks 7-11 last season

During those games Culpeppers comp/atts were 113/166 for 68%

Seriously Flux - this isnt the first time this argument has been had. I knew that you were going to bring up that statistic if you chose to debate this topic. Its the first thing any pro-Cpepp person says.
The rebuttal? They didnt face a defense ranked higher than 20th during that same period - besides 5 games isnt a large enough sample size to draw many conclusions from.
To me the main reason I question his ability is simply because of the role Moss played. I do not doubt Cpepps ability to chuck the ball long. Since Moss basically runs go routes or deep posts, Cpepps strength was the perfect compliment - he didnt need to get it all that close - again, thats one of Moss's strengths - to adjust his routes when the ball is aired out.

Flux wrote:I also dont know why you keep saying that MINs running game is going to be poor. The difference between last year and this year will be no SoD (a negative), a healthy Bennett (a positive), Kleinsasser is back to block (a positive) and the addition of Fason (a positive or neutral).

You are completely missing the biggest loss to their running game. Randy Moss. The reason I think Minny's running game will suffer the most is because they wont have defensive secondaries shading deep anymore. Combine that with the loss of their starting RB - OSmith, and you are left gaping IMO. They are starting the yr with Breakable Bennett, a 4th rd sophmore (who did look good in very limited action - I'll give him that), and a 4th rd rookie, plus a 3rd down and short yardage special teamer in Moe Williams. To me, this is the worst the Queens have looked offensively since the early 90's.

You believe what you want about Minny, seems like everyone and their uncle has them as a lock to win the division. I guess I see things differently.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:35 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I know the Lions got a LOT better over the offseasonn on both sides of the ball

DOH!

Yes, that was a poor attempt at making an analogy to homer, or in this case, a homer.

;) :)

Since its so slow around here, I will jump at the opportunity to engage in one of my favorite activities - being a Homer! ;-D

Lets see - whats new for the Leo's in '05 that was missing in '04:

Offense Additions:
CRogers
Roy Williams (he was injured the majority of the yr, so I count him being healthy as an upgrade to last yr)
Mike Williams
Kevin Johnson
Marcus Pollard
Kevin Jones (due to injuries and normal rookie development he only got fulltime touches for 6 games last yr - so Id consider a healthy KJones from week 1 an upgrade over lst yr too)
DeMulling
Kelly Butler (future stud - watch)
Oh yeah - Kyle Kosier as a backup util G.
Edit - I forgot about Jeff Garcia too - arguably the best backup in the NFL.

Offense Subtractions:
McDougal

Defensive Additions:
Boss Bailey
Kenoy Kennedy
Terrence Holt (Sophmore)
Shaun Cody, Swancutt, and Goddard (rookies)
Fernando Bryant and Dre Bly healthy again
Plus the development of our youngsters like Rogers, Lehman, Hall, Redding, Lewis, and Davis

Defensive Subtractions:
Brock Marion

Can you tell Im excited for the season to start? ;-D :-b
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk